Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 69.6 % :thumbsup: 4.8 % 😯 0.8 % :grinning: 18.4 % 🙏 0.8 % 😟 3.2 % :cry: 0.8 % :shit: 1.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
visage wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:34 pm
Labour got less votes than last time - will Corbyn resign?
A council by election in Leicester obviously proves Labour will win the next election hands down.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:09 pm
Milage in a few years of "the mess we inherited from the tories" surely?

And l was going to go straight to source, but I know Bastani raises the blood pressure round here...

Funny how Bastani neglected to mention the Labour vote percentage went down or they didn’t even field a candidate in all the other by elections yesterday. Or that the increased vote in the one they held (not won - held) is likely due to the by election being caused by the very recent death of the popular incumbent.

So, an increased result tied directly to local context and not really attributable to Corbyn, lost vote share in Oxford and the Highlands, and no one stood in Surrey. Oh, and 2 national polls showing Labour losing ground to the Tories in one, and making up 1% in another - both showing them dead level though. Dead level with a govt. that has just been found to be in contempt of parliament.

Bit of a different picture when all the details are added. On that basis - lost votes locally at both ends of the UK and no ground made up on a Tory party so woeful and corrupt they’re now lying to parliament itself - when WILL Corbyn be resigning? Because on this shocking performance, it is an entirely legitimate question.
lord_kobel liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
By elections this last month are OK, not much more. On the plus side, Labour seems to be able to get votes out in competitive places. I expect that reflects local effort, and fair play to Corbyn that he attracted a lot more activists. On the minus side, the results overall don't at all suggest "the last days of the Tories" or a big general uplift in Labour, and that's likely a fair bit to do with Corbyn as well.

I'd certainly not be too blase about winning a general election against that backdrop.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
All polling outside of elections means diddly squat. By-elections aren't that important either given generally poor turnout and heavy weighting towards local issues.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:13 pm
bluebellnutter wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am
So if this would be Corbyn's position in the event he gets what he wants in a GE before March, what happens when this fails? The complete disconnect between Corbyn and reality on this is mind-boggling, any decent leader in his position would be saying "this isn't working, my plan B is this realistic option (e.g. Norway, Remain)". To simply say "We'd paint the unicorns red and it'll definitely work" is just nuts.
It will be someone else's fault, because it always is. The parallels between the brexit project and the Corbyn project are quite something when you realise. Get a surprise result. Consolidate power. Use language such as 'traitor' against your opponents. Get people in key positions. Rig the system in your favour. Fuck up relentlessly. Blame the people who lost/who aren't in control for all your problems and defeats, and claim that if only they ceased all criticism it would all be wonderful.

Does beg the question that if Corbyn did get to power and things inevitably went pear-shaped, would his supporters blame remainers or centrists?
100% this.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... orbyn-says

Can Corbyn stop lecturing other countries for a minute? I'm guessing that they probably don't want to hear it from some bloke who, as far as they're concerned, is supporting a big economic hit on his own country. I know he's talking to other left of centre politicians, but they aren't the only people who read this stuff.

It's like he sees the EU as being one unadulterated lump of "neoliberal failure", rather than different places with their own strengths and weaknesses. Actually, I think the whole world, apart from Bolivia, is now "neoliberal failure" to him.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:26 am
All polling outside of elections means diddly squat. By-elections aren't that important either given generally poor turnout and heavy weighting towards local issues.
I agree - which is why Bastani's crowing about Corbyn is absolute horse shit.
Theresa May

What a weak leader....

Labour, Generally.

Shami looks more unconvincing here than Barry Gard[…]

The Tories, Generally

Even Ol' Brillo Head is uncomfortable with this...[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

I watched a documentary on one of the sky channe[…]