Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 42 % ❤ 1.3 % :thumbsup: 9.3 % 😯 4 % :grinning: 32.7 % 🧥 3.3 % 🙏 2 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 2.7 % :shit: 1.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By karlt
Membership Days
I love this country. I love its mountains and its rugged coasts. I love its unique beer traditions, where a range of traditional brews from around the country are readily available and don't need to be sought out in remote locations. I even love our climate which is seldom too cold, not too often too hot and not for too long, and very very rarely homicidal. I have hitherto never really understood why anyone would move to somewhere else where they need to learn a new language, which will inevitably be too hot, too cold, possibly both at different times of the year, where the mountains are too big to get to the top of in a morning and still be down in the pub in the valley before teatime, and have rubbish beer and a dearth of Stilton and mature cheddar.

But caught between a Corbyn who (and I'm not revisiting the whole Winegums vs. everyone else debate) doesn't shall we say come across as a totally safe pair of hands in No 10, and the Tory shower who are usually the best of an inevitably bad lot but God knows if the front contenders now are the best it says very little for the rest, and a rising populist far-right who've latched onto Brexit like a python coiling round a pig, I start to wonder. I think the solution might be to get my Welsh up to scratch, move to Gwynedd and campaign for an independent Wales in the EU.
youngian, Oblomov liked this

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
I'd like to move to Scotland, and the possibility of living in an independent Scotland doesn't bother me much apart from all my income being state and Civil Service pensions if the pound goes down the toilet.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
To KarlT : There are wonderful cheeses, superb beers, moderate climes, and progressive government to be had in all sorts of places other than the UK - Germany, Belgium, France, Czech Republic, and so on. And people speak English nearly everywhere - though learning is a good thing.
By karlt
Membership Days
Abernathy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:36 am
To KarlT : There are wonderful cheeses, superb beers, moderate climes, and progressive government to be had in all sorts of places other than the UK - Germany, Belgium, France, Czech Republic, and so on. And people speak English nearly everywhere - though learning is a good thing.
Yes, I actually found a bar in Sorrento serving Italian craft beers - there is such a thing, and they're not the nasty over-hopped USA style stuff that tastes like grapefruit pith. It was an odd thing in an otherwise uniform sea of Peroni. But the price was eye-watering.

I exaggerate of course. But my point was that I've never prior to now found any reason to even consider emigration - this is home, this is familiar, it's what I know. Now, I'm not so sure.

What really sticks in my craw is arseholes like Farage taking the things I love and making them emblems of his campaign of xenophobia and pathetic nationalism.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
bluebellnutter wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:30 am
Michaela Gove reminds me of a young Su Pollard. Jemima Hunt looks like she enjoys a Wetherspoons liquid lunch at 11AM. Dominique Raab is the only one carrying this off.
By Andy McDandy
Truss looks like Graham Norton, while Leadsom looks like a character actor who's been out of work for the last 15 years.
Timbo, Oblomov liked this

By Boiler
Hezza has the whip withdrawn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48344485
A Tory Party spokesperson said the peer's views on European matters were "longstanding and sincerely held".

But he added that endorsing another party was "not compatible with taking the Tory whip".

"As a result, the Chief Whip in the House of Lords has informed Lord Heseltine that he will have the Conservative whip suspended. This will be reviewed if he is willing to support Conservative candidates at future elections," the spokesperson said.
By satnav
If the Tories are removing the whip from Hezza for suggesting he will vote Lib Dem surely they should take action against the Conservative leader of Derbyshire County Council Barry Lewis who said that Tories in Derbyshire would not campaign in the EU elections. By not taking part the Tories have basically given Farage and the Brexit party a free ride in the area.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

https://twitter.com/john3ners/status/1186748275686[…]

Hammond has got reselected anyway. Same with Ann[…]

@Timbo gonnae pm me the creds?

Richard Littlejohn

:lol: