•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's Twitter writ large, that reaction. Dullards cheering something they don't really grasp. Shapiro is a classic contrarian dimwit (cheered by people for pissing off the libs, irrespective of what else is going on - endlessly pathetic), but Neil's a cockend too. All in the sea plz.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
cycloon wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 pm
It's Twitter writ large, that reaction. Dullards cheering something they don't really grasp. Shapiro is a classic contrarian dimwit (cheered by people for pissing off the libs, irrespective of what else is going on - endlessly pathetic), but Neil's a cockend too. All in the sea plz.
A wag has suggested that Shapiro should have been forced to carry the interview to term.

By Boiler
I immediately ignored that once I saw one of the contributors was Ash Sarkar.

It has attracted interest elsewhere: a consensus seemed to be forming that the problem is within Broadcasting House, but not within regional news which still remains close to a Reithian objective.
spoonman liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
You should read Nick Lowles' section:

Nick Lowles: ‘We have to be critical friends and say there are some things they are doing well, and some they are not’

Chief executive of anti-racism and anti-extremism movement HOPE not hate

The BBC is vitally important, but it’s being politically attacked and it needs defending. That’s why we have to be critical friends and say that, while there are some things they are doing well, there are some things they’re not doing well.

There’s been a concerted effort recently to have alternative views on programmes such as Today or PM, and rightly so, but that requires interviewers to act responsibly, and I don’t think they always do.

Straight after the Christchurch shootings, there was an interview on Newsnight with the UK leader of the far-right Generation Identity group. Many people felt it was an uncritical interview, especially given that the suspect had drawn inspiration from GI’s “great replacement” narrative and the later revelations that he had donated to the group’s Austrian chapter.
Advertisement

Also in March, Newsnight ran a piece on Tommy Robinson (Stephen Yaxley-Lennon) where the imagery surrounding the package was a picture of Robinson with tape across his face. This played into his narrative that he’s a freedom‑of‑speech warrior.

Quite often, the interviewer isn’t well equipped to take on these people. There’s a complacency with extremist figures such as Robinson or Anjem Choudary, where it’s assumed it’ll be easy to interview them, but these people are political street fighters and often they run rings around the interviewer, simply because they don’t conform to the normal ways that politicians act in interviews. They just make things up, deny things. Rather than acting as a platform for these cranks, the BBC should be better equipped to challenge them, and interviewers should be more prepared to say: “This is nonsense.”
lord_kobel, Samanfur liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:18 pm
I immediately ignored that once I saw one of the contributors was Ash Sarkar.

It has attracted interest elsewhere: a consensus seemed to be forming that the problem is within Broadcasting House, but not within regional news which still remains close to a Reithian objective.
However BBC Scotland's news is regularly criticised for being strongly pro-unionist.
don't lean heavily in either direction, but I've certainly seen a few reports when I've thought:
Whoah, can they actually say that and claim they're reporting news.
By randomelement
Membership Days Membership Days
That's appaling. Complaint sent to BBC. It's only the the 3rd I've sent in about 10 years.
I'd like to send one about their Brexit Vox Pops, but I don't see the point as they just waffle about will of the people. But this a factual error so they should do something*.

*I know they won't but it's worth a try.

By Boiler
Bonnie Grier is currently taking the BBC to task over their promotion and consequent legitimisation of Farage. It's on Woman's Hour at the moment, iPlayer/Sounds later.

I can't wait for the BBC to put that old bastard out to grass.
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
I watched BBC Breakfast news this morning and it was quite clear that the presenters had all been prepped to cover an historic victory for the Brexit Party in Peterborough. Even though the Brexit candidate didn't win the presenters stuck to the original script asking Andy McDonald to explain Labours poor performance in the by-election. Farage was interviewed later and trotted out all kinds of nonsense without being challenged by the presenter. When he was asked why the party didn't have a manifesto he simply said that he didn't like the word 'manifesto,'
Priti Patel

FFS! https://twitter.com/damocrat/status/11536413[…]

The Brexit Party

Richard Tice is sueing Femi. Lance Foreman is on […]

He'd be worse because he's got a sense of himself […]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

It seems that establishing an independant process […]