•  
  •  
  •  

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
spoonman wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 pm
What a load of bollocks.
I did write a reply far less erudite than yours to the poster in question, but managed to calm down and not press "send". Thanks for making me feel like I'm not the only one on here offended by that absolute tripe.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
D.C. Harrison wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm
spoonman wrote:
What a load of bollocks.
I did write a reply far less erudite than yours to the poster in question, but managed to calm down and not press "send". Thanks for making me feel like I'm not the only one on here offended by that absolute tripe.
For the record, I didn't write it, also that quote is not meant to refer to you personally.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Jesus Christ, Rawnsley railing against those who are concerned about aimless inflammation which "risks escalating further”. This is the careless rhetoric of the raving right who think that nuclear-tipped diplomacy gone wrong is something that happens to other people.

And, Corbyn was calling for the Geneva talks to be restarted on the basis that only a negotiated settlement will bring about lasting peace.

I disagree with him on much but he has made probably the only valid point. The problem with the feeble-minded is that they prefer stage managed fireworks will bring everybody to heel. They are wrong.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:50 pm
Jesus Christ, Rawnsley railing against those who are concerned about aimless inflammation which "risks escalating further”. This is the careless rhetoric of the raving right who think that nuclear-tipped diplomacy gone wrong is something that happens to other people.

And, Corbyn was calling for the Geneva talks to be restarted on the basis that only a negotiated settlement will bring about lasting peace.

I disagree with him on much but he has made probably the only valid point. The problem with the feeble-minded is that they prefer stage managed fireworks will bring everybody to heel. They are wrong.
No Rawnsley is railing against those who propose doing nothing.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
spoonman wrote:
Interventionists have been rightly obliged to own all that went horribly wrong in Iraq. Non-interventionists, the horrors of Syria are on you.
What a load of bollocks.
I thought the same when I read it.
It's the same bollocks as "You're either with us or ag'in us".

Does he implicate the 200+ nations that didn't intervene?
How about the ones who didn't intervene in: Myanmar, the Moro Uprising, Somalia, Yemen, Boko Haram, Central African Republic?

The thing about writing for the Guardian is that you never have to stop the self-flagellation.
Cyclist, spoonman, The Red Arrow and 1 others liked this

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
For all the sparkly lights and loud bangs, this latest round of bombing is tantamount to nothing. It will not change a thing.

Sending Assad one of these clear messages about which we hear so much? We might as well send him flowers.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Not exactly unsurprising. The international community had to do something because of the whole chemical weapons thing, and rightly so. But at the end of the day I suspect none of Paris, London nor Washington really fancy actually doing anything which changes things dramatically and making too much of an enemy of either the Russians or IS.

By Daley Mayle
Have you ever disturbed an ants' nest revealing the eggs and workers? It's quite an extraordinary sight, the workers ants rush around gathering up the eggs and stuff and within minutes everything has been taken somewhere else. No trace of the nest is left apart from a few disgruntled ants.

Syria had a week.

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Bercow not having any of it.
Bercow refuses request for emergency Syria debate on PM's motion, saying May should have recalled parliament if she wanted one
Coming back to Syria for a moment, John Bercow, the Commons speaker, has released an open letter to Theresa May explaining why he is planning to pick a motion tabled by the Labour MP Alison McGovern as the topic for an emergency Syria debate tonight, not hers.

In it, Bercow effectively says that if May wanted a debate on Syria, she should have recalled parliament.

By MisterMuncher
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:20 pm
For all the sparkly lights and loud bangs, this latest round of bombing is tantamount to nothing. It will not change a thing.

Sending Assad one of these clear messages about which we hear so much? We might as well send him flowers.
I wouldn't overlook the possibility that the US and Russia might also be doing a bit of willy-waving, letting each other see the new toys in action.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 pm
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:20 pm

I wouldn't overlook the possibility that the US and Russia might also be doing a bit of willy-waving, letting each other see the new toys in action.
That's always likely.
However I understood that they usually used the older and tattier toys for this sort of thing.
That way, if one fails to detonate, there's no goldmine of clever stuff for the other side's boffins to analyse.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
This situation where Corbyn and the Alt-Right are aligned over the air-strikes is causing all sorts of confusion.

Best Rated comments under article about the air strikes:

Tonyp, LONDON, United Kingdom, 23 hours ago
So she thinks it was in Britain's national interest does she? that's exactly what Blair said about non existent WMDs
+2135 -353
Weaselfangs, Bournemouth, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Whether or not the air strikes were required, I fail to understand the "national intetest" justification. Unless she means Saudi Arabia will be pleased and buy more arms from us.
+1342 -175
Wise Tom, Dundee, United Kingdom, 23 hours ago
Pathetic excuse for a Leader, We have No interest in Syria, Worry about and act on Britains problems at home, Lawless streets, Poorest pensions in the Western World and Homelessness, Solve these problems then start worrying about Syria.
+457 -88
Olderbutnonethewiser, Halifax, United Kingdom, 23 hours ago
Strange how it was only when Syria allegedly used its chemical weapons some weeks after the alleged Russian attack in Salisbury that she suddenly comes up with this brilliant idea to link the two to justify her decision to involve us. We're not that easily fooled May.
+385 -66

Best Rated comments under article about Corbyn disagreeing with the air strikes...exactly like the Mailtes have been:

Maximus Brexitus, Venonis, United Kingdom, 22 hours ago
Agent Corbyn can't do anything without approval from Moscow Centre? This is news?
+1822 -205
I owe - i owe, Narnia, United Kingdom, 22 hours ago
Communist
+1345 -77
Nostalgic Liberal, London, United Kingdom, 22 hours ago
Jeremy Corbyns pacifism and craven attitude to Russia make him completely unfit to be PM. It¿s important that the upcoming local elections are used to send a message in this regard as well as not giving labour and Lib Dem councils scope for big council tax rises.
+1224 -115
Susan, Breda, Netherlands, 21 hours ago
This is the communist face of labour today. Im sure asking Russia's 'permission' will work wonders. The man is a total buffon and a disgrace to the UK. Get him out.
+913 -71

It's literally a case of:

Air Strikes = Bad. Leave Putin alone. It's all a conspiracy against him anyway.

Corbyn says air strikes are bad = Communist, Russia loving bastard.
Owen Jones

For all the bleating and whining of the Simperin[…]

Poppy Day bingo

And, as from today, we have the giant poppies in p[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Non-story isn't it? You'd not expect the front be[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

50 cal? The DUP are going to vote to keep the kind[…]