:sunglasses: 57.1 % :thumbsup: 14.3 % :grinning: 14.3 % 😟 14.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
I'm sure I wasn't born with the ability to use a rotary dial phone. Or this if it had been part of my childhood.
Attachments
an-early-20th-century-telephone-at-the-hopper-goetschius-house-museum-KGA6D4.jpg
an-early-20th-century-telephone-at-the-hopper-goetschius-house-museum-KGA6D4.jpg (178.98 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

By Boiler
Big Arnold wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 am
I'm sure I wasn't born with the ability to use a rotary dial phone. Or this if it had been part of my childhood.
Central Battery phone. You crank the handle to ring a bell at the exchange, and the battery at the exchange (hence "Central Battery") provides speech current. The operator connects you to the person you wish to speak to.
By Chris S
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Some top comments on an article about millennials going out and spending money
They are trying to impress everyone and living for the moment. You'll want get far with that lifestyle.
I have seen it with coworkers. Living with mom and dad once married but had to have destination bachelorette parties they could not afford. Their friends did the same thing.
Learn to live within your means people. Social media is hell.
I scrimped and saved $15,000 toward a home for a good 5 years. I was very lucky to find a fixer-upper 2br/2ba for exactly that much, with an acre of land. I bought my 1998 Jeep for $800.00. It can be done but you HAVE to make sacrifices. I don't see many millennials taking that challenge. Most don't even want to work.
They would rather have the newest phone every year and the newest laptop and expensive clothes for their fake Instagram life.
It's because they have no concept of deferred gratification. Nor can they possibly understand spending less than they make. Two major fatal flaws.

Some top comments on an article about millennials staying in and watching TV
You can't beat a night with friends down your local. Whilst they look at screens, we used to talk, laugh, swap advice, play pool, snooker, dart and cards. But of course that's living life, not watching it.
I weep for this generation.
I really don't know what went wrong with this generation?
Parents gave way too much freedom to this generation, that they didn't have when they were growing up. Unfortunately it hasn't done them any good! A bunch of PC spoilt moaners that all have a mental illness and can't cope with simple things in life.
Watching TV isn't spending "quality" time.
It's almost like you can't fucking win
Timbo liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I mean...this is just fucking weird...

Have millennials killed the doorbell? People admit they're 'too scared' to answer the 'aggressive' ring - and don't open the door to visitors unless they TEXT
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -ring.html

The Mailites aren't having it.

Smokiemum12, Gollum, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
I'm no millenial but I rarely answer the door unless I'm expecting someone.
+209 -4
Stella Valentina, Barnard Elite, United States, 2 hours ago
I never answer the door or answer the phone when I don't know the person.
+115 -4
Cherry Merlot, USA, United States, 2 hours ago
I don't answer the door unless I know who it is. No, actually, I only answer the door if I'm expecting someone: who stops by uninvited?
+74 -6
Rhonda55, New York City, United States, 1 hour ago
It's too dangerous to answer the door! I live alone and there's no way I would open the door to someone I don't know!
+56 -2

By Boiler
Did you deliberately pick US contributors? Somehow, I sort of expect it from that part of the world.

I have to say... I seldom answer the door either unless I'm expecting a delivery and I don't answer the telephone if I don't recognise the caller ID. At one time I had 'withheld' numbers barred but it used to cause trouble with the doctors and the like. 1470 didn't always work.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
No they were just picked from the top rated comments. I assume they dropped this pearl of wisdom when the American contingent were online!

I actually find that last comment quite sad. People not bothering to answer the door because they suspect it's most likely a salesman or something is one thing, but to actually be scared to and think its too dangerous? That's no way to live.

By Boiler
For some though, it is their way of life: the elderly and vulnerable are easy prey for a lot of scum out there (don't ask how I know). Here, I feel safe: but once I open that door, the safety has gone. At one time things got so bad I nearly had the phone disconnected and likewise the TV/radio aerials so the outside world couldn't get in, so to speak. And given my physical appearance, I've been a target for abuse in the past so why would I let the world outside into my safe space?

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
The Mail still very keen to capitalise on the Young 'v' Old division we're seeing in this current climate.

Millennial, 22, who brands the elderly 'slow and smelly' spends two days with a 78-year-old - and the pensioner is stunned he can't iron, lies in every day and doesn't know what flour looks like
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... ioner.html

Captain Black, Pen y bont, United Kingdom, 4 hours ago
Eric thinks? You do surprise me, most millennials require a small electronic device permanently attached to their hand to do their thinking for them!
+399 -5
FreePress, Wales, United Kingdom, 4 hours ago
Its because of clowns like this they should reintroduce national service.
+399 -10
Crashbangwallop, Valletta, Malta, 4 hours ago
Bless the little snowflake.
+302 -4
Tompaine, Manchester, United Kingdom, 4 hours ago
A few years of national service would sort out snowflakes like Eric
+41 -0

Kernowpete, Kernow, United Kingdom, 4 hours ago
the living at your parents and singing thing is what I can fathom. I could not wait to get my own place as soon as I could. It was a rented smelly little dump, but it was mine and crucially it was independence. Why would any male at this age want to live with their parents?
+52 -5
Kernowpete doesn't really have a grasp on the current property market.

Marianne, Eatbourne, United Kingdom, 4 hours ago
Nothing but "snowflakes" the majority of them! God help us if "war" broke out we would have no chance at all whatsoever with these "useless" individuals!
+54 -1
"Marianne" doesn't seem to "understand" what quotation marks "are".
On the Radio

Listening to The Reunion (partly) on Radio 4 w[…]

Boris Johnson

Now then. https://twitter.com/PhilipHammondUK/sta[…]

Labour, Generally.

On a similar note I've seen many comments to the e[…]

The Northern Irish thread

Well, one bus company in Ballymena would appear to[…]