For other types of media
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I once had a huge row with some old friends because I explained to them that the great majority of MPs, although making money out of expenses, weren't actually breaking the law and had had their expenses approved by the parliamentary authorities. They were so angry at the relative few who were actually breaking the rules that they were incapable of rational argument.

The same thing is happening with the paedophile MPs, of which there seem (so far) to have been a relatively small number - much less than the number of sexual offenders which has emerged from Yewtree, although some were allegedly prolific. The anger at the actually guilty is starting to spread over to them all.

I blame Ian Hislop. And the paradigm he has created/supported that they are all incompetent, venal and 'at it'.
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Exactly mind you certain MPs haven't exactly helped the matter. Namely those that pander to this group.
Who did you have in mind? letting your constituents know you're a paragon of virtue when it comes to expenses is fair enough.
Well Danczuk namely alright he was right to go after Smith but still he's been pushing this establishment peadophile ring which has bought it's fair share of cranks. See that Mullin anecdote I mentioned earlier.
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Well Danczuk namely alright he was right to go after Smith but still he's been pushing this establishment peadophile ring which has bought it's fair share of cranks.
While not suggesting that "they're all in on it", isn't there a chance that the likes of Smith were in some kind of a "ring" that had a certain amount of protection?

Man, now I sound like David Icke. Urgh.
D.C. Harrison wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Well Danczuk namely alright he was right to go after Smith but still he's been pushing this establishment peadophile ring which has bought it's fair share of cranks.
While not suggesting that "they're all in on it", isn't there a chance that the likes of Smith were in some kind of a "ring" that had a certain amount of protection?

Man, now I sound like David Icke. Urgh.
I've never seen any serious suggestion that "They're all at it".

What seems beyond dispute is that a few of them were at it, and there are suggestions that an establishment cover-up took place.
Bones McCoy wrote:What seems beyond dispute is that a few of them were at it, and there are suggestions that an establishment cover-up took place.
Yeah, that was kind of what I was reaching at, that despite the amount of cranks lurking, that all the same, something very (very!) dodgy may have happened.
Whatever may or may not have happened, stories of upper (or privileged) class debauchery have been the bread and butter of public gossip for years. Centuries, even.

But I agree that the 'they're all at it' mentality doesn't help anyone. Plenty of people go into politics at whatever level to genuinely help people and/or to try to give something back. OK, once in, it's possible to get taken up in the system and to lose focus, but that's to ignore the central paradox of politics - to get in you have to promise the Earth, then once in you have to compromise on almost everything.
Andy McDandy wrote:Whatever may or may not have happened, stories of upper (or privileged) class debauchery have been the bread and butter of public gossip for years. Centuries, even.

There's a film called the Aristocrats in which US comedians demonstrate the different ways on telling this in-joke about a family that turn up and do the most disgusting vile things you can think up and the punchline is along the lines of: "we're the aristocrats". They interview Eric Idle who points that this joke doesn't work on a British audience because they think that's what aristocrats get up to anyway.
Channel 9 in Australia broadcast an investigation to this yesterday. Spoke with a few who had been through the unpleasantness and for the first time, certain names were mentioned including a recentry deceased cabinet minister. Now, whether you think this is the height of tin foil hattery is one thing, but it does seem peculiar that as far as I can see this broadcast has not been reported over here at all

Well, almost not at all. Looks like it's turned up on the website of the Mail?!

Mind you this might be Dacre just sulking that he missed out on a gong again and is going to stick it to The Man....
Reported on BBC and Sky News, Telegraph, Mail and Huffington Post at least...
Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1172977063[…]

The LibDems, generally

Interesting. Never take Twitter at face value woul[…]

David Cameron

Hamface has known Johnson and Gove for long enou[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Oh, I can sense the foam around the mouths of news[…]