•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Netflix has a lot of new TV stuff, some of it is excellent (a lot of the films are awful though, and not all their own series are by any means top notch). That doesn't stop the BBC being capable of producing excellent stuff of its own (Blue Planet, Peaky Blinders, comedy), let alone filling holes nobody else would likely bother with, on TV AND radio.
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:57 am
Didn't have you down as a JJ fan, Mr A.
Put onto it by my friend Al. Binged it and enjoyed it. I've liked most of the Marvel superhero series, but not the DC ones, which are cack in comparison.
Iron Fist was a definite low point...

Amazing how much JJ wound up a certain demographic, who had how "feminist" it was. Having a female protagonist and being quite strongly anti-rape is apparently beyond the pale.
Malcolm Armsteen liked this
Even people who made their way up through the BBC and were poached for lucrative US cable stuff; Armando Ianucci, Susannah White, Tom Hooper for eg have rejected comparisons. The BBC is not a niche high end drama producer that's just one of its many functions.

By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
About a week or so ago, I had made a comment with regards to Rees-Mogg and Netflix.

People on here made me see I had been hasty, pointing out several shows that Netflix do that have been enjoyed. This is where I differ to the President of the USA. I take on board criticism, and accept I am not really in a position to comment on Netflix as I am not a subscriber (their film choice is a bit rubbish though!), I was indeed hasty in my dismissal of the channel.

Criticism duly noted.

Come on Trump, you big oaf. It does good to have your thinking on a subject changed with a few good comments!
hel, Kreuzberger liked this

By Boiler
I see predictable responses to this announcement. So shall we look at the alternatives for funding?

Take undoubtedly the most popular - advertising. So now you'd have two major players chasing the same funds. We've seen what's happened to ITV since the Public Service Remit was removed from the franchising agreements. Is there any reason to believe the BBC wouldn't go down the same path?

Subscription. At the moment, nigh on impossible to implement on the Freeview platform. Maybe when television ceases to be broadcast and becomes an IP-based service it could be implemented but again, I suspect massive cuts to services would follow.

Direct funding via taxation. That would really put the BBC at the mercy of the Government of the day and really would make it a state broadcaster.

Any other thoughts, peeps?
A small tax on broadband usage has been suggested with extended services on a subscription basis. You can't have a subscription for radio and unlike TV drama, the commercial sector is nowhere near able to match the BBC's quality and breadth of output on the wireless. A fund for all TV channels to access if they want to a public service output has also been floated. I dislike the licence fee as a concept but its one of those bad ideas that's so far better than all the others. Good riddance to it when we find a better replacement.

By Boiler
[Alison] Pearson accused the broadcaster of having a "culture of ludicrously inflated salaries" and being "dangerously out of touch" with the public. She called for cuts to the salaries of more than 100 senior staff earning over £150,000, as well as cutting the pay of stars and presenters. According to the BBC annual review last year, among the highest-paid stars were Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker (£1,750,000-£1,759,999), chat show host Graham Norton (£600,000-£609,000) and Radio 2 presenter Steve Wright (£550,000-£559,999). The top-earning female star was Claudia Winkleman, whose salary is estimated at £370,000-£379,999.

The total pay for on-air talent was £148m in 2017/2018.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48647548

I dunno why Ricky Tomlinson and supporters has pitched up outside Salford Quays to protest - shouldn't he be outside the relevant Government department?

The BBC has published the results of the consultations with various bodies and individuals on this matter and it can be read at https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/reports ... nce-policy

I read Kate Hoey's contribution, which was:
I oppose the removal of the free licence for 0ver 75’s. I know hundreds of people in my constituency who literally would NOT be able to afford a licence fee. Most of the elderly rely on television-some have no visitors or friends and you can well afford to continue this by cutting back on some of the huge salaries you pay. Also your web site is far removed from public service broadcasting. If you remove the free licence it will be the first step for a huge campaign to stop the licence fee altogether which I will support.
Kate Hoey MP Vauxhall
There are, however, some unlikely supporters. I'll leave those as an exercise for the interested reader to discover.
Boiler wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:52 pm

I read Kate Hoey's contribution, which was:
If you remove the free licence it will be the first step for a huge campaign to stop the licence fee altogether which I will support.
Kate Hoey MP Vauxhall
I look forward to Kate's campaign to provide free Sky TV subscriptions for all 75 year olds.
Watchman, Oblomov liked this
Boris Johnson

Post Brexit trade deals. Britain is a sales rep c[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

One might assume such historians might manage to s[…]

The Trump Presidency

A glance at his presser today reveals that he's ta[…]

Labour, Generally.

Somebody suggested Brexit wasn't one of the init[…]