Topics about the BBC
:sunglasses: 11.1 % :thumbsup: 11.1 % :grinning: 55.6 % 🧥 11.1 % :cry: 11.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
#447207
I used this to illustrate the widening gulf between rich and poor on th IDS thread, but it occurred to me that the way this has been written is rather odd.

Should there be a BBC-specific "Headline vs Story" thread?
Aston Martin creates 750 jobs in St Athan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35640339#
Aston Martin is to build its new luxury car in south Wales, creating 750 highly-skilled jobs.
Aston Martin haven't created anything - yet. The article is about something which will happen in several years time, economy permitting.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#447210
Increasingly, the news is more about what is scheduled to happen, rather than what has happened. While the latter still does occur - disasters and crime reporting for instance - a lot of the rest is dissection and regurgitation of press releases. So we get "In a keynote* speech later today, the minister will announce..." and so on.

*Another for the tabloid clichés. All speeches are keynote.
 
By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
#447213
That's the trouble. There is very little "news" these days - it's mostly "if", "but", and "maybe".

"The minister for mangold-wurzels is expected to visit..."

"This will happen in X years time" (providing something else doesn't happen first)

"Detailed analysis of <be-suited waffling windbag pillock> speech which he will make this afternoon is on our website..."

And that's just the BBC news!
 
By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#447214
I was having this conversation a couple of nights ago.

The other party reckoned that it'd be great if Channel Four could create a 24 hour news channel with the quality of their daily bulletins. I reckoned that if they had to look around for enough filler to keep a 24 hour news cycle going until something happened, then the quality would drop in the first place. :(
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#447217
As long as they are not the same number of staff to produce more, it doesn't mean the main Ch4 News would fall in quality. I miss CH4 news far too often and would like the opportunity to watch its reports in full. Its website is clunky and cuts reports into highlights. The Ch4 correspondents already produce in-depth blogs and there is no reason why a 24 hr channel couldn't buy in reportage of similar quality (such as Al Jazeera) and show other CH4 current affairs output to fill its time. I like the idea of 24 hr Ch4 News channel very much.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#447223
That's the problem with 24 hour news - once it starts, you can't stop it. You can't scale back because you'll risk being the only broadcaster not on the air and ready when something big does happen. Likewise the following of stories - you've got to mug every story to death because if you don't, someone else will and steal the exclusive from you.

Time was when breaking news meant something - usually oh shit, who's died - now it's just a way of keeping the punters from flicking channels.
 
By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#447238
youngian wrote:As long as they are not the same number of staff to produce more, it doesn't mean the main Ch4 News would fall in quality. I miss CH4 news far too often and would like the opportunity to watch its reports in full. Its website is clunky and cuts reports into highlights. The Ch4 correspondents already produce in-depth blogs and there is no reason why a 24 hr channel couldn't buy in reportage of similar quality (such as Al Jazeera) and show other CH4 current affairs output to fill its time. I like the idea of 24 hr Ch4 News channel very much.

BBC News is now unrecognisable from just five years ago. You can see how budget cuts have hit the reporting of news and they use half-hour fillers such as Meet The Author and Dateline London that are constantly repeated.
 
By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
#447297
Daley Mayle wrote:
youngian wrote:As long as they are not the same number of staff to produce more, it doesn't mean the main Ch4 News would fall in quality. I miss CH4 news far too often and would like the opportunity to watch its reports in full. Its website is clunky and cuts reports into highlights. The Ch4 correspondents already produce in-depth blogs and there is no reason why a 24 hr channel couldn't buy in reportage of similar quality (such as Al Jazeera) and show other CH4 current affairs output to fill its time. I like the idea of 24 hr Ch4 News channel very much.

BBC News is now unrecognisable from just five years ago. You can see how budget cuts have hit the reporting of news and they use half-hour fillers such as Meet The Author and Dateline London that are constantly repeated.
I always thought that rather than having canned programming constantly repeated, they could pull out old episodes in full of the 6 O'Clock & 9 O'Clock news for say "On This Day 20/30/40 etc. years ago" which I'm sure they have in the archives somewhere. Would be fairly cheap I'd imagine plus would be the type of thing that would likely gain a cult following from modern history buffs.
 
By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#447299
spoonman wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:
youngian wrote:As long as they are not the same number of staff to produce more, it doesn't mean the main Ch4 News would fall in quality. I miss CH4 news far too often and would like the opportunity to watch its reports in full. Its website is clunky and cuts reports into highlights. The Ch4 correspondents already produce in-depth blogs and there is no reason why a 24 hr channel couldn't buy in reportage of similar quality (such as Al Jazeera) and show other CH4 current affairs output to fill its time. I like the idea of 24 hr Ch4 News channel very much.

BBC News is now unrecognisable from just five years ago. You can see how budget cuts have hit the reporting of news and they use half-hour fillers such as Meet The Author and Dateline London that are constantly repeated.
I always thought that rather than having canned programming constantly repeated, they could pull out old episodes in full of the 6 O'Clock & 9 O'Clock news for say "On This Day 20/30/40 etc. years ago" which I'm sure they have in the archives somewhere. Would be fairly cheap I'd imagine plus would be the type of thing that would likely gain a cult following from modern history buffs.
Exactly. If they used the Al Jazeera model, it could be quite something - but if they used the BBC or Sky model, not so much.

As you say, the BBC has so much in its archives that they could use to make News 24 a comprehensive package. But whether through budget concerns or just not wanting to be caught out when something breaks, they won't use it.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#447313
I think it was during the 2005 election, Radio 2 handed over to John Cole and a few other political reporters of yesteryear and the reaction was ecstatic. Measured, insightful, cutting out all the bullshit...no wonder it was never repeated.
2019 General Election

No queue at the polling station when I finally wor[…]

Boris Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtIAG0LRO8

The Biased BBC

It was Labour Uncut. http://labour-uncut.co.uk/20[…]

The Tories, Generally

Nobody wants a false accusation of assault.