•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Topic opened to post two articles written from an Irish perspective.

Bloody Sunday was a very British atrocity – the top brass got away with it
Eamonn McCann
It is 47 years since 13 people were gunned down in Derry and just one soldier has been charged. We still don’t know who gave the orders that led to carnage
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... er-charged.
People were devastated': relatives of Bloody Sunday victims on the charge

News that only one soldier will face prosecution for six shootings leaves families of other victims disappointed
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... the-charge

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
On one hand, I vaguely understand the logic that says the soldiers shouldn't be punished, because all the other bad hats got out of jail, and so why must they suffer, and so on. It's basic, and flawed, and ignores a great deal of context, but I do kind of get it.

I just happen to wholly disagree with it. I expect that the state should be held to a higher standard than fucking terrorists. I expect the law should apply equally to all, and in this case that should mean a trial, and in the event of a guilty verdict, commuting under GFA terms. That's what will happen, and for all the squawking, they'll never see a day in jail. Finally, I think it does the people of Derry a great injustice to brush it under the mat as "these things happen, dirty war".

The press, and their constant elision of the victims and the IRA makes my fucking blood boil. It's been a repeated canard through the campaign for legacy enquiries, and it's simply false. Having my own dog in the fight, I can tell you it hurts like hell.
spoonman, youngian, Timbo liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The law is not applied equally in peace processes which can be a dirty business of amnesties and deal-making to start a new slate. But in order to obtain amnesty, you have to be convicted of your crimes first and this festering wound of Bloody Sunday needs closure. I looked up the casualty rate of WWII in proportion to the UK population and it was lower than NI's in the Troubles. Or a civil war as it would be known if it was happening in London or Manchester for three decades.
Timbo liked this

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
The excuse of "just obeying orders" wasn't accepted at Nuremberg. I'd like to see those in charge in the dock, if they are still alive. Granted the ex-squaddies are now old, but TPTB have kicked the can down the road for nearly half a century.
One senior officer recently justified the killing as they were at war, even though the Geneva Convention doesn't allow shooting fleeing unarmed civilians. The army undoubtedly made the Troubles much worse.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
PETER HITCHENS: The trial of 'Soldier F' is the final proof that the IRA won
Yet millions, especially the Blair creature who signed the instrument of surrender, are still keen to pretend that we won this nasty little war, when we lost it, as Soldier F now knows very well.

It is all part of the deep, deep sleep of Britain, from which we shall only be awakened by shock and awe, as we finally realise that we have spent what we earned, and wantonly wrecked what we inherited from our wiser forebears.
Bollocks!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... A-won.html

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Everybody there knows that one day soon, the referendum promised in the 1998 surrender to the IRA will be held, and the whole thing will be handed over to Dublin rule. For the first time since 1945, a Western European country will surrender territory to its neighbour as a reward for successful armed aggression backed by the USA, a fact so shocking that many still cannot comprehend it.
What territory? Territory that hasn't been handed over but could be in the future by consent. If he wanted to be a rational Unionist he could have named many reasons why a UnityRef would fail in the foreseeable future. Instead writes the same piece as 20 years ago.
This handover is guaranteed by solemn treaty, by the way. There’ll be no dithering, no negotiation, no second thoughts. The projected Irish referendum is not ‘advisory’. It will be final if it decides in favour of a united Ireland (though it can be held again, every seven years, if it produces the ‘wrong’ result, until it comes up with the right one).

By Oblomov
Big Arnold wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:22 am
The excuse of "just obeying orders" wasn't accepted at Nuremberg. I'd like to see those in charge in the dock, if they are still alive. Granted the ex-squaddies are now old, but TPTB have kicked the can down the road for nearly half a century.
One senior officer recently justified the killing as they were at war, even though the Geneva Convention doesn't allow shooting fleeing unarmed civilians. The army undoubtedly made the Troubles much worse.
During the Marine A trial I saw a lot of "he's a soldier, he's supposed to kill people" handwaving comments under the article.
Jacob Rees-Mogg

What I am thinking right now is unacceptable, so I[…]

Twat of the Day

Better punch line. I could be confused - was drink[…]

2019 General Election

From Ibiza to the Norfolk broads... #ToryLies ht[…]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/12025663220785[…]