•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
This is just appalling, the whole vote denial thing.

Let's just for a moment consider that I am not usually labelled a conspiracy theorist and that the whole machine and momentum behind Cambridge Analytica is/was a finely tuned operation that happened in plain view and at a granular level.

Anyway.

A full and exhaustive investigation in to every aspect of this election needs to be undertaken.

Who stuffed ballot papers with Brexit Party literature?
Who was holding the Solomonic sword over decisions as to whether to include EU citz on the electoral roll?
Who decided to use post-boys in white tights to distribute postal ballot papers in the r27?
Who took a red pen to EU citz' names on already approved lists, having possibly and without reason matched them back to background nationality data and lists?
Why was the phrase "Go and vote in your own country" heard, allegedly, the length and breadth of the country?

This whole thing stinks to high heaven and suggestions are already emerging that the UK is turning in to a fully-fledged Banana Monarchy.

Even if the worst does come to the worst, which nation in its own mind would do one of these much-vaunted trade deals with a country that has so many questions to answer?
lord_kobel, Timbo, davidjay and 1 others liked this

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:53 pm
Cyclist wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:47 pm
Well, that's the first time I've ever voted Green.
Same here.

Tommy Robinson was at the bottom of my ballot paper. I was tempted to write "is a cunt" under his name but didn't want to spoil the paper.
I don't think that would have been a problem. The only requirement is that it's clear who you were voting for.
A TORY councillor’s re-election by just one vote sparked uproar after a ballot paper marked with the word “Brexit” was counted as a vote for the Conservatives.

It was written with a big arrow pointing to Stephen Hirst’s name so was counted in his favour.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9001017/t ... -his-name/

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
@Kreuzberger
Just this. I was having this conversation with Mrs A just a minute ago, having read the Twitter feed.

This is too widespread to be accident or coincidence.
There are too many similarities in widespread locations.
This is the 'hostile environment' in action.
It is enabled by inaction, which therefore becomes action, which is discriminatory.

I hope legal consequences ensue, but given tha supine nature of the Electoral Commission, the active hostility of HMG and the Home Office in particular and the squalid subservience (or active support) of the press I won't hold my breath.
Timbo, Kreuzberger, oboogie liked this

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
This, thankfully, goes way beyond the blue stockings of the Electoral Commission.

The UK has proven itself, beyond doubt, to be a bad-faith actor in the withdrawal negotiations. Judicial reviews, notwithstanding, might point to a smoking gun which proves that the coup is in full flight.

By Malcolm Armsteen
If it is a concerted action - I draw the line at calling it a conspiracy - it means that many fellow-travellers of the xenophobic, Faragist wing have acted, if not in co-ordination, then in common.

Which would be a sort of coup. But would also be a hideous window into what this country has become.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Not looking good for Labour according to this party member on the ground
In Cambridge we have been trounced. The lib dems are miles ahead in every box in every ward with the greens respectable seconds in most places. Our vote isn't just down - it has _disappeared_. Like less than one in 30. We are absolutely fucked.

By davidjay
How can eu citizens vote ? That's a conflict of interest. If they vote here then I want to vote in their elections and I'll vote for more immigration into Germany and Spain and more money given to the UK.
You shouldn't be voting in the UK unless you're a British citizen. EU citizens should be voting in their own countries. This is not your home country.
I do not want foreigners voting in Uk elections, biased will show. Also ex pats they are biased and should not vote on UK future when they live abroad.
No offence but why would non British passport holders in U.K be allowed to vote . Want to vote become British.
I got too depressed after that.

By Malcolm Armsteen
And I suspect that level of stupidity has been reflected in council offices across the nation...

By Arrowhead
youngian wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 pm
In Cambridge we have been trounced. The lib dems are miles ahead in every box in every ward with the greens respectable seconds in most places. Our vote isn't just down - it has _disappeared_. Like less than one in 30. We are absolutely fucked.
My initial reaction to this news of a possible Labour meltdown was “Good!”, which I have to say is a very strange sensation indeed. The first - and I sincerely hope the only - time where I have found myself rooting for one of Labour’s primary political opponents.

I certainly don’t wish for this to become a permanent thing, but Labour badly need an enormous kick up the arse in these elections. Will the leadership finally listen now?

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Arrowhead wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:43 pm
youngian wrote:
My initial reaction to this news of a possible Labour meltdown was “Good!”, which I have to say is a very strange sensation indeed. The first - and I sincerely hope the only - time where I have found myself rooting for one of Labour’s primary political opponents.

I certainly don’t wish for this to become a permanent thing, but Labour badly need an enormous kick up the arse in these elections. Will the leadership finally listen now?
Me too and I'm a Labour member.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
How do they know what the rough tallies in every box are? I though the ballot boxes were only opened on Sunday night or Monday morning. Only things I can think of are either exit polling or are the boxes being opened already to validate ballots but not start vote counting until Monday.

By davidjay
Arrowhead wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:43 pm
youngian wrote:

(Opinion) polls don't mean anything.

By AOB
I'm disappointed that the only two leaflets I received during the run-up to this vote were from UKIP and The Brexit Party. I've no idea if this was a similar situation throughout the UK, it would be a concern if it was. So many casual voters would have no idea of which parties were pro-Remain. We here on MW keep our eye on politics to varying degrees and are aware, but it's easy to understand that so many people out there would have no idea whatsoever that the Lib Dems and Greens are Remainers. The Brexit Party are self-explanatory, UKIP likewise, so a lack of PR from LD & Greens may cost them votes to Labour largely. Greens in particular have a momentum going at present, built up in no small way due to climate and environmental issues in the news, it's a shame they don't shout a bit louder and put themselves out there more, especially with regards to the EU.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

But at least he’s not a Brexiter. God, those[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

If Corbyn did cross the line he'd be the first PM […]

Mark Francois MP

Just had a look at his Wiki page. A stint at Lloyd[…]

Boris Johnson

Wouldn't it be good if newspapers had an imposed p[…]