Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
:sunglasses: 46.7 % ❤ 19.6 % :thumbsup: 9.3 % :grinning: 12.1 % 🧥 1.9 % 🙏 4.7 % 😟 4.7 % :cry: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
You could enjoy Doctor Who, played by Patrick Troughton, battling the Daleks, without having to sit through a tedious lecture about racism in America's Deep South
Even as a ten-year-old it was pretty obvious the Daleks were a political lecture on the consequences of racism. But they were based on German racists rather than Dickie's buddies next door.
Would that we had that kind of razor-sharp brilliance on TV today, in stark contrast to the endless diet of right-on panel shows, infested with Left-wing 'comedians' trying to squeeze laughs out of predictable, puerile attacks on Ukip, Thatcher and Trump.
Yeh no lefty writers and comedians back then targetting UKIP voters
The comedy highlight of the night would be the brilliant Till Death Us Do Part — the original series, that is, written by working-class genius Johnny Speight and starring Warren Mitchell as Alf Garnett,

By Boiler
youngian wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:08 am
You could enjoy Doctor Who, played by Patrick Troughton, battling the Daleks, without having to sit through a tedious lecture about racism in America's Deep South
Even as a ten-year-old it was pretty obvious the Daleks were a political lecture on the consequences of racism. But they were based on German racists rather than Dickie's buddies next door.
He'd have disliked a lot of the Pertwee episodes then.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
His not invalid argument of "hundreds of channels with nothing good on vs 2 channels of high quality" is undermined by 2 things.

First, it's his old mate Rupert who let the cat out of the bag when it came to plurality of channels. Second, he'd be the first to complain about the nanny state prescribing what we can watch if we had just 2 channels, even if they were solid gold in quality.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Another point about proliferation of channels was Thatchcunt who expressed support for Mary Whitehouse’s clean up TV campaign, but then deregulated broadcasting which resulted in more filth than ever.
By Andy McDandy
My dad was of the opinion that what Whitehouse really hated was complexity and being asked to think. Leggy lovelies in glitter and underwear at primetime was of less concern to her than a flash of a nipple on a mature drama tucked away at midnight on bbc2.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
I always thought Whitehouse was too much of a figure of fun to be taken seriously. She latched on to Till Death do us part, simply because Alf used to say “bloody” a lot, and used to regularly complain to the then director general of the BBC, Hugh Greene.

He responded by passing her letters to Johnny Speight, who used to incorporate them into the next episode!

Eventually she ended up complaining about either The Sooty Show or Pinky and Perky, can’t remember which one, at which point she degenerated into a joke.

Incidentally, she was initially going to call her campaign “Clean Up National Television” until the unfortunate acronym was pointed out :D

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Would that we had that kind of razor-sharp brilliance on TV today, in stark contrast to the endless diet of right-on panel shows, infested with Left-wing 'comedians' trying to squeeze laughs out of predictable, puerile attacks on Ukip, Thatcher and Trump.
Yeh no lefty writers and comedians back then targetting UKIP voters
The comedy highlight of the night would be the brilliant Till Death Us Do Part — the original series, that is, written by working-class genius Johnny Speight and starring Warren Mitchell as Alf Garnett,
It seems that Dickie hasn't come across Gareth Roberts Doctor Who writer and enormous right-wing arsehole.

https://twitter.com/OldRoberts953?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor

By MisterMuncher
The question I can't help but asking when I see this sort of TV nostalgia is: If all this stuff is what people really want, why haven't TV channels put it on, given it's an inherently competitive business? Surely a channel showing nothing else would be dominating the ratings and commanding huge advertising revenues. Rupert wouldn't want some of that?
spoonman liked this

By Boiler
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:08 pm
youngian wrote:
It seems that Dickie hasn't come across Gareth Roberts Doctor Who writer and enormous right-wing arsehole.

Christ, now there's a name I'd forgotten.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:42 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:08 pm
youngian wrote:

Christ, now there's a name I'd forgotten.
Ah your're familiar with him.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Of course they agree. Because it's not them affect[…]

The Tories, Generally

https://twitter.com/RalfLittle/status/119689848163[…]

The LibDems, generally

That reminds me of Rick Spleen's vague plans for […]

Nigel Farage

I'm sure Sgt Major Williams will be along to comme[…]