•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts

I wish that the entirety of the political staff of the BBC weren't all school-tie wearing Tories. Honestly I see little value in its political coverage atm. Also concerned that it's hard for a Labour government to put any pressure on it since the BBCs threat of defunding comes from the right. I guess they could review the charter and put in massively stringent political balance rules to try to force out people like Neil, Kussenberg etc.

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
I never thought I'd say this ten years ago, but I always choose Sky over the BBC for news these days, as they seem to be a bit more clued up, even allowing for Kay Burley. Certainly Faisal Islam and Sophie Ridge seem relatively sensible.
youngian liked this

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Ian Paisley Jr's suspension has one story on the beeb website at the moment. Buried in the NI news section, there'a story built around a quote from Sammy Wilson saying he's probably "suffered enough". Bear in mind that his suspension, and possible recall puts the Government's majority in the balance, the misdeeds aren't exactly minor, and the truth is that it'll likely be a bunch of Sinn Fein voting paddies who do for his career, you'd expect a bit more coverage.

But no.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
KevS wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 pm
I never thought I'd say this ten years ago, but I always choose Sky over the BBC for news these days, as they seem to be a bit more clued up, even allowing for Kay Burley. Certainly Faisal Islam and Sophie Ridge seem relatively sensible.
I saw Adam Boulton turning over some zealot talking nonsense from BBC rentagob favourites Taxpayers Alliance. Boulton wasn't doing anything special just being a reporter asking the questions. Faisal Islam has been a great reporter wherever he's been and a good move by Sky to snap him up as they are filling a void left by the BBC.

Even lefty radicals down at the Radio Times are having a pop at BBC News

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
As for Sarah-Jane Mee, it's always entertaining how you can tell sometimes the person she's interviewing thinks it'll be a doddle as she's someone who came via Sky Sports and is rather easy on the eye, then are taken aback that this jumped up girl has the temerity to ask probing questions.

Sunrise has improved in leaps and bounds since she took over from Holmes.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:52 pm
Even lefty radicals down at the Radio Times are having a pop at BBC News
Certainty is a rare commodity these days but i would imagine that Snoddy's voice still carries considerable weight.

(Edit: Silly typo.)
Last edited by Kreuzberger on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
The Mail have covered Raymond Snoddy's criticisms, and, unsurprisingly, its readers don't agree:
Kernowforever, Saltash, United Kingdom

I think he got that the wrong way round. Some BBC programmes have 3 or 4 Remainers to 1 Brexiteer. I don't think I've seen or read about even one programme where the balance is in favour of Brexit.
Srh, Cheadle, United Kingdom

Dial 999 - somebody with a big net must be looking for this nutcase! The BBC has been overtly pro-Remain the whole time; hardly surprising given the millions it's been paid by the EU in recent years. What IS surprising, however, is that the BBC was ever allowed to accept any such funding given the inherent conflict of interests with its Duty of Impartiality.

By Malcolm Armsteen
cycloon wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 pm
How has the EU funded the BBC?
About €3m Euro, 2007-2012, for development, much in Africa.

Criticised by the usual suspects (Raab, Patel, Daily Telegraph, Rupert Murdoch) at the time.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Woke up this morning and, as I usually do, looked at the news on my phone.

'Top Stories' at the BBC had nothing on Brexit. It's as though it isn't happening. The BBC RSS feed has nothing, either. What must be the biggest story in the UK (if not Europe) - just ignored. This, we are starting to hear, is due to a directive by Tony Hall to say nothing that isn't 'balanced' or not to report 'negative' news... in other words, craven cowardice in the face of Farage and Rees-Mogg.

Sky, on the other hand, have gone full 2nd Ref. Their two top stories are Brexit (albeit one is about their polling on the issue).
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Solicitor General Boris backer Lucy Frazer claimed[…]

Morrissey also says a few things about the Cure f[…]

It's a bit much to call it a Freudian slip I agree[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

You know my stance - I'd block you if I co[…]