•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I've always had a feeling that as much as it purports to speak for the typical working class person, the Sun is aimed more of a stereotype, that once only existed in the minds of sneering middle class people. But they've been so effective at disseminating it that it's become reality. Just through sheer persistence and undercutting the opposition.

It may be apocryphal, but there was a story during the Leveson inquiry about a Sun reader who was so reliant on the paper that he'd phone up to ask the time, what the weather was doing, all sorts of stuff. But it reminded me of when I'd occasionally read it as a kid (usually in open mouthed disbelief), and was always struck by how it told its readers not to think. That there was a virtue in swallowing their set of prepackaged ideas.
Samanfur liked this
I've said it before, but one of my first memories of realising that I disagreed with my parents about politics was reading one of my Dad's Daily Mails, and realising something similar.

It might use a slightly more advanced vocabulary and quote source texts without pictures and large print, but like a US pastor reading the Bible from the pulpit, it still purports to have all of the answers and opinions, so you don't have to think and form them for yourself.
AOB liked this
Mr McDandy and Samanfur have the right of it. For all the talk of middle-class lefties condescending to and patronising the real, proper people of this country (TM), no one does it more, nor more effectively than the right wing press.
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Abernathy wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:37 pm
I was confusing this with the possibly slightly racist Kia-Ora ad.

Good God, I remember that ad so well!
Ditto. Through my 2019 eyes, it's more semi-lazy stereotypes than attempted racism. Could see how a few might see it differently however.

I remember animated advertisements for the rival drink Um Bongo in the same era. In 2019 I'd say they'd have Trading Standards and the ASA on their back about the claim that "they drink it in the Congo" :wink:
spoonman wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:52 pm
Boiler wrote:
Abernathy wrote:

Ditto. Through my 2019 eyes, it's more semi-lazy stereotypes than attempted racism. Could see how a few might see it differently however.

I remember animated advertisements for the rival drink Um Bongo in the same era. In 2019 I'd say they'd have Trading Standards and the ASA on their back about the claim that "they drink it in the Congo" :wink:
It's certainly paying homage to a style of cartooning from the early 40s in the US.
spoonman wrote:
Boiler wrote:
Abernathy wrote:

Wheras I wondered: Brazzaville or Kinshasa?
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:58 pm
spoonman wrote:
Boiler wrote:

It's certainly paying homage to a style of cartooning from the early 40s in the US.
It's based (loosely) on Disney's 'Song of the South' - now removed from their lists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_South
Jess Phillips

I see that Jess has a new book coming out, called […]

MMR Jab

Long after it was debunked they liked to ride two […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

He's absolutely running down the clock, because […]

The Sun

Song of the Yellowhammer "A little bit of br[…]