Topics about the BBC
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#221526
In as much as the BBC is one of the great civilizing and progressive institutions of the world, I dare say that like most things of that nature, it can't avoid leaning towards humane, compassionate political attitudes, and in that respect it might conceivably be regarded as left wing.

But otherwise, the answer to your question is "No".
By ponce on the heath
Membership Days
#221658
I'd agree there's a general liberal stance but also a fairly obvious bias against the left wing. You only have to watch the coverage of strikes, demonstrations and the like to see that the BBC's reputation as a totally objective organisation is somewhat misplaced. In the interest of fairness however, I would hazard a guess that many of the reasons behind this lie in the pitfalls of the 21st century news reporting model as a whole, rather than any wilful political stance.
By Althea
Membership Days Posts
#221670
ponce on the heath wrote:I'd agree there's a general liberal stance but also a fairly obvious bias against the left wing. You only have to watch the coverage of strikes, demonstrations and the like to see that the BBC's reputation as a totally objective organisation is somewhat misplaced. In the interest of fairness however, I would hazard a guess that many of the reasons behind this lie in the pitfalls of the 21st century news reporting model as a whole, rather than any wilful political stance.
That's true enough.
 
By Emmett Jenner
Membership Days
#223369
The real problem with the BBC is not that they are biased either left or right but that when they get a bee in their bonnet about something they are incredibly powerful in driving home their argument. A perfect example is their un-hinged obsession with 2012 Olympics. I didn’t want them here and I don’t think I’m the only one who feels that way. The BBC ram it down our throats like it’s good for us and we must have as much as possible. A running joke in our house is how many seconds into the ‘news’ bulletin before they mention 2012 or Olympics.

If there is something else they want to push then they will have you waking up in a cold sweat thinking about it.
 
By Emmett Jenner
Membership Days
#223378
lord_kobel wrote:Once again, you appear to be a crazy person...
Seems like a weird thing to say.

You must think either:

a. The Olympics are a brilliant idea
b. The BBC is biased
c. They aren't a powerful organisation

Those were the points I made. If you think that makes me sound crazy then that's ok with me. I appricate of couse that some people will really want the Olympics here and can't wait.
 
By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
#223380
Emmett Jenner wrote:
lord_kobel wrote:Once again, you appear to be a crazy person...
Seems like a weird thing to say.

You must think either:

a. The Olympics are a brilliant idea
b. The BBC is biased
c. They aren't a powerful organisation

Those were the points I made. If you think that makes me sound crazy then that's ok with me. I appricate of couse that some people will really want the Olympics here and can't wait.
That doesn't follow on from what Lord Kobel said at all.
In fact it doesn't make sense as it stands.

The Olympics are an international event and, for most of the population, Britain's hosting of them is a once in a lifetime occurrence. As such it is a major news story.
The BBC quite rightly gives the Olympics due prominence, just as all the other broadcasters do. What has alleged political bias to do with that? All papers, left & right, are covering the Olympics.
Like you, I didn't want the Olympics and I won't be watching them. Unlike you however, I'm not so arrogant as to expect the rest of the world to conform to my will.

Life in your house sounds a scream as you huddle around the TV or radio hoping for something to moan about..
 
By Emmett Jenner
Membership Days
#223394
The Olympics are an international event and, for most of the population, Britain's hosting of them is a once in a lifetime occurrence. As such it is a major news story.
The BBC quite rightly gives the Olympics due prominence, just as all the other broadcasters do1. What has alleged political bias to do with that? All papers, left & right, are covering the Olympics.2
Like you, I didn't want the Olympics and I won't be watching them. Unlike you however, I'm not so arrogant as to expect the rest of the world to conform to my will3

1. You're wrong, the BBC are particularly interested in the Olympics to the point where they are almost hysterical over it. The other broadcasters aren't.

2. I said the BBC were not biased against either the left or the right. I said I thought they promoted their own causes excessively and mentioned the Olympics as an example.

3. I said: "I appreciate of course that some people will really want the Olympics here and can't wait."
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Don't feed the troll.

Anyway, he's too thick to understand.
*
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

That could be more likely than we think to be fair[…]

Declining standards

Headline North York Moors waterfall tombstoning[…]

How can you be in a bad mood, Malc? You've got a s[…]

Roll Call

Morning Kreuz, morning everybody. Early, innit?[…]