Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 50 % ❤ 4 % :thumbsup: 4 % 😯 2 % :grinning: 22 % 🧥 2 % 😟 2 % :shit: 14 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:54 am
bluebellnutter wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 am
I'm not saying it worked out well for Surbiton but the word "suburb" came from it...
Oxford Etymological Dictionary wrote: suburb (n.)
early 14c., "area outside a town or city," whether agricultural or residential but most frequently residential, from Old French suburbe "suburb of a town," from Latin suburbium "an outlying part of a city" (especially Rome), from sub "below, near" (see sub-) + urbs (genitive urbis) "city" (see urban). Glossed in Old English as underburg. Just beyond the reach of municipal jurisdiction, suburbs had a bad reputation in 17c. England, especially those of London, and suburban had a sense of "inferior, debased, licentious" (as in suburban sinner, slang for "loose woman, prostitute"). By 1817, the tinge had shifted to "of inferior manners and narrow views." Compare also French equivalent faubourg.
'Surbiton' came from suburb, not the other way round.
My mistake. Still a decision much lamented by the people of Kingston.
Yeah Kingston has only the Kingston Loop and it's a bit shite (If Trains every 15 minutes is shite, plus they stop everywhere), Surbiton has high speed one stop services to Surrey/London and further.

The stage coach companies were apparently well represented in the town hence why such a large terminus effectively has such a crap train link. Cross Rail 2 however will improve that.
There's a song by a British dance band (of which both the title and indeed band escape me at the moment) which at the beginning has the band leader announcing a train's destinations as stations along the line to Kingston...
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm
The Alan Coren Band?
No, late 20s/early 30s. Lew Stone, Harry Roy, (Bert) Ambrose and their like. Got the tune going round and round in my head now.
mattomac wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:45 pm
I know,

Plus it has a massive protest down the line at Wimbledon, It is often quicker to go to Surbiton and get the bus.
Wimbledon? What's the issue? It's cramped around the station, something about that?
mattomac wrote:
I know,

Plus it has a massive protest down the line at Wimbledon, It is often quicker to go to Surbiton and get the bus.
Mornington Crescent!
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm
mattomac wrote:
I know,

Wimbledon? What's the issue? It's cramped around the station, something about that?
I think the plans required basically demolishing the entire station, including the shopping centre next to it.
>ahem<
Part of the group running a charity in Centre Court helping vulnerable young people into employment. The management are very supportive, and to lose this would be a great shame...
Centre Court provides shop premises etc. as part of their charity commitment. There is some other funding (Merton Council have just made the key worker redundant) and the shop sells the work of local crafters. It is run by volunteers (inc. me and Mrs A) and we take a percentage of sales. The 'learners' include Muslim women getting into the world of work, vulnerable teenagers, people with poor language skills, recent immigrants etc. It's a good place.

Have a look at https://www.instagram.com/fayresquarewimbledon/
Or even better, come and buy something.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Sure about that?

The Tories are living in this MInford fantasy worl[…]

The Tories, Generally

Cleverley. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2[…]

Labour, Generally.

Fairly predictable, really. Trumplet is successful[…]