Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 65.9 % :thumbsup: 6.8 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 19.3 % 😟 4.5 % :shit: 2.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
It's profoundly uncomplicated.

Retrospective polling of "why did you do X?" is useful because it's a static fact. "I voted for Corbyn because he makes jam and I like jam".
Prospective polling of "who will you vote for in the next GE?" is not as useful as it's prone to changing. Labour had a 10 point lead under Miliband pre-election time, but still lost. Corbyn gained 14 points in the space of 2 months once the GE was called and campaign rules applied.

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I beg to differ. Your game on here is torturously complicated on the one hand, and, yes, profoundly uncomplicated on the other.

Fair enough on the polls, but your behaviour suggests that you'll far more swiftly flip reality to suit you, than the other way around. If Labour come out on top in polls all of a sudden, you'll find them fascinatingly interesting, I have absolutely no doubt at all. You persistently ignore points in favour of selective argument, and then mock and jibe with it. Your obsession with anyone who slights the leader leads you down very stupid and strange alleyways. It's weird. Sad!
Abernathy liked this

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
If Labour came out on top I'd hope it'd sate the critics, but I know it wouldn't. I'm not saying I'd mind if labour were 20 points ahead at the minute, but as I've just said when it's silly season all bets are off, especially with the massive uncertainty that Brexit carries.

Happy for criticism of Jeremy. I'll offer one for free - he's too much of a soft touch. I'd like to see him be the authoritarian he's accused of being once or twice. He's too willing to forgive and forget, and I think it lets him be played for a sap.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 am
If Labour came out on top I'd hope it'd sate the critics,
Why would it? You've spent ages saying polls don't matter, but you're admitting that you think they do if they tell you something you want to hear?

Winegums wrote:
the massive uncertainty that Brexit carries.
There's no uncertainty. Leaving the EU will utterly fuck us over and destroy any plans corbyn has.

Winegums wrote:
Happy for criticism of Jeremy. I'll offer one for free - he's too much of a soft touch.
As far as criticism goes, that's pretty much up there with "he's too handsome".
youngian, oboogie liked this

By Abernathy
I don't agree. Mandatory reselection isn't in anybody's interests, and IS all but exclusively the interest of vengeful members of The Cult and rabid hard left zealots that returned to the party after leaving because of Iraq when Corbyn won the leadership.

The existing trigger ballot mechanism is perfectly adequate, and is indeed being used to move against Field & Hoey.

I think that making the deselection of MPs too easy is not a route that the party should be taking.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 pm
Mandatory re selection has never been about Democracy it has always been about control of our MPs by the activists.
And a golden opportunity for ambitious mediocre hacks to tell activists what they want to hear to secure the gig.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
lord_kobel wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am
Winegums wrote:
If Labour came out on top I'd hope it'd sate the critics,
Why would it? You've spent ages saying polls don't matter, but you're admitting that you think they do if they tell you something you want to hear?

Winegums wrote:
the massive uncertainty that Brexit carries.
There's no uncertainty. Leaving the EU will utterly fuck us over and destroy any plans corbyn has.

Winegums wrote:
Happy for criticism of Jeremy. I'll offer one for free - he's too much of a soft touch.
As far as criticism goes, that's pretty much up there with "he's too handsome".
I hear he's too much of a perfectionist and all.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:03 pm
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 pm
Mandatory re selection has never been about Democracy it has always been about control of our MPs by the activists.
And a golden opportunity for ambitious mediocre hacks to tell activists what they want to hear to secure the gig.
We will end up with more Jared O'Maras

By Boiler
I had a bavette in Paris once. I could have nailed it to my shoe to repair the sole.

The sad thing is, we can't selectively make those bastards who voted for Brexit eat the shit sandwiches that are coming our way - because I'd happily watch them suffer. We can read this stuff, hope for something that will end this nightmare but let's face it. Nothing will change.

Brexit is going to happen, and most likely on WTO terms. There is nothing we can do about it - resistance is futile.
By Andy McDandy
Sorry about this but I've been on holiday for a few days. Has anything happened or is the argument still basically where it was on Thursday?
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The MP and leading Brexiteer said voters will fee[…]

The Trump Presidency

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuAszilXcAA4Ivl.jpg […]

Theresa May

She'll only be out if she resigns. The ERG couldnt[…]

Winterval Bingo

A man of whom it can truly be said 'he rose witho[…]