Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 43.9 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 6.8 % 😯 3.5 % :grinning: 35 % 🧥 0.5 % 🙏 1.4 % 😟 2.6 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Jacob Rees-Mogg explains why Malta has 15 times more influence than Britain in EU Council
Mr Rees-Mogg said: "Decision making in the Council of Minister is now almost entirely made by qualified majority voting, and I thought you would be interested to know that the UK has 29 votes in this system compared to Malta that has 3.

"That means per head per Maltese population, they have 15 times more influence in the Council of Ministers, ladies and gentlemen, than you do.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11391 ... -malta-spt

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Big Arnold wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm
Jacob Rees-Mogg explains why Malta has 15 times more influence than Britain in EU Council
Mr Rees-Mogg said: "Decision making in the Council of Minister is now almost entirely made by qualified majority voting, and I thought you would be interested to know that the UK has 29 votes in this system compared to Malta that has 3.

"That means per head per Maltese population, they have 15 times more influence in the Council of Ministers, ladies and gentlemen, than you do.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11391 ... -malta-spt

I thought you would be interested ...

By youngian
Membership Days Posts

Does anyone know what he is talking about?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:48 am

Does anyone know what he is talking about?
Yes. Malta has a population of 461,000 and has three representatives, roughly one per 150,000 people. The UK has a population of 66 million and 20 representatives, or one per 2.3 million, roughly. That means that Maltesers are 'better' represented by a factor of about 14, if you look at things in a simplistic manner. It's the Rhode Island issue. Rhode Island is theoretically over-represented in Congress because they have two senators (the same as every other state) and one representative, because of population size. Compared to the ratio in, say California they shouldn't have even one, but that would be a serious blow to their democratic rights, so they get one anyway.

Though I'm a bit confused. The Council of Ministers has 28 members, and does not have representatives as such, so 'm not sure where his numbers come from. I think he may be talking about the Council of Europe, whiich is not an EU body. Or he may just be making shit up.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Though I'm a bit confused. The Council of Ministers has 28 members, and does not have representatives as such, so 'm not sure where his numbers come from. I think he may be talking about the Council of Europe, whiich is not an EU body. Or he may just be making shit up.

Or he’s muddling up the EU Council (of ministers) with MEPs whose numbers are roughly weighted by population (UK has more MEPs than Malta)

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Posted on another forum about the Peterborough by election.
Surely the big takeaway here is that at a time when it's not a euro-election or another type of 'this doesn't count, so much' election, Labour won in a 60-40 Leave area against a resurgent Brexit Party when the entire reason for the by-election was because of criminality of the previous Labour candidate. I mean, this should have been a gimme for Farage. Labour shouldn't have come close, as the 40% who voted remain should have fucked off, but 60% of them stuck with Labour. This is perfect territory for the Lib Dems, and they were fucking miles away.

This says that when presented with meaningful important choices about the future government of the UK, voters know that Farage is a cunt, and the Tories are fucked. Labour's promise has always been that once the GE is called, the momentum-driven ground game will sweep much before it. This seems to be holding up as the single most important truth in this whole thing; the Labour Party's strategy and tactics seem to be holding up. Labour are holding their nerve whilst others (myself included) have been losing theirs.

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
So it seems there were no less than EIGHT Labour MP's who decided to vote with the Tories this afternoon and thereby help defeat the plan to outlaw a No Deal outcome. Namely: Kevin Barron, Ronnie Campbell, Jim Fitzpatrick, Caroline Flint, Stephen Hepburn, Kate Hoey, John Mann and Graham Stringer. Brexit Fuckwits, each and every one of them, and thereby fully deserving of their inclusion on this thread.

I'm just relieved that Dennis "National Treasure" Skinner saw sense on this occasion.

There will probably be another attempt at a similar vote much closer to the deadline, sometime in October presumably. Even these eight planks wouldn't be so stupid to repeat the act, surely?

By Boiler
Arrowhead wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:28 pm
There will probably be another attempt at a similar vote much closer to the deadline, sometime in October presumably. Even these eight planks wouldn't be so stupid to repeat the act, surely?
You really need an answer to that?
Labour, Generally.

I've just seen a picture of Jon Lansman on Fento[…]

Mark Francois MP

Probably as a spud-basher in the NAAFI.

The Sun

I wouldn't even trust that. I'd have to check the […]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Doctor Who is mostly a right load of old pish, t[…]