Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 58.5 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 10.6 % 😯 1.4 % :grinning: 20.4 % 🙏 0.7 % 😟 3.5 % :cry: 2.1 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Bolton fucking terrifies me because he just wants a fight. He’s a thug who now has the ear of a dimwitted bully who wants to make history.

I’m sure Corbyn will be against any Iran adventure, and rightly so (with the caveat he’d be against it regardless of circumstances because that’s just his automatic position). But that - and what Blair did in Iraq - don’t mean I’ll vote Labour in the Euro elections because Labour’s stance on Brexit will harm this country, Europe and our relations with the world for generations and hand a win to people like Putin and Farage.

None of these positions are mutually exclusive.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:01 pm
Bolton fucking terrifies me because he just wants a fight. He’s a thug who now has the ear of a dimwitted bully who wants to make history.

I’m sure Corbyn will be against any Iran adventure, and rightly so (with the caveat he’d be against it regardless of circumstances because that’s just his automatic position). But that - and what Blair did in Iraq - don’t mean I’ll vote Labour in the Euro elections because Labour’s stance on Brexit will harm this country, Europe and our relations with the world for generations and hand a win to people like Putin and Farage.

None of these positions are mutually exclusive.
Regarding Iran, the thing to watch will be the Tory leadership hopefuls.
* How much Boltonina bullshit they regurgitate.
* Which ones sign up unreservedly for war.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
You reap what you sow.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... o-lib-dems
Senior Labour figures were engaged in a desperate battle to shore up the party’s support on Saturday night, amid warnings that its stance on Brexit was helping to “detoxify the Lib Dems”.

With just days left before the European elections at which Nigel Farage’s Brexit party is expected to triumph, shadow cabinet ministers are among those concerned that Labour’s ambiguous position on Brexit has helped revive the Lib Dems. It comes as new polling seen by the Observer suggests Vince Cable’s party is running in first place in London and could even beat Labour overall.

One senior party figure warned: “If the consequence of Labour’s Brexit position and this European election is to essentially detoxify the Lib Dems, then that’s a real problem.” Clive Lewis, a shadow Treasury minister, said “lifelong Labour voters” would not back the party this week due to its Brexit stance. He added: “It feels like we’ve given [the Lib Dems] the political equivalent of resuscitation.”

By Boiler
Rather than start a new thread, I thought this link about the forthcoming Peterborough by-election would be best here as it was a former Labour MP that kicked this off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48218957

Fifteen candidates. This caught my eye in the Beeb piece:
A Lib Dem spokesman said the parties understood "the need for a collective effort in securing a People's Vote and stopping Brexit" but moves to back an independent candidate had not been successful.

The candidate they had planned to back, Femi Oluwole, told the BBC he had pulled out over concerns his candidacy would hand victory to the Brexit Party and ultimately harm the campaign for another referendum.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:33 am
Meanwhile, the do-nothing fence sitter spekes his bRanes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -remainers
We’re not defining people by 2016...but we are saying the 2016 result is fixed in stone despite all the corruption and the change in heart of the public every poll shows. Oh, and if you vote for us we’ll count it as endorsement of our plan to leave.

Jesus wept. Attempt to appeal to all, end up appealing to none. And when told by the voters it isn’t working, double down.
Timbo, oboogie liked this

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:28 pm
I am less interested in what people said about the Iraq War then what they will say about the imminent Iran war.
Looking forward to hearing Corbyn trying to perform the mental somersaults when us doing Brexit means we have to cling to the US, which will include invading Iran because we won't have a choice.

By bluebellnutter
Interesting the Brexit Party vote drops, so there is a part of that which is in the "just sort it out" camp which Labour could bring over to their camp, it wouldn't just be Remain parties losing out.

By Arrowhead
Apparently, Labour's policy re a confirmatory referendum is now "as clear as day", claims mace-bothering Brighton Kemptown MP Lloyd Russell-Moyle. And just to prove it, Russell shares some wobbly footage of Corbyn taken with his iPhone.

If it's as clear as day, why the fuck didn't their manifesto state it without a load of caveats and provisos?

By-Elections

The Tories have re-selected Chris Davis to stand[…]

The sad faces of wronged Mail readers

Well, he's deleted it now. Which is what I would d[…]

Boris Johnson

They're Tories. If it means the survival of their […]

Toby Young

Toby was on GMB this morning defending Boris, my s[…]