Topics about the BBC
:sunglasses: 53.8 % ❤ 2.6 % :thumbsup: 10.3 % 😯 5.1 % :grinning: 17.9 % 🙏 5.1 % :cry: 5.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
All major parties say* they're in favour of sexual equality and the right to free and peaceful assembly. And the disruption argument was pretty much dismantled by that Doncaster DJ taking apart Phil Davies's dad a few years ago.

So how is a pride march politically contentious?

*On paper. Personal and taproom opinions are another thing.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Watchman wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:21 am
So. If Lozza Fox gets a starring role in BBC's Sunday night drama, would he have to give up his political ambitions?
Also to me, LGBT+ is lifestyle not political
You're right in that LGBTQ+ isn't politics. But it isn't lifestyle, either. Lifestyle implies choice. With sexuality, any sexuality, we don't have a lot of choice - we are all the way we are born.

The new BBC rules seem to be implying that "gays are made, not born", and they can choose to stop being gay (or whatever) if they wish. It's the first step on the road back to the "good old days" when men were jailed for being born with what was perceived to be an unpopular sexuality.

For a dyed-in-the-wool lefty organisation, the BBC's new rules don't arf coma across as fascist.

By davidjay
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:29 am
That or "nothing to frighten the old biddies". So cuddly gays are fine, but not those dancing leather gays.
Coming soon, re-runs of Larry Grayson's Generation Game and Are You Being Served.

By Samanfur
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:06 pm
The policy lasted less than 1 day. Though perhaps attending Pride in NI might be a problem because there are more homophobic politicians, or something.

If they're singling out trans issues as a/the problem and not wanting to be seen as taking sides, then as far as I'm concerned, they are taking a side.

Trans issues and other sexuality issues are intersectional, and always have been. As much as there're lots of issues whch differ, both're seen as rebellions against your assigned gender with a heavy base around who you're attracted to, and as much as the LGB Alliance would like to rewrite history, some cis lesbians have also had trouble with people who want to challenge which toilets they go into because they look too much like men.

If you're cherry-picking which queer issues you think're too political, you're taking sides, maliciously or otherwise. And it still breaks the Equality Act.

By Tubby Isaacs
Yeah, "no politics" is a bollocks policy, conceptually even if there's not a specific legal issue.

It's probably right to assume fuck up rather than Machiavellian genius, but this has stoked the culture war usefully for the Right. Then again, if you come at something from the purpose of avoiding "virtue signalling", it's not surprising you end up in a bad place.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Cyclist wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:15 am
Watchman wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:21 am
So. If Lozza Fox gets a starring role in BBC's Sunday night drama, would he have to give up his political ambitions?
Also to me, LGBT+ is lifestyle not political
You're right in that LGBTQ+ isn't politics. But it isn't lifestyle, either. Lifestyle implies choice. With sexuality, any sexuality, we don't have a lot of choice - we are all the way we are born.

The new BBC rules seem to be implying that "gays are made, not born", and they can choose to stop being gay (or whatever) if they wish. It's the first step on the road back to the "good old days" when men were jailed for being born with what was perceived to be an unpopular sexuality.

For a dyed-in-the-wool lefty organisation, the BBC's new rules don't arf coma across as fascist.
Fair point, I was looking at it from “this is who I am” and I am entitled to live my life as me.

By Bones McCoy
KevS wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:51 pm
To be honest, I'm half expecting the 14th Doctor to be announced as Laurence Fox when the time comes now...
Plotline retconned as Doc gets dumped by assistant Rose.

By Bones McCoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:06 pm
The policy lasted less than 1 day. Though perhaps attending Pride in NI might be a problem because there are more homophobic politicians, or something.

N Ireland also have a few Celebratory parades (with their purely symbolic heavy batons).

They've opened a can of worms which doesn't pass a quick request for examples.
Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Ah, the old bait and switch/Kansas City shuffle ag[…]

C**t of the day

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/13507956755[…]

"Boris" Johnson

Tory MPs and their families received death threat[…]

Paul Thomas Redux

Very offensive.