•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
AOB wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:20 pm
The ongoing Jaguar ads. Aside from the dodgy CGI jaguar it gives the impression Jaguar only want stuck-up types buying their vehicles. In the latest, Eva Green sneers at someone "I don't do popular choices". The same Eva Green who chose to appear in the popular James Bond franchise.
Indeed. But also, I'd most certainly buy her a pint.
The image Eva Green cultivates is a combination of a) classy bird who has no time for bits of rough, and b) goes like a belt fed mortar. These are not mutually exclusive.

Sexist? I don't know. Her choice to market herself as such, and more power to her.
Boiler wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:02 am
So hang on a minute - commenting on a particularly poor photo of Theresa May invites censure, yet none of the above posts do and we have a whole thread devoted to 'sexist observations'? :roll:
That wasn't censure from me; I don't have the subtlety to make oblique references. What I was doing was arguing that we should be above these people, including those who would call me a Queue Jumper and a Citizen of Nowhere.

The current febrile atmosphere also suggests, I believe, that we should be all the more cautious when it comes to women.

Moreover, I challenged myself about my own language a couple of days ago when I referred again to "Kellyanne Meltface." I gave myself a green light on this one because she paid good money to look like that.

Indeed, Mrs May was paid good money to look like that - it is a direct and unavoidable consequence of her job. And, despite knowing that she is a enemy of me as much as anyone, there is still a part of me that has sympathy for her. Ridiculous as that my be.
There was a discussion on a railway forum which was on a similar subject - that soon developed into a "funny how there are people ready to be offended for others" etc. from the older men. The discussion was suggesting that offensive and sexist behaviour would only dissuade women from joining the profession.
Not quite in keeping with this thread.....but why all the woooha about the (major production) Christmas adverts; am I the only person on the planet NOT to have seen them?
Watchman wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:03 pm
Not quite in keeping with this thread.....but why all the woooha about the (major production) Christmas adverts; am I the only person on the planet NOT to have seen them?
No: I don't watch ITV at all except if a new Maigret is on. Do record Kojak on ITV4, but that's it. And I always record ITV shows so I can skip through the adverts.
Last edited by Boiler on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchman wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:03 pm
Nope. I don't have a television. I've not had one for 20 years, and don't miss it either.
Richard Littlejohn

The deeply embarrassed, homo-erotically fixated, d[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Mr. Fenton covers both the ambulance story and […]

Toby Young

Translation: I bullied my kids. Must admit I […]

Biased BBC

Who do these uppity foreigners think they’re[…]