Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 37 % ❤ 3.7 % :thumbsup: 9.3 % :grinning: 44.4 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 3.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By The Rationalist
Membership Days
Big Arnold wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pm
Rees-Mogg, the MP for North East Somerset and chair of the European Research Group (ERG), reportedly spent about 300 hours writing the work, for which he has so far received £12,500 from Penguin Random House.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ed-britain

I'm not an author, but 300 hours strikes me as a ridiculously short time for any book about history.
I'm reminded of a story about Jeffrey Archer and the hypotheses that if you give an infinite amount of monkeys an infinite amount of time and an infinite number of typewriters, then eventually they will come up with the complete works of Shakespeare.

"And how many monkeys did you use Mr Archer? Just the one?"

I used to work for Penguin Books in an earlier life and £12,500 is a piss poor advance for a "celebrity" author!

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Forty quid an hour. Just try to get Pavel or Tomasc to unblock the bog for that.

But of course, it was not about the money. It was all intended to garner a bouquet of simpering reviews and his elevation to the position of a statesman of proven gravitas.

Just like his engineering of a VoC in May, things have not proven to be quite as easy as he thought. From rising stock to laughing stock in a few brief months.
Boiler liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
The Rationalist wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:28 pm
Big Arnold wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pm
Rees-Mogg, the MP for North East Somerset and chair of the European Research Group (ERG), reportedly spent about 300 hours writing the work, for which he has so far received £12,500 from Penguin Random House.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ed-britain

I'm not an author, but 300 hours strikes me as a ridiculously short time for any book about history.
I'm reminded of a story about Jeffrey Archer and the hypotheses that if you give an infinite amount of monkeys an infinite amount of time and an infinite number of typewriters, then eventually they will come up with the complete works of Shakespeare.

"And how many monkeys did you use Mr Archer? Just the one?"

I used to work for Penguin Books in an earlier life and £12,500 is a piss poor advance for a "celebrity" author!
Mogg's not a proper sleb like, for example, Joey Essex.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am
Jacob Rees-Mogg and A. N. Wilson discussing his book (almost) on the Today programme this morning, around half past eight.

I dare you to listen to it, I double dare you...
I did. Fair to say that Martha Kearney lost control slightly (or just let them get on with it).

Andrew Wilson is nearly as big a wanker as Rees-Mogg, and they really deserve each other. Fair to say the item was somewhat esoteric listening (who gives a fuck about Napier?). Would have been better to have greased them both up and put 'em in the wresting ring.

By Boiler
Abernathy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:35 am
Boiler wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am
Jacob Rees-Mogg and A. N. Wilson discussing his book (almost) on the Today programme this morning, around half past eight.

I dare you to listen to it, I double dare you...
I did. Fair to say that Martha Kearney lost control slightly (or just let them get on with it).

Andrew Wilson is nearly as big a wanker as Rees-Mogg, and they really deserve each other. Fair to say the item was somewhat esoteric listening (who gives a fuck about Napier?). Would have been better to have greased them both up and put 'em in the wresting ring.
Swarfega. The gritted stuff.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
The Victorians by Jacob Rees-Mogg, review: this clichéd, lazy history often reads like it was written by a baboon
If even the Telegraph thinks his book is crap......

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what- ... ory-often/
2019 General Election

I don't know if its just wishful thinking, or just[…]

Richard Littlejohn

I see Anna Chancellor had landed the role of Veten[…]

Piers Morgan

Best Piers: Southend, Brighton, Llandudno. Worst […]

The Sun

The Sun appear to believe Harry and Meghan flying […]