•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Jacob Rees-Mogg, a Conservative, strongly defended the government’s conduct. He said the motion passed by the Commons was “incompetent” and that the government had generously released more documentation than it had to. (See 10.14am.) This is a remarkable contrast with the approach he took last week, when he said it was incumbent on the government to comply with the motion. Rees-Mogg seemed to be rallying to the defence of Davis on tribal grounds because he realised his Tory colleague was in trouble.

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
You know you're in trouble when you have to facepalm your own performance. A Contempt of Parliament hearing surely awaits.

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
It is revealing, too, how heavily Davis relies on the assertion that vital data had to be kept secret lest it fall into the hands of the European commission and inform its negotiating stance. The inference here is that there might be things about the whole Brexit process that the ingenious UK side has thought of but the dull-witted Europeans haven’t thought of yet. The process of the talks so far at every turn has demonstrated the opposite to be true. The pattern has been Europeans flagging up problems well in advance and British politicians denying the existence of those problems, then failing to address them with practical solutions.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssessments

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 pm
It is revealing, too, how heavily Davis relies on the assertion that vital data had to be kept secret lest it fall into the hands of the European commission and inform its negotiating stance. The inference here is that there might be things about the whole Brexit process that the ingenious UK side has thought of but the dull-witted Europeans haven’t thought of yet. The process of the talks so far at every turn has demonstrated the opposite to be true. The pattern has been Europeans flagging up problems well in advance and British politicians denying the existence of those problems, then failing to address them with practical solutions.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssessments
This has to be the best "Dog ate my homework" ever.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
I will leave you to form your own conclusions...

Hilary Benn (Chair) Labour
Mr Peter Bone Conservative
Joanna Cherry Scottish National Party
Mr Christopher Chope Conservative
Stephen Crabb Conservative
Mr Jonathan Djanogly Conservative
Richard Graham Conservative
Peter Grant Scottish National Party
Wera Hobhouse Liberal Democrat
Andrea Jenkyns Conservative
Stephen Kinnock Labour
Jeremy Lefroy Conservative
Mr Pat McFadden Labour
Craig Mackinlay Conservative
Seema Malhotra Labour (Co-op)
Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg Conservative
Emma Reynolds Labour
Stephen Timms Labour
Mr John Whittingdale Conservative
Hywel Williams Plaid Cymru
Sammy Wilson Democratic Unionist Party

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Now the Sun is bigging up Davis as PM
'SHE'LL BE GONE BY CHRISTMAS' David Davis’ allies plot to kick out Theresa May and install him as PM by Christmas

DAVID Davis’s allies have launched a fresh bid to make him PM by trying to line up a ‘dream ticket’ with younger Tory rising stars.

Supporters of the Brexit Secretary have seized on Theresa May’s latest Brexit woes to start building another plot to oust her.

One of the closest – former chief whip Andrew Mitchell – is organising discreet drinks evenings with him and new generation Tory MPs.

Three of the newly elected high-flyers invited to one soiree last week were Tom Tugendhat and James Cleverly – both tipped as future party leaders – as well as highly respected rookie Gillian Keegan.

Several were told Mr Davis is ready to run as Tory leader alongside them.

Under the ‘dream ticket’ plot, Mr Davis would take over as Prime Minister from beleaguered Mrs May, but only for a few years.

The 68-year-old former SAS reservist would then stand aside for one of the new generation elected in 2015 or 2017 to take over in time to prepare for the 2022 general election.

A key ally of Mr Davis told one of the younger Tory MPs: “Theresa has the smell of death around her.

“She’ll be gone by Christmas. It’s time to rally around DD.”

Several of the younger Tories have already refused to sign up to the fresh putsch.

One who attended the drinks with Mr Davis last week told The Sun: “It was all very cloak and dagger, and I wasn’t very impressed by any of it. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5083324/d ... -minister/

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Words utterly fail me.
Almost.

Once upon a time political parties promoted their brightest and their best - even Thatcher was clever, Churchill had a mind like a gin trap, Attlee had a great mind- but look at them now (on both sides) - if brains were dynamite they couldn't blow out a candle.

The most significant factor in success in any form of endeavour is general intelligence, and I see precious little sign of it in any of them, and IDS, Davis and Grayling (and probably May) must be the least intelligent people to reach high office in this country in two generations.
youngian liked this

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Posts
Grayling was doing the rounds of TV and radio this morning. I don't think I would ever tire of punching him repeatedly in his smug, self-satisfied face.
Cyclist liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 am
Words utterly fail me.
Almost.

Once upon a time political parties promoted their brightest and their best - even Thatcher was clever, Churchill had a mind like a gin trap, Attlee had a great mind- but look at them now (on both sides) - if brains were dynamite they couldn't blow out a candle.

The most significant factor in success in any form of endeavour is general intelligence, and I see precious little sign of it in any of them, and IDS, Davis and Grayling (and probably May) must be the least intelligent people to reach high office in this country in two generations.

Out of both front benches Keir Starmer and Rory Stewart strike me as having intellectual gravitas. Anyone like to advance on that? The problem is Brexit and Corbynism are both projects more suited to zealots, dimwits, hacks and chancers.

May's PMQ's performance yesterday struck me that she is one of those people who is too thick to argue with.

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Dream ticket
The sort of dream you wake up screaming from.

By cycloon
Membership Days Posts
'Dream ticket' should mean an actual dream, not best of a bad job from a party that's at war with itself, led by a chancer and backed by utterly unscrupulous pseudo-populists.

What a dream.
Kreuzberger liked this

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts

By youngian
Membership Days Posts

The Brexit Secretary, who last week told MPs that his department had not commissioned a single Brexit impact assessment, told Ferrari that he did not believe in attempting to judge how Brexit would impact the economy.

"I don't believe in economic forecasts. They've all been proven wrong," he said, adding later that "anybody can do details." http://uk.businessinsider.com/david-dav ... ry-2017-12

Mayday: What Barnier’s words on Brexit mea[…]

SPOTY

Jim Davidson once described the Olympics as "[…]

Liz Jones

A calibrated (sic) attack on Jo Cox by a lady who […]

News you won't see on the BBC

Was chatting with an old friend today, and we wang[…]