•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I've seen talk of her being groomed as a future Tory leader

I hope so, as the reaction of the Mailites to being run by a Scottish lesbian at their party of choice (this is the readers of the dead tree stuff) would be fantastic
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
Did the Tories actually come up with some new policies when fighting the election in Scotland or has the party just become a party of protest.

The Tories are probably not as toxic as they used to be in Scotland because Scotland has been spared many of the Tory governments more unpopular policies.
By PaulOnBooks
Membership Days Posts
According to Sir Malcolm Rifkind, much of the Tory success in Scotland was because “The Tories were the only ones saying that not only we won’t put taxes up, but whenever we can we will seek to reduce them"

If he's correct, that would seem to prove that the Scots are as gullible as the English.

As to Davidson, she's young, personable and intelligent but not too intelligent. What the Old Etonians say about her in private might be interesting but she suits them for the moment.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
PaulOnBooks wrote:According to Sir Malcolm Rifkind, much of the Tory success in Scotland was because “The Tories were the only ones saying that not only we won’t put taxes up, but whenever we can we will seek to reduce them"

If he's correct, that would seem to prove that the Scots are as gullible as the English.

As to Davidson, she's young, personable and intelligent but not too intelligent. What the Old Etonians say about her in private might be interesting but she suits them for the moment.

She looks a bit like North Korea's Dear Leader. And she has nuclear weapons in her country.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:Did the Tories actually come up with some new policies when fighting the election in Scotland or has the party just become a party of protest.

The Tories are probably not as toxic as they used to be in Scotland because Scotland has been spared many of the Tory governments more unpopular policies.
To me it looks as though Scottish Labour never really recovered after the Referendum.
* Jim Murphy?? What the hell were they thinkng?
* Chuck in a few other less than savoury time-servers. - and a few of the Block votes you could count on have started thinking beyond Grany and Grandpa's advice.
* Kezia seems OK, but simply hasn't developed any presence during the campaign.

It's going to require well directed hard work, and strong differentiated policies to break back into automatic contender.

Moving on to Ruth's Team (They don't like being called Tories until the final vote is safely counted).
* Second place is a surprise, but 22% of votes cast isn't going to get control of Holyrood.
* Few constituencies and a lot of the list seats (The ones intended for the losers in constituencies)
* I suspect they've reached the peak of natural constituency + landholding lobby and DOBs.

So what happens next?
* Ruth has to start performing at the first minister's questions as opposed to sniping form the sidelines through a friendly media.
* Her party will have to defend this High water mark.
* Next time around the other parties will have figures out how to game the regional list system.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:
PaulOnBooks wrote:According to Sir Malcolm Rifkind, much of the Tory success in Scotland was because “The Tories were the only ones saying that not only we won’t put taxes up, but whenever we can we will seek to reduce them"

She looks a bit like North Korea's Dear Leader. And she has nuclear weapons in her country.
I forget which journalist did it, but the Kim Jock-un gag has already been taken.

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
bluebellnutter wrote:I've seen talk of her being groomed as a future Tory leader

I hope so, as the reaction of the Mailites to being run by a Scottish lesbian at their party of choice (this is the readers of the dead tree stuff) would be fantastic
Is that possible without being a UK MP? She won with the small majority of 603, and doesn't fancy her chances.
"I am under no illusion that everybody who voted for me in that seat is a true-blue, dyed-in-the wool Tory, and neither are they in places up and down Scotland.
"They are people who want us to do a very specific job, and that it is to hold the SNP to account.
"
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

27%! WILLOVVAPEEPUL!

Dacre's Prey

If ever there were proof that whatever your backg[…]

OK, apologies if this has been raised somewhere […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

A libel action can mean exemplary damages as well […]