•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:41 am
So, basically, don't talk about it, don't look for answers and don't condemn anyone, otherwise you're doing what the terrorist wanted? Riiiight...
Sometimes described as "don't give them the oxygen of publicity".

I don't get it either.

By Oblomov
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:29 pm
I think the tabloids are gearing up to blame 'The Internet' for this.
I can see that, especially as his manifesto is full of incoherent strands about memes. There's even this peculiar line:
Memes have done more for the ethno-nationalist movement than any manifesto
Trump apparently linked to Breitbart in the immediate aftermath on this. If you don't want your day ruined any further I recommend avoiding looking at their comments on the incident.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
He used relatively obscure memes which, unless you take some interest in internet culture and know about 4chan 8chan etc, it wouldn't mean a lot. The likes of The Sun and Daily Mail will just lump this is as "The Internet" and allowing social media to 'spread hate' (never mind their own fucking publications).

Where it gets a bit more complicated is the Alt-Right mouthpieces seem to be trying to make this guy a lot more intelligent and calculated that he is. The memes he used were not hidden messages. He wasn't attempting to use them, or mention PewDiePie (YouTuber) to further a 'culture war' in some clever and sophisticated way. He was just a typical 4chan type loser who was trying to appeal to his pretend internet friends by using memes which they know about and would laugh at.

Remember that when/if you read some bullshit essay from the likes of Paul Joseph Watson or Sargon of Akkad trying to turn this into a pity party about how The Right are being used to accelerate some ongoing culture war and the media have 'fallen for it'.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Can't predict who tomorrow's dailies will have nominated as scapegoat.
I'm sure they have a bingo card for this sort of thing

A quick look at Mail and YouTube (I wish I hadn't) shows agreement that "Multiculturalism" done it and ran away.

By Oblomov
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:24 pm
He used relatively obscure memes which, unless you take some interest in internet culture and know about 4chan 8chan etc, it wouldn't mean a lot. The likes of The Sun and Daily Mail will just lump this is as "The Internet" and allowing social media to 'spread hate' (never mind their own fucking publications).

Where it gets a bit more complicated is the Alt-Right mouthpieces seem to be trying to make this guy a lot more intelligent and calculated that he is. The memes he used were not hidden messages. He wasn't attempting to use them, or mention PewDiePie (YouTuber) to further a 'culture war' in some clever and sophisticated way. He was just a typical 4chan type loser who was trying to appeal to his pretend internet friends by using memes which they know about and would laugh at.

Remember that when/if you read some bullshit essay from the likes of Paul Joseph Watson or Sargon of Akkad trying to turn this into a pity party about how The Right are being used to accelerate some ongoing culture war and the media have 'fallen for it'.
His manifesto is a right hodge podge (probably befitting the multitab browsing age), there was also mention of Anders Brevik as an inspiration and Donald Trump as a renewed icon of white masculine identity and then some musing about eco-fascism too? But I'll go over it again and make a follow up post on it.

What worries me is tabloids won't look beyond the memes as some kind of coded symbol for racism when they have a more insidious nature of discrediting the terrorist and his ideology because "they're just memes, how can you take him seriously?" but concurrently spreading the shorthand translation of ideas that memetics is. I might even stretch to call it a type of innuendo, somewhat akin to performers in the 1960s and 70s slipping smut past the censors of the day.
Safe_Timber_Man liked this
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Latest Yahoo comment trawl further destroys faith in humanity. Why aren't they guarding the churches? Why was he named so quickly? Why isn't he being branded as mentally ill? And of course, they had it coming.

I know it's bottom feeders, but...Just...Fuck.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
I await a response from the NRA in the USA and its mouth-breathing hangers on to say that the massacre would have been stopped had the bad armed alt-right terrorist guy with a semi automatic machine gun came face to face with a good bunch of Muslim guys in that mosque armed with semi automatic machine guns.

But in a less dark sarcastic view, the main perpetrator sounds like someone who is a regular 4chan /pol/ poster brought to life (noting that he found more of a home on the even more sordid 8chan). I guess fellow idealogues will go one of three ways, either praise or celebrate the killings in a covert manner that attracts victim blaming, attempt to try and distract from the fallout by claiming that the "mainstream media" is using the incident to paint all alt-right and "denial of being alt-right" arseholes with a large brush (with no recognition of irony by them), or try and claim that this was a false-flag operation. The last one for once I seriously doubt even Alex Jones will try on given his current legal battles.
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:

Why should the big tech giants be let off the hook?

By Projective Unity
Membership Days
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:

Let off for what exactly? When Facebook found out about the video they took it down pretty sharpish but once something's uploaded there's nothing really anybody do can about it being distributed far and wide.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Sadiq Khan on Ch4 News giving both barrels to the Tories for running the most racist campaign ever against him due to his faith.
I’ve had no apology from Zac, no apology from the party he belongs to. These aren't people on the periphery. They are national politicians. Some have held the job I hold.

Tories respond in true Trump style
Sadiq Khan's faith was not an issue in the campaign to become Mayor which was conducted with integrity, honesty & by appealing to Londoners regardless of their colour or creed.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 pm
Other than removing content that is either illegal or against their ToS, I've never really understood the eagerness to blame what is essentially a neutral conduit that can't realistically do 100% screening in real time. To me it's like blaming BT or Vodafone for receiving malicious or threatening phone calls.
lord_kobel wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:52 pm
They can delete the post, they can delete the user. They can have actual useful terms and conditions that they actually follow. Twitter hides nazis in germany, because they have to by law, but they refuse to do anything about them anywhere else.
Exactly YouTube could help by getting rid of its algorithm feed, they should also ban Nazis from their platform.
spoonman wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 pm
Other than removing content that is either illegal or against their ToS, I've never really understood the eagerness to blame what is essentially a neutral conduit that can't realistically do 100% screening in real time. To me it's like blaming BT or Vodafone for receiving malicious or threatening phone calls.
Like murder?

Hours, HOURS after this atrocity and they were still available to watch.
Jeremy Corbyn.

If he could command a majority in the Commons, I t[…]

MMR Jab

Wakefield fed into an anti-"nanny state"[…]

Jess Phillips

I see that Jess has a new book coming out, called […]

The Sun

Song of the Yellowhammer "A little bit of br[…]