•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By smod
Membership Days Posts
From The Guardian's Steven Morris:
I've been in Machynlleth for the Guardian since Tuesday morning. The local people have been great – clearly deeply upset at what has happened but they have accepted that it is inevitable journalists will be here en masse. Their calmness and dignity have been hugely touching. Most appear to have wanted us here to get the message out that a little girl was missing and out there somewhere.

Few people have refused to speak to us, the cafes, hotels and pubs have been welcoming even when we've spread our laptops all over the place and driven regular customers away. Those that have been out searching have let us go along.

Most of the journalists I have seen at work have gone about their uncomfortable business with tact and discretion. I've had serious discussions with newspaper journalists - tabloid and broadsheet - about how we've done things. I feel there has been a good working relationship between the media and the people of the town.

Many reporters I've spoken to were aghast at how Kay Burley approached the situation. In her defence she does seems taken aback that they had not heard the grim news the police had just revealed. But, to my mind, she could have - and should have - halted the interview. Viewers would have understood.

It's become a media story. Things like this do in this 24-hour news cycle we're all stuck in.

But what was most striking for me was the reaction of the women. One apologised for sobbing and as she walked away checked that Burley had one of the pink ribbons that townspeople are wearing after an appeal by April's parents to show their solidarity by doing so. “Keep hope alive,” she said as she walked off camera. Moving, impressive.

I'll forget Burley's interview. I won't ever forget the dignity that people like those interviewees have shown this week.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/co ... k/18674964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
smod wrote:From The Guardian's Steven Morris:
I've been in Machynlleth for the Guardian since Tuesday morning. The local people have been great – clearly deeply upset at what has happened but they have accepted that it is inevitable journalists will be here en masse. Their calmness and dignity have been hugely touching. Most appear to have wanted us here to get the message out that a little girl was missing and out there somewhere.

Few people have refused to speak to us, the cafes, hotels and pubs have been welcoming even when we've spread our laptops all over the place and driven regular customers away. Those that have been out searching have let us go along.

Most of the journalists I have seen at work have gone about their uncomfortable business with tact and discretion. I've had serious discussions with newspaper journalists - tabloid and broadsheet - about how we've done things. I feel there has been a good working relationship between the media and the people of the town.

Many reporters I've spoken to were aghast at how Kay Burley approached the situation. In her defence she does seems taken aback that they had not heard the grim news the police had just revealed. But, to my mind, she could have - and should have - halted the interview. Viewers would have understood.

It's become a media story. Things like this do in this 24-hour news cycle we're all stuck in.

But what was most striking for me was the reaction of the women. One apologised for sobbing and as she walked away checked that Burley had one of the pink ribbons that townspeople are wearing after an appeal by April's parents to show their solidarity by doing so. “Keep hope alive,” she said as she walked off camera. Moving, impressive.

I'll forget Burley's interview. I won't ever forget the dignity that people like those interviewees have shown this week.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/co ... k/18674964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let's get this right, it's the 24-hour news cycle that's at fault here?

The ITV Wales and BBC Wales coverage is excessive to the point of gloating... look at us, we have a real live child abduction on our patch. ITV Wales at Six yesterday had about 20 minutes of people standing around saying, basically, they haven't found the poor child.
By Andy McDandy
Was it necessary to see her mother break down in tears? Is it necessary to cover the story in such depth, when its actual impact on the country and people are nil? At least the McCann case had the excuses of silly season and reporters looking to string the story out so they could spend more time in the sunny Algarve compiling copy and expenses reports.

What summed it all up for me was the volunteer on the Tuesday news (I think) complaining that the police had said "thanks but no thanks" as weather conditions were worsening. He sounded really aggrieved that he'd not been allowed to do his stuff after driving however many miles. Yeah mate, because it's all about you.

Conspicuous caring, space filling, media noise. And so tragedy becomes soap opera.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Daley wrote:Let's get this right, it's the 24-hour news cycle that's at fault here?
To be fair and in being fair, Steven Morris cites the 24 hour news cycle - and by implication, rolling live output - as a contributory factor. Not for one moment would I expect him to condemn Burley when the main thrust of the piece is praising the stoic dignity of those that have found themselves thrust in to the limelight for the most appalling of reasons.

Cleverly, some might say, he is leaving us to the wider conversation to comment on whether Burley is fit-for-purpose within the context of live, rolling output.

I haven't seen the piece and I have absolutely no intention of doing so but I have seen enough of her work to know that she aint no Marie Colvin. I'll go with the majority verdict on this one.

By Samanfur
Sky News’ Kay Burley and LBC’s James O’Brien sparred after the latter criticised John Humphrys’ interview with Theresa May on the BBC’s Today programme this morning.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Samanfur wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:30 am
Sky News’ Kay Burley and LBC’s James O’Brien sparred after the latter criticised John Humphrys’ interview with Theresa May on the BBC’s Today programme this morning.
I'm calling conscience on this one.

We haven't even got a farkin' IKEA round here. […]

2019 General Election

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/119472996[…]

Caption Contest

Seen. I alays thought he was a good-lookin' sexy b[…]

Olden days were the best or summat...

My ex-girlfriend was two-timing me with Charlie Kr[…]