•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Not that much. It's all done for show.
Sadly I'm not sure it is.

The official response to Shona's question 'Why didn't you tell me ?" is "your daughter is Gillick competent".

The true response would be "Fuck me, you are a lousy parent that's why. If we tell you about your poor daughter's health and emotional problems she will be plastered all over the Daily Mail for some clickbait article".

And lo it came to pass. And the poor kid was dragged onto breakfast TV this morning. And probably will again.

Even if Sibary is vastly exaggerating the extent of the bulimia, that child has an underlying illness (as I don't think anyone is arguing Sibary's making up the entire thing up). It's an illness which has a lot to do with low self-esteem, anxiety, poor body image, and living in an environment with a lot of stress (cough).

Annie has apparently been suffering for 18 months, and only told her mother in January. Someone who is purging has feelings of shame and guilt. In what possible way is it in her best interests to plaster this over the press?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
For those of you who, like me, aren't au fait with legalese, the 'Gillick Test' is named after Victoria Gillick, who, in 1983, challenged health service guidance that allowed her daughters to receive confidential contraceptive advice without her knowledge before the age of 16.
The Gillick family are now fully blown bat-shit Kippers
The reason poor, badly educated people are fat is because they like being fat, according to Gordon Gillick, the Ukip member of Cambridgeshire County Council.

He contributed his thoughts on the undeserving poor during a debate on whether the council should focus its reduced resources on the most socially deprived parts of the county.

“The people we describe as obese, thick, badly educated, whichever way you like to phrase it... they enjoy being 25 stone, they’re not discontent, they’re just a burden on the state,” the Cambridge News reports him saying. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 24913.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A UKIP councillor accused of branding children in care “takers” from society said he was “deeply sorry” after an investigation found him guilty of breaching the members’ code of conduct.

Cllr Gordon Gillick failed to treat three looked-after teenagers visiting Shire Hall for a training session with respect and brought Cambridgeshire County Council into disrepute, the probe concluded. http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/UKIP-Ca ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
It looks like dear Shona posted on Mumsnet about this under an assumed name (she's rumbled by the end of the thread).

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_ ... SIX-months

I assume that she was hoping for a lot of 'yeah hun, it's so right you're annoyed' responses. Instead she got a lecture on Gillick competence, was told repeatedly not to make it about herself as that was what she appeared to be doing (!) and to concentrate on her daughter's health.

If the dates on the Mumsnet thread are true then in three weeks she's gone from finding out her daughter had a mental health condition she'd wanted kept secret to broadcasting it to the nation.
By Esqui
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Catkins wrote:
Not that much. It's all done for show.
Sadly I'm not sure it is.

The official response to Shona's question 'Why didn't you tell me ?" is "your daughter is Gillick competent".

The true response would be "Fuck me, you are a lousy parent that's why. If we tell you about your poor daughter's health and emotional problems she will be plastered all over the Daily Mail for some clickbait article".

And lo it came to pass. And the poor kid was dragged onto breakfast TV this morning. And probably will again.

Even if Sibary is vastly exaggerating the extent of the bulimia, that child has an underlying illness (as I don't think anyone is arguing Sibary's making up the entire thing up). It's an illness which has a lot to do with low self-esteem, anxiety, poor body image, and living in an environment with a lot of stress (cough).

Annie has apparently been suffering for 18 months, and only told her mother in January. Someone who is purging has feelings of shame and guilt. In what possible way is it in her best interests to plaster this over the press?
Absolutely, the last thing her daughter needs - particularly if she is having issues with her body image - is a picture of her in a national newspaper alongside a story about her. If the whole thing isn't made up, then this is abuse, pure and simple.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
For those of you who, like me, aren't au fait with legalese, the 'Gillick Test' is named after Victoria Gillick, who, in 1983, challenged health service guidance that allowed her daughters to receive confidential contraceptive advice without her knowledge before the age of 16.
The Gillick family are now fully blown bat-shit Kippers
The reason poor, badly educated people are fat is because they like being fat, according to Gordon Gillick, the Ukip member of Cambridgeshire County Council.

He contributed his thoughts on the undeserving poor during a debate on whether the council should focus its reduced resources on the most socially deprived parts of the county.

“The people we describe as obese, thick, badly educated, whichever way you like to phrase it... they enjoy being 25 stone, they’re not discontent, they’re just a burden on the state,” the Cambridge News reports him saying. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 24913.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A UKIP councillor accused of branding children in care “takers” from society said he was “deeply sorry” after an investigation found him guilty of breaching the members’ code of conduct.

Cllr Gordon Gillick failed to treat three looked-after teenagers visiting Shire Hall for a training session with respect and brought Cambridgeshire County Council into disrepute, the probe concluded. http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/UKIP-Ca ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tis a pity the Matriarch didn't get better contraceptive advice.
By Fozzy
The Mumsnet thread originates from someone called SamBooker68, and another poster has done some sterling research and come up with this - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -cell.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - check out the name of the writer. The general view seems to be that the personal information given tallies 100% with Sibary.

And a further interesting post:
Not because Shona Sibary described Mumsnet as:

"...an insidious website inhabited by self-satisfied mothers whose sole purpose in life, it seems, is to lord themselves over other women."

And not because the article referred to Mumsnet members as "monsters" and a "cliquey, elitist bunch of witches".

It wasn't even because the writer suggested "behind closed doors" Mumsnet members are probably all "popping Prozac and deeply resenting the loss of identity and lack of short-term gratification that motherhood brings."

No, it was because Sibary appeared to suggest the level of bullying on Mumsnet may make members commit suicide:

"There's been much in the news recently about... a concerning social network site... that has been blamed for the tragic suicides of several teenagers. Well, welcome to the adult version - Mumsnet."

That has resulted in the following clarification being published by the Mail this week:

"The article may ...have suggested that bullying behaviour by [Mumsnet] users could encourage suicide. We are happy to clarify that no suicides have ever been linked to Mumsnet and that its members offer valuable support to those in distress or suffering mental illness.
"

But Mumsnet say they're about to zap the thread as it "wasn't quite what we thought it was originally".
By Esqui
So Annie had had the illness for about 18 months. I'm sure it's nothing to do with when her mother published her private text messages in a national newspaper around 2 years ago. Or about 18 months ago wrote this:
Of course, if you asked Flo and Annie they could come up with a long list of flaws they perceive themselves to have. Certainly, when I told them I was tackling this issue, they pleaded with me to make it clear that under no circumstances do they believe themselves to be beautiful.

But, for me, this is like hearing Cindy Crawford complain about her facial mole or Lily Cole her red hair.

Annie is only 13 and already flirts with an ease I have never possessed. Our local takeaway man is smitten - although Annie tells me she only does it to get extra spring rolls.
"My daughters have body image issues but fuck that, they're better than I was. Annie flirts with people for extra food."
She was determined that her own feelings of inadequacy would never be passed on to her daughters.
Yeah, so much so that she refuses to entertain her daughters when they do feel inadequate. No wonder she felt that she couldn't talk to her mother.
By Fozzy
She turned up on an interview with Vanessa Feltz on BBC's London station the other day. It wasn't until very near the end of the interview that Feltz actually got round to revealing that she was a journalist rather than the innocent distraught mother she was portraying herself as. Sadly they didn't seem to be taking phone-in questions, otherwise I would have been severely tempted to call to ask whether she felt that her eagerness to plaster her family all over the press might have had something to do with her daughter's reluctance to confide in her.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Annie is only 13 and already flirts with an ease I have never possessed. Our local takeaway man is smitten - although Annie tells me she only does it to get extra spring rolls.
Have we had Mrs S's views on Adam Johnson yet?

By Abernathy
So, we have Shona offering a blow job to the school bursar in return for money off the school fees, and her 13 year old daughter Annie waggling her arse at the Chinese takeaway guy for an extra spring roll.

Lovely.
Last edited by Abernathy on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Andy McDandy
And all done in the name of putting the older kid through some ghastly Sloane ranger factory while she'd have been happier at the local comp, and it's all for nothing as she's buggered off to large it in Ibiza, as far away from the lot of them as she can be.

Wonderful.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:So, we have Shona offering a blow job to the school bursar in return for money off the school fees, and he 13 year old daughter Annie waggling her arse at the Chinese takeaway guy for an extra spring roll.

Lovely.
What we sadly probably had is Annie being utterly mortified at her mum making out she flirts with the takeaway guy to flog papers for Paul 'cunt' Dacre.

Most mail journos I just dislike. Littlejohn is a twat for cash. Letts is an oily creep. Hopkins is a dreadful British knock-off of Ann Coulter. Hitchins is a pompous misery. They're all either peddling ignorance or arrogance for cash. Shona Sibary though is the only one I flat-out loathe, because more or less her entire output relates to using or humiliating her children. She should be the person they trust the most, not the one they can't talk to in case it ends up on the telly the next day. She's like one of those awful seaside B&B owners who you realise only had kids to get some free staff.

I genuinely think there's grounds for a child abuse case against her.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1196839024[…]

Richard Littlejohn

I'm tempted to buy the rights for a tv adaptation […]

The Sun

Maybe there's more to business than a headline tax[…]

2019 General Election

I don't know if its just wishful thinking, or just[…]