•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I think that's a bit of a conspiracy theory but there is a desire to get back to business as usual with Russia as both sides have too much to lose in a full scale economic war. Any sanctions on Russia are likely to be a pre-agreed diplomatic dance. Serious statesmen can leave the 'Putin is the new Hitler' bollocks to halfwits like Heffer.
Last edited by youngian on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
It's an interesting repeat of the Thatcherite "Sanctions don't work".
While remaining quiet about vested interests in the Apartheid state.

Mention the awkward situation of Iran, Libya and later Iraq and you'll be lucky if you're met by something out of the
"Those were embargoes, not sanctions" playbook.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I'm not sure if it is about sanctions not working but what would be the end game? Russia withdraws its troops and the Crimeans repeat their referendum in a more legally acceptable manner like Gibraltar or the Falklands in order to produce exactly the same result. Putin has acted in a shoddy manner and deserves a slap on the wrist at the most which is what he getting. I'm not sure what Heffer wants the EU to do, send Cathy Ashton over to Moscow with a briefcase containing Trident submarine codes?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:What Heffer wants is what all archair general tories always really want - young men to go abroad and die for them and for said conflict to somehow reinstate the entire British Empire.
As Erich Maria Remarque so eloquently expressed in the character of Kantorek in All Quiet on the Western Front.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Possibly the worst documentary on post-war British film making I have ever seen, devoid of any original research or insight. Currently reading Christopher Clark's Sleepwalkers and among the back cover quotes praising it is Simon Heffer who said it is one of the best books he's ever read. As I plough on I keeping wondering what he is actually taking from this complex narrrative. I can only conclude that he thinks this is a very well written expose about how bumblingly incompetent Johnny Foreigner is and the less we have to do with them the better.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Heffer on the battles between George and Boris to succeed Dave

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -Dave.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's this sensitive understanding approach towards Anglo-Irish relations

Ireland should join the Commonwealth and a high representative of Britain should attend the commemoration of the centenary of the Easter Rising in 2016. Bygones must be bygones.
As for Martin McGuinness in white tie at Windsor, he reminded me of Branson, the Irish chauffeur who married above himself in Downton Abbey.
and this pearl of wisdom
The truth is that businesses will not relocate unless they judge it is profitable to do so, which means, for one thing, ending national wage-bargaining — so that lower rates of pay in some areas will encourage firms in the South-East to move to deprived areas.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:Ireland joining the Commonwealth is a real hangup for the sufferers of post-colonial angst. I have no idea why.

And the '16 Rising? Catch yourself on.
The following year marks the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, I wonder if the Taoiseach will getting his orders from Madam Merkel to attend that one.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
A rant about Milliband for having the audacity to interfere in the market

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... inute.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mail Online and Adblockers

It's not complaining about uBlock on Firefox. […]

The Sun

Spotted on the BBC website , a S*n review of th[…]

Winterval Bingo

Dragonist! :P Coming over here, burning our […]

Boris Johnson

The right wing media were quick enough to apportio[…]