Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 20.7 % :thumbsup: 10.3 % 😯 6.9 % :grinning: 55.2 % 😟 3.4 % :cry: 3.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
So, watching a hobbit film, but as far as I can tell from running commentaries, they're all out-twatting each other.

And then Johnson walks up the middle as "not one of them".
Rory Stewart coming across as intelligent and largely reasonable. Having looked at his voting record, he strikes me as the Mike Pence of the group - smart enough to actually be dangerous.

But being eloquent and reasonable on the surface isn't likely to get him any votes with the electorate he's facing.
Timbo liked this
KevS wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 pm
Someone has just pointed out to me that Channel 4 could have asked HIGNFY to get the Tub of Lard out of cold storage.
Ahem

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4006&p=577954&hilit=Lard#p577954
Samanfur wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:37 pm
Rory Stewart coming across as intelligent and largely reasonable. Having looked at his voting record, he strikes me as the Mike Pence of the group - smart enough to actually be dangerous.

But being eloquent and reasonable on the surface isn't likely to get him any votes with the electorate he's facing.
He's got the same record as the rest of the frontbench, hasn't he? Pence is an idiot, no better than Trump.
Big Arnold wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:46 pm
KevS wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 pm
Someone has just pointed out to me that Channel 4 could have asked HIGNFY to get the Tub of Lard out of cold storage.
Ahem

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4006&p=577954&hilit=Lard#p577954
Ah. Erm.

*Runs finger under suddenly too tight collar*
Silence is golden as Boris's lectern wins Tory televised debate
John Crace

Rory Stewart’s calculated weakness played to viewers at home, but the elephant in the room won the day
Curiously, everyone but Jeremy Hunt chose to ignore the fact that the odds-on favourite to become the next prime minister was otherwise engaged. And he only appeared to notice about halfway through with a slightly embarrassed, ‘Where’s Boris?’ It was as if someone had shat themselves and everyone was too polite to mention it. Which, come to think of it, was more or less exactly what had happened.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... sed-debate
Samanfur wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Stewart is not even a soft Brexiter and fetishizes austerity economics as good old fashioned Tory house keeping. But he just doesn’t come across as a dimwit or a fanatic. Or both in Raab’s case who is the Ted Cruz of the race; probably even more repellent than the front runner.
In case we've forgotten.
As a matter of constitutional propriety, May will only be able to resign as prime minister if she can tell the Queen that her successor commands a majority. A Downing Street spokesman said May would resign when “she says to the Queen that she is stepping aside and believes that someone else can command the confidence of the house”. Her spokesman said a vote does not need to take place for May to believe that the new leader has the confidence of the Commons.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dence-vote

What if the Queen thinks May is wrong to believe that? We're worryingly near the Queen having to abandon her purely ceremonial role.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

So much of Brexit stuff seems to be an odd take on[…]

The LibDems, generally

Spotted this elsewhere. Warning: contains Piers Mo[…]

GE 2020

The deluded fuckwit still thinks there's such a […]

David Cameron

Compassionate conservatism: putting professionals […]