Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 36.8 % ❤ 2 % :thumbsup: 15.1 % 😯 2.6 % :grinning: 28.3 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 1.3 % 😟 8.6 % :cry: 2.6 % :shit: 1.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
That was when the news was limited to a few bulletins a day, and they could afford teams of reporters. What changed? 24 hour news. You've got to fill the space so you invite on talking heads. This cuts into your reporting budget, so you concentrate on a few "name" reporters, who become celebs in their own right. Rather than try to cover as much as possible, you concentrate on signposted local (London) events. Because you have to keep filling the space, editorial judgement goes out of the window.
Brexit legal advice warns of UK being trapped by Irish backstop

He stresses that the protocol setting out the backstop would “endure” even if negotiations between the two sides broke down. “In international law, the protocol would endure indefinitely until a superseding arrangement took its place,” the document says.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... h-backstop
Here's a thing I haven't quite wrapped my synapses around yet. Assuming (as everybody does) that May's Brexit withdrawal agreement is rejected next week in the commons, and the increasing pressure for a final "people's vote" bears fruit, how would it then be possible to put forward May's deal - rejected by parliament, remember - as an option on a referendum ballot paper ?
There does not seem to be too much joined up thinking on this. The speed of it all and the complexities have minds more agile than mine totally at sea.

I'll preface the next thoughts with "summink I read somewhere". I haven't a fucking Scooby.

* A referendum cannot bind parliament. Truculence or further foreign influence/lies/over-spending could bring us back to where we are.
* The likely date, according to Ms Greening, would be May 30th which is after the next European Parliament elections.
* Do UK citz get to vote?
* Would UK MEPs get to sit during that period?
* If A50 is extended, what happens to my vote - is it still a right?
* How much are log cabins in Vietnam with a 5G signal?
Watchman liked this
Abernathy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 pm
Here's a thing I haven't quite wrapped my synapses around yet. Assuming (as everybody does) that May's Brexit withdrawal agreement is rejected next week in the commons, and the increasing pressure for a final "people's vote" bears fruit, how would it then be possible to put forward May's deal - rejected by parliament, remember - as an option on a referendum ballot paper ?
I would imagine that it would be put forward as the "Leave" option on the basis it's the only plan which has been negotiated and anything else would put at risk other UK treaties and international obligations, and is as such not something which should be found on a ballot paper.
bluebellnutter wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am
Abernathy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 pm
I would imagine that it would be put forward as the "Leave" option on the basis it's the only plan which has been negotiated and anything else would put at risk other UK treaties and international obligations, and is as such not something which should be found on a ballot paper.

I think you can make a referendum result binding so it wouldn't have to go through parliament. If parliament chooses to.
I grew up in Dudley. They're all thick wankers.
Richard Littlejohn

The deeply embarrassed, homo-erotically fixated, d[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Mr. Fenton covers both the ambulance story and […]

Toby Young

Translation: I bullied my kids. Must admit I […]

Biased BBC

Who do these uppity foreigners think they’re[…]