•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I had the misfortune of hearing this appalling woman as part of the Any Questions panel today lunchtime.

Yes, I was literally bellowing and spluttering at the radio as I listened to the string of unbelievable pig-headed stupidity emanating from her.

She's one of those "the referendum result must be delivered because will of the people and a further vote would fundamentally endanger democracy" types, but almost aggressively so. She doesn't even pay lip service to the fact that the referendum result that she so wants to honour was delivered corruptly on a gerrymandered franchise and deserves about as much respect as a used corn plaster, though to be fair she wasn't challenged on that basis.

I found her utterly loathsome. She is a former member of the RCP, and apparently founded The Institute of Ideas, a libertarian think tank.

What I cannot comprhend is that she is treated by the BBC as some sort of intellectual, appearing on The Moral Maze and so on, as well as Any Questions. The reality, however, is that she is as thick as shite in the neck of a bottle.

An absolutely appalling woman.
oboogie, Boiler, Malcolm Armsteen and 1 others liked this

By Boiler
I try to avoid The Moral Maze as I have no desire to destroy my car's radio whilst in motion but she usually turns up on that with "Priest and polemicist Giles Fraser". And yes, I heard her on AQ last night and along with Andrew Bridgen, I just had to switch off. No idea she was ex-RCP.

Bit like tonight's viewing - Frankie Boyle, with guest Grace Blakeley.

Sometimes the best thing for the radio to do is to remain silent.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I knew what Claire Fox was going to say on AQs about the climate change protest before she opened her mouth; She supports rebellious young people but not their aims and then indulges in climate change denial contrarianism without actually saying the evidence for it is nonsense.
Left leaning comedians aren’t equipped to challenge Grace’s absurd rhetoric about the EU being a ‘Neoliberal construct’. She didn’t even have to name check Greece.

By Boiler
youngian wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:55 am
I knew what Claire Fox was going to say on AQs about the climate change protest before she opened her mouth; She supports rebellious young people but not their aims and then indulges in climate change denial contrarianism without actually saying the evidence for it is nonsense.
Left leaning comedians aren’t equipped to challenge Grace’s absurd rhetoric about the EU being a ‘Neoliberal construct’. She didn’t even have to name check Greece.
She (Blakeley) came out with something even more absurd - that it's racist?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Claire Fox, who now styles herself as a libertarian and is a panellist on BBC Radio 4’s Moral Maze programme, told the launch event she most likely only agreed with Farage on one issue – Brexit.
“I’ve spent my whole life fighting for leftwing causes, so I can tell you, no one is more surprised than me to be standing as candidate for Nigel Farage’s Brexit party,” said Fox https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... exit-party

Anyone who’s heard Fox will not share her surprise at becoming a candidate for Farage’s party. Her claim she only agrees with Farage on Brexit is also bollocks.

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
She's on The Daily Politics at the moment, heartily objecting to the suggestion that whilst she brands herself as libertarian, she talks and votes much further to the right.

Also complaining about having to close down a magazine after it was bankrupted by the maximum possible libel damages. Swearing blind that she didn't print anything defamatory, it's just that the laws are all wrong.

The presenter asked her if she actually believes that there was genocide in Bosnia.

She dodged.
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
When she reviews the papers on Sky News they introduce her as the Director of the Institute of Ideas but when you look closely at the Institute of Ideas it is clear that it is funded by the right wing Adam Smith Institute and sundry international pharmaceutical companies. So I think most of the ideas coming from the Institute are likely to be very right wing.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 pm
An informative, if somewhat old, Grauniad piece on Fox. She is nasty. A very nasty fraud.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/ ... uJHIBbOQDc
I understand her "Up the 'RA" days are about to become a bit more public.
It'd b a shame if Brendan were dragged into that maelstrom.

Have you seen theold-age insurance ad, set in Yo[…]

Jeremy Corbyn faced a fresh crisis last night afte[…]

Boris Johnson

How can Patel be brought back after the last time?[…]

Labour, Generally.

I don't quite get the problem with that cartoon,[…]