:sunglasses: 50 % :grinning: 50 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
And yet my local greetings card shop is selling small aluminium credit card holders to act as Faraday cages for cards. Thing is... all mine are kept together. Any reader gets very confused in that case.

The one thing I would resist are the 'keys' for cars, which seem to make the cars very easy to steal from your house.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Terrorism 2018: Al Qaeda uses Google Maps to plan a terrorist attack in new propaganda video that features a former Guantanamo prisoner
DailyMail has reached out to Google for comments on their service being used for the planning of terrorist attacks.
As if there weren't paper maps before Google.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... video.html
It's taken them quite a long time to catch on, as it usually does with the Mail, but they've just discovered Deliveroo and are not happy.

Deliveroo ticks the boxes when it comes to the Mail deciding it's a Very Bad Thing. It's (relatively) new and it's popular. That's basically it.

Like many of the topics covered in this thread, it's not really about whether you personally like or dislike something. It's this fucking weird attitude the Mail have that if they don't personally like something then it's a bad thing, no matter how many people personally find it convenient or useful, and it must be stopped right now.

Plus, the Mail and Mailites suddenly pretend to care about the environment when it suits their inane bugbears.

How lazy must you be to have toast, fish fingers and even a cup of tea delivered to your door: Amazingly some people do, using apps like Deliveroo – and as our writer found, it’s not just the absurd cost that leaves a nasty taste
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food ... -door.html

Bunny Gurl, Brummy Land, 3 hours ago
I thought ready meals were bad enough, due to all the additives and plastic packaging, but the toll on the environment of this delivery culture is devastating. The utter laziness and culinary cluelessness of the takeaway generation will take another generation to reverse, if it even can be.
+514 -14
verydowntoearth, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
Words fail me
+397 -5
Popeyed, Edinburgh, 3 hours ago
I have never ordered in food from these delivery companies, I make my own from scratch. In the distant past (when we had kids) we used to order in an Indian curry but I prefer to eat in the restaurant and leave them with the dishes. This trend of getting someone else to do the cooking is just lazy.
+221 -19
Tors, Glasgow, 4 hours ago
Our neighbours have these types of deliveries 5 or 6 times a week. There is a steady stream of delivery drivers day after day. Also in the afternoon. I can't say I have seen them in the morning though. I don't know how people afford it. It can't be healthy at all... mind you our neighbours aren't exactly slim.
+137 -4
Sylviane47, Stevenage, 4 hours ago
Feel really for these poor people who are soooo busy they do not have time to do anything. But they do have time to be on their phone and ipad. We need to teach the new generation how to do things properly and quickly and help them save a lot of money.
+108 -5
"I like to go to a restaurant and leave the washing up to the staff there, but can't stand people not cooking for themselves"

"I enjoy spying on my neighbours"

"Quite a few of the drivers are a bit brown, can't be having that!"

"I can't understand the existence of the food service industry, ooh look, Sarah Vine on the royal banquet!"

My God, the stupid is strong.
They've done this before. It's the Self Service Checkout saga.

Mum regards this as a frightening and stealthy technological take over that is threatening to rob her, and millions of elderly people like her, of their last vestiges of independence.

She says: ‘And when I’ve done my shopping I wheel my trolley to a nice sales assistant at a till who asks me how I am and how my grandchildren are, and sits there without complaint as I shuffle through dozens of debit cards until I find one that actually works.
What about the poor sods queuing up behind you? :lol:

Bewildered OAP in the bagging area: It's maddening having to pay for everything using a computer, but as FRANCES HARDY and her 92-year-old mum discovered, it's a curse for the elderly
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... derly.html

conatang, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, 9 hours ago
At work they are trying to make everything technical. It's all about the mi. I have about 8 passwords to get into different systems my head is battered. I'm 49
+2925 -74
Lars Gonaards, Chester, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
I'm not an OAP but I hate the automation the world is forcing on me.
+69 -0
Etolie, Derby, United Kingdom, 28 minutes ago
Good article, and very true. The elderly are being forced to do everything online against their wishes. A lot are simply not able to do it and are wide open to financial abuse.
+58 -1
Trooper82, Manchester, United Kingdom, 38 minutes ago
My dads 81 now and he struggles a lot with technology when shopping and travelling. He said it's the world out pacing the old and he gets frustrated and fed up trying to keep up.
+48 -0

triangular, Iincoln, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
Im in my 40's and I've never done the scan food as you go round the shop. I don't want to be followed by a person or camera while I shop or have a feeling I am. I prefer the checkouts where someone else scans. . And I saw a woman scan one item and put two in so did she get caught? I don't know
+30 -0
No. Because you just made that up.
I don't like the self scans much either.
Not keen on their impersonal nature, but there are worse things.

Being about 8 inches taller than the users they're designed for with a dodgy back.
Trying to hear what your one is saying through the cacophony of 7 others all commentating away.
Almost always having to "Wait for a member of staff to provide assistance", some poor overworked lady who has to dash about pressing reset buttons.

I do use them occasionally, when I have a load of spare change to get rid of.

I suppose my point is that modern technology is good for some things and woefully shit for others.
It's best when the consumer has a choice.
I haven't used manned checkouts at supermarkets for a few years now. Self service every time and the vast majority of the time it's completely hassle free with the only time I need assistance is age verification.

That said, choice is the key and in this particular article she's referring to a Sainsburys where you can only use self services. Now, I agree this is a problem if it's true. There should probably always been some manned checkouts for people who prefer to use them.

One extremely patronising and common theme with the Daily Mail and technology articles, though. is their attitude of:

Old = Can't learn how to use it. It's all too complicated for them.

That just isn't true. Being of a certain age does not suddenly make it impossible for you to learn something new and embrace change and technology. I have no doubt that in many cases, Mailites especially, it isn't a case of being unable to learn. It's a case of stubbornly refusing change. They manage to get themselves onto the internet and post vile and racist comments all day long so my sympathy for their plight with self service checkouts is somewhat limited.
Boiler liked this
Every now and again the papers will run an article in which a reporter gets made up as an old person and goes out into the big scary wide world to manage as best they can.

The "old person" is always a Mrs Brady stereotype, in woolly hat, big coat, doddering along. Acting technically clueless, forgetful, physically weak. At no point acting like an actual pensioner, rather an outdated idea of one. As one letter to the Times (after they ran this stunt) put it, if you want to know how a pensioner handles the modern world, try asking some.
Just an illustration of why I find myself being possibly less sympathetic than I could be when reading these articles.

Dave, from Sandbanks (formerly the Caribbean, don't you know) is the sort of struggling OAP the Daily Mail tells us we should feel sorry for.

Dave, Sandbanks formerly Caribbean, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
I have to manage on a basic pension, I have poor eyesight and sever arthritis in my fingers but am required to spend several hundred pounds to buy a smart phone. I am then required to spend a further few hundred for data each year in order to carry out basic transactions.
+530 -19

Then you take a look at some of his previous posts:

Dave, Sandbanks formerly Caribbean, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
Presumably it will soon be considered offensive for anybody to drive a vehicle of any colour other than that of their skin.

So, yeah. Dave and his poor eyesight and sever arthritis can fuck off.
The LibDems, generally

Interesting. Never take Twitter at face value woul[…]

David Cameron

Hamface has known Johnson and Gove for long enou[…]

Boris Johnson

I believe the phrase is "winning at all cost[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Oh, I can sense the foam around the mouths of news[…]