•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Well whaddaya know - we don't have a Newsnight thread.

Anyway, just now Gove being righteously monstered by Harriet Harman and hissing like a desperate cornered rat. Nice one, Hats.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
Unsurprisingly, the Torygraph thinks that Gove put on a jolly good show:

London riots: Harriet Harman attempts to link EMA cut and tuition fees to the anarchy in Britain's cities

I think there has to be a strong element of desperation in the reporting, since anyone can see the Government hasn't made a very good job of dealing with the situation.

By bluebellnutter
Oh the right-wing press are getting desperate for a number of things, namely the following...

1. Find a minority to pin it on, preferably the Muslims
2. Be able to make Labour politicians attacking the Government over it look bad
3. Be able to exonerate the current Government, and especially their programme of cuts which they have endorsed so readily
4. Be able to get the police to be able to tool up and have a proper crackdown, if some of them die then so be it they can be smeared
5. If a protestor is killed hope they're black and with a well-documented history of trouble-making
6. See curbs on Facebook and Twitter which will include ending criticism of them

Thus far the closest they've come is a bit of 2 in the early stages and possibly a little bit of 4, albeit not as much as they'd like

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Tom_MKUK wrote:Michael Gove comes close to losing cool with Harriet Harman on TV over riots

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/wint ... rietharman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would he spit all over the camera like the original (and best) Pob.

[youtube]tu0n6oDTxi0[/youtube]

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
Yet another Torygraph piece attacking Harriet Harman's appearance on Newsnight yesterday:

Harriet Harman and the intellectual bankruptcy of the 'progressive' Left

Thing is, when the comments underneath contain such gems as the following, I don't really see the right being able to claim the moral or intellectual high-ground:
The fact that this despicable woman breathes the same air that I do enrages me. I have nothing further to say on the vermin.
Of course she would defend the rioters. They are after all, her children.

If HH wants to point fingers and attribute blame she should begin by looking at a mirror. The blame lies with her and all of her ideological antecedents. These riots are the crowing glory of the leftist/feminist counter-cultural revolutions that began in the 60s and 70s. These fanatics have spread the cultural acid that has eaten away at the moral fabric of western civilization, leading to this inevitable terrible result
Harriet Harman is a disgrace of a human being. Apart from being highly uninformed she is also a dreadful opportunist who is simply trying to milk this situation for her own political ambitions. She should remember that she and her Blair/Brown cronies are the reason why these scumbags are on the streets.

However, I think that many of the Guardian reading, fair trade coffee drinking, middle classes of the "pink and fluffy" persuasion are starting to lose patience with people like her. They'll soon start to lose their pious lefty morals when they realise their leafy suburban house is about to be burnt down by a bunch of chav scum.
'They'll soon start to lose their pious lefty morals when they realise
their leafy suburban house is about to be burnt down by a bunch of chav
scum.' ....

Well said indeed. It seems they really do need to get their hands burnt.
One of them also types (I assume with a straight face):
At least Melanie [Phillips] gets it - as usual
I won't link to Mel's blog, but here are some choice extracts:
As I have been writing for more than twenty years, a society that embraces mass fatherlessness is a society that is going off the edge of a cliff. There are whole areas of Britain (white as well as black) where committed fathers are a wholly unknown phenomenon; where serial generations are being brought up only by mothers, through whose houses pass transitory males by whom these girls and women have yet more children, and whose own daughters inevitably repeat the pattern of lone and utterly dysfunctional parenting.

The result is fatherless boys who are suffused by an existential rage and desperate psychic need, who take out the damage done to them by lashing out from infancy at the world around them. And all this is effectively condoned, rewarded and encouraged by the welfare state which conceives of need solely in terms of absence of money, and which accordingly subsidises lone parenthood and the destructive behaviour that welfare fatherlessness brings in its train.

And the unutterably wicked thing is that this catastrophe has been deliberately willed upon Britain by left-wing politicians, well-heeled media feminists and other middle-class ideologues who wrap their utter contempt for the poor in the mantle of ‘progressive’ non-judgmentalism, witlessly prattling about poverty and social justice and hurling execrations at anyone who suggests that lone parenthood is in general a catastrophe for children (and a disaster for women) and that the state should stop subsidising family and social breakdown and start encouraging married parenthood instead.

What we have seen unfolding before our horrified gaze over the past four days in Britain is the true legacy of Tony Blair’s shattering defeat, in the two years or so after he came to power in 1997, at the hands of the ultra-feminists and cultural Marxist wreckers in his Cabinet and party who were determined above all to destroy the traditional nuclear family and institute the sexual free-for-all that exists today. Blair stood virtually alone against Gramsci’s acolytes, and lost.

One of them, Harriet Harman, was on TV last night preposterously blaming cuts in educational allowances, of all things, for the fact that teenagers and pre-pubescent children have been torching and looting shops and robbing and murdering people in the streets. It was Harman, of course, who was one of the principal forces behind the promotion of lone parenthood and the marginalisation of fathers as the only progressive position. Yet here she is, faced with the Hobbesian scenes of violent anarchy which are the result of those policies, still parroting the same old claptrap and still totally incapable of acknowledging the terrible damage to individuals, social destruction and de-civilisation she has helped wreak.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
Yet more Harman bashing:

Gove's rage as Harriet blames cuts: Labour deputy tries to make political gain out of riots in Newsnight clash with Tory minister

Harman accused after urging government to 'think again' about their polices
Mr Gove says it is 'ludicrous' to link the cuts to the unrest
Ed Miliband warns Miss Harman, saying their party would 'not engage in simplistic explanations'
Even left wing New Statesman magazine says the cuts are not to blame

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1Uht7yqmB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comments unavailable at the moment, but I predict a lot of "Harriet Harperson", that "vile woman", &c. &c.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:That Katharine Birbalsingh is one freaky lookin' woman.
I think that's what passes as a complement (if not a come-on) in yoof parlance.
I'll check with the local grime DJ and get back to you - blud.

By AOB
Messianic Trees wrote:Mr Gove says it is 'ludicrous' to link the cuts to the unrest
Same word used by Clegg this morning. When the Greek riots kicked off in May, if you were to ask all these people currently denying the UK cuts have anything whatsoever to do with our riots what the Greek riots were about then how many of them would have said it's over the Greek Government's austerity measures? ALL of them would have. Yet when similar happens here they refuse point plank to accept the cuts are even a factor. In say, 100 years time when social history books look back with a cold, neutral eye at the 2011 English riots, the spending cuts implemented by the Coalition Government that came into power in 2010 will not just be discussed but accepted as a major factor in their cause. And readers then will be able to make their own minds up about PM Cameron and Chancellor Osborne.
The Trump Presidency

On the positive side neoliberalism is dying, inc[…]

The Northern Irish thread

She'll have to make 98 or 103 in order to out[…]

Labour, Generally.

If you'd won the argument, you'd be in Downing Str[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Johnson went to Brussels to agree to accept the […]