Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.6 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 4.4 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 20.7 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Oblomov
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:29 pm
"Oh yeah, it's the one where he turns into a beetle. It's a metaphor for stuff! And shit."
I didn't realize he was in Doug Stanhope's book club.
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 pm
mattomac wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:34 pm
It wasn’t young people who swung him to power it was the next two generations up.
"Swung him to power"? What power?
My mistake, suppose you could say the leadership of the Labour Party but that was most crusty left trots who haven’t been away from the SWP for 20 years.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
I'm going to have to give Jez a (gritted teeth, believe me) apology. I thought that May would get enough Tory backbenchers onside to put pressure on Labour to support the deal. I mean, perm customs union now v May's deal isn't that big a gulf. Few policies attractive to post-industrial areas (generally, rather than saying "here's £200m for Barnsley") could have been very tempting to some Labour MPs.

But the Tories really are that stupid. We've got a load of them hanging on longer than IDS and Rees Mogg. I'd have obviously liked a stronger stance from Labour, but fair play, it is still game on. Jez got that right.
youngian, Arrowhead liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
If JC were not backing May’s deal to force her into revoke/2nd ref, that would be one thing. But I don’t believe he is. He’s still trying to force a GE where if he wins - and that is a MASSIVE if - he will put his unicorn shit to the EU, and with no public vote.

In that much, he’s just as focused on a personal goal that’s at odds with what the majority want as Mogg and Boris. There’s no tactics or skill in his standing firm - just arrogance and selfishness.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
I think you can make a case for tactical competence, as it happens. I mean the government are fucked, there's strong opposition to no deal. I even think voting for Article 50 is defensible. There are possibilities from here. The problem is what the destination for Labour is. You can't expect any leader to carry all the Leave constituency MPs with them. So why not be stronger for Remain?

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 am
The problem is what the destination for Labour is.

A GE resulting in PM Corbyn taking over Brexit wack-a-mole from May. Its likely to be a minority administration in which he'd need Tory MPs to push through his Brexit.
Of course, the most fun scenario would be one where they were short enough to need to form a coalition, and whoever they formed it with demanded a change of labour leader :grinning:

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
So now we’re down to May’s deal 4: blame Corbyn edition.

God, I hope he doesn’t fall for it. All she’ll do is get a short extension, then bluster and backtrack, then present her deal vs no deal with no other options.

She is utterly despicable, and now we’re reliant on someone who also wants Brexit having enough nouse to realise it’s a bait and switch.
Projective Unity, Oblomov, Boiler and 3 others liked this
Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1172977063[…]

The LibDems, generally

Interesting. Never take Twitter at face value woul[…]

David Cameron

Hamface has known Johnson and Gove for long enou[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Oh, I can sense the foam around the mouths of news[…]