•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 pm
Farage was interviewed later and trotted out all kinds of nonsense without being challenged by the presenter. When he was asked why the party didn't have a manifesto he simply said that he didn't like the word 'manifesto,'
Understandable. It doesn’t have a nasty foreign ring to it. Isn't there a good old English equivalent?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Roy Greenslade, writing in The Guardian, about vox pops (much discussed in this parish)
Why does TV news use so many vox pops?

I now find myself paraphrasing Brenda from Bristol’s reaction to news of the 2017 election: “You’re joking. Not another bloody vox pop. Oh, for God’s sake.” Brenda is the only vox popper ever to make a memorable contribution to such an artless form of newsgathering.

That’s the problem, because reporters bearing microphones, cameras at their shoulder, now haunt the streets of Britain in the hope of finding another Brenda, another piece of comedy gold. After all, it’s about entertaining viewers rather than informing them, is it not?

Ivor Gaber, professor of political journalism at Sussex University and a former TV and radio news broadcaster, believes the overuse of vox pops has reached its apotheosis during the Brexit coverage, which has been skewed heavily towards those opposed to EU membership.

He imagines the thought process of news editors: “Let’s do vox pops in a solid leaver area where we’ll get people to say, ‘Why don’t they just get on with it’. Much better than a remain area where they’re likely to say, ‘Well, on the one hand …’”

I can’t be sure of the political slant because I haven’t studied the output as closely as Gaber. But every time I see a vox pop about any subject, whether on the BBC, ITV or Sky, I know it is not going to reveal anything of any value.

In a piece defending the practice, Mark Easton, the BBC’s home affairs editor, argued that vox pops are “a vital ingredient in trying to understand Britain”.

Sorry Mark, that just isn’t so. If you want to be sure, why not go into the street and ask people if vox pops help them understand anything? But please don’t broadcast the result.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
I now find myself paraphrasing Brenda from Bristol’s reaction to news of the 2017 election: “You’re joking. Not another bloody vox pop. Oh, for God’s sake.” Brenda is the only vox popper ever to make a memorable contribution to such an artless form of newsgathering.
Ah now, she's no Rurai McSorley...

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
The BBC – An Orwellian Risk to UK Democracy?
June 9, 2019
http://www.brexitshambles.com/the-bbc-a ... cal-party/

(From NS linked above) Update 13.04, 6/6/19
Hmmmmmmm. The BBC seems to have accepted it should have mentioned Hewertson’s main political credential, in an update tweeted last night at the take-out-the-trash Twitter time of 6.14pm: “Emily is also an influencer for Turning Point UK, thanks to those that asked us to make this clear”. Why it wasn’t made clear in the actual interview is the question, though – and one it hasn’t even offered a limp tweet to answer.

See also

Everything You Need To Know About The Launch of Turning Point UK
05/02/2019
https://www.hopenothate.org.uk/2019/02/ ... -point-uk/

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
The BBC are scrapping free licences for over-75's (housesholds with one person who receives Pension Credit exempt)

I suspect those who will be the most furious and vocal about this will be the people who will tell anybody who'll listen that they never ever watch the lefty 'Bias Broadcasting Corporation'.

TV Licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:I suspect those who will be the most furious and vocal about this will be the people who will tell anybody who'll listen that they never ever watch the lefty 'Bias Broadcasting Corporation'.
For sure.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:21 pm
But will take to any BBC SYB on the matter....
Posted by RAMBOt666 on Just now

STOP the Propaganda tax ✔️
And the ignorance:
Steve on 3 minutes ago

Really, its not about Pensioners - the license fee is anachronistic - other countries don't have it. Why should anybody pay for the BBC unless they want to watch it?
I pay it here in France - it's part of my Taxe d'habitation - and I can claim it back when I reach 75...

And the level of literacy genuinely appalls:
Posted by Badger on 3 minutes ago

Everybody coming in this Country should be made aware about a t.v license. We are the only Country who charge to watch t.v in the world.
Because the b.b.c been going for years, don't make it right. It's like I do a shop at Aldi and Tesco want three pound, because they are there first!!.
celio on 7 minutes ago

I don't watch BBC channels for years as they are full of rubbish so why i should i pay for this muppets geting millions of ££££ . you can get all the major sports events on line and feeded thru your smart tv its just like eating a free meal
None seem to realise that this is in response to the government cutting the BBC's money and pushing the cost of over-75 licences onto the corporation.
By visage
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Roy Greenslade, writing in The Guardian, about vox pops (much discussed in this parish)
Why does TV news use so many vox pops?

That’s the problem, because reporters bearing microphones, cameras at their shoulder, now haunt the streets of Britain in the hope of finding another Brenda, another piece of comedy gold. After all, it’s about entertaining viewers rather than informing them, is it not?

Ivor Gaber, professor of political journalism at Sussex University and a former TV and radio news broadcaster, believes the overuse of vox pops has reached its apotheosis during the Brexit coverage, which has been skewed heavily towards those opposed to EU membership.

He imagines the thought process of news editors: “Let’s do vox pops in a solid leaver area where we’ll get people to say, ‘Why don’t they just get on with it’. Much better than a remain area where they’re likely to say, ‘Well, on the one hand …’”

I can’t be sure of the political slant because I haven’t studied the output as closely as Gaber. But every time I see a vox pop about any subject, whether on the BBC, ITV or Sky, I know it is not going to reveal anything of any value.

In a piece defending the practice, Mark Easton, the BBC’s home affairs editor, argued that vox pops are “a vital ingredient in trying to understand Britain”.

Sorry Mark, that just isn’t so. If you want to be sure, why not go into the street and ask people if vox pops help them understand anything? But please don’t broadcast the result.
The idea that you understand Britain by highlighting ignorance, while seemingly brushing your own duty to 'educate and inform' under the carpet seems perverse.

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:12 pm

And the ignorance:
Steve on 3 minutes ago

Really, its not about Pensioners - the license fee is anachronistic - other countries don't have it. Why should anybody pay for the BBC unless they want to watch it?
I pay it here in France - it's part of my Taxe d'habitation - and I can claim it back when I reach 75...

And the level of literacy genuinely appalls:
Posted by Badger on 3 minutes ago

Everybody coming in this Country should be made aware about a t.v license. We are the only Country who charge to watch t.v in the world.
Because the b.b.c been going for years, don't make it right. It's like I do a shop at Aldi and Tesco want three pound, because they are there first!!.
None seem to realise that this is in response to the government cutting the BBC's money and pushing the cost of over-75 licences onto the corporation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

Mmmm. So that's most of Western Europe then.

IIRC making the BBC pay for the licences would have returned it to a two-channel station.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Outrage as 'arrogant' BBC scraps free TV licences for 3.7m pensioners and unveils plans to means-test over-75s
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... unces.html

artlea, thurso, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
At 79 years old, I live alone, and of course, on a pension. Just heating one room, takes any spare money, so the TV, a link to the outside world, will have to go.I am sure, there will be many more like me as well. I started work at 16 years old, never out of work, never claimed out of work benefits, retired at 71 years old. Any bets on when they start charging for the air we breath?
+4656 -191
ColP, Ware, 3 hours ago
It's long past time that the privatised was sold off & this TAX was scrapped.
+2708 -63
Pandi, Manchester, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
TV licence should be scrapped all together. Very biased reporting, pushing a very liberal agenda. NOT in the best interest of the British public!!
+2400 -58
moaningme, london, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
So again those that saved and worked all their lives have to yet again pay for those that didn't. Why do we bother working I wonder
+1649 -40
Lyricalwizard, Lancashire, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
I'm going to cancel my pension. Pointless paying into anything AND working because I'll get nothing in 40 years while lazy dole dossers get it all free
+1553 -55
C-Bird, London, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
The way this country treats the elderly is despicable. These are people who have worked hard and paid their taxes for most of their lives. The very least we can do so that they enjoy their retirement is give them a free TV license. For many who live alone this is a source of comfort and the only company most get as they live alone. The BBC is old guard TV full of repeats with very little original content and definitely not worth paying 154 a year. Netflix is cheaper and definitely worth the money.
+1277 -43
My opinion, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
Should have a choice if you don't want to watch Brussels Broadcasting they should be able to swatch you off and you don't pay.
+1047 -29

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Should be worth pointing out that it isn't the BBC whom are scraping the free TV Licence, it is the Tories whom are stopping funding the cost of free licences to over 75's and in doing so passed the buck to the BBC to make up the shortfall.

Don't let the bastards get away that this was the Beeb's idea, it was the Beeb's response to something they were palmed off with.
Jeremy Corbyn.

I can see why he would do it - it still gives him […]

Richard Littlejohn

Marine A allegedly executed an injured prisoner […]

https://twitter.com/IanLaveryMP/status/11413151062[…]

The Sun

THE SUN SAYS The one thing made clear in the Tor[…]