Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 62.6 % ❤ 1.3 % :thumbsup: 5.2 % 😯 1 % :grinning: 21 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 2 % 😟 1.6 % :cry: 2.6 % :shit: 1.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Not a bad review by James O'Brien of what seems to be quite an interesting book about the historical origins of today's Cult :

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/publ ... -or-power/
It is an analysis that encompasses Benn and then the Militant Tendency (its most prominent members, Dave Nellist and Terry Fields, were also part of the class of 83) and leads, almost inexorably, to a cultish Corbyn following currently directing so much fire at “centrists” and “Blairites” in their own party that a Tory government of perhaps unprecedented weakness and ineptitude remains, it often seems, largely unopposed.
oboogie liked this

By bluebellnutter
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:30 am
I got briefly swept up by his Glastonbury appearance. Seeing all the young people chanting his name and their genuine belief in him made me think something could really be happening here. How wrong I was.
The opportunity was there in the palm of his hands. But a mixture of post-2017 hubris, a refusal to let go of outdated dogma (Brexit) and appointing / trusting the wrong (Seamus Milne) mean he has totally blown it, and the chances of him ever getting it back are slim. If the new Lib Dem leader can make a "clean break" from their past and market themselves properly they could make absolute hay.
Abernathy, Oblomov, oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
If the new Lib Dem leader can make a "clean break" from their past and market themselves properly they could make absolute hay.

Interesting to note Jo Swinson has vastly more ministerial experience than Corbyn despite entering the Commons seven years before she was born. Unfortunately its experience that won’t impress Labour voters. It remains to be seen if LDs can sustain their poll boost.

By crabcakes_windermere
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
I got briefly swept up by his Glastonbury appearance. Seeing all the young people chanting his name and their genuine belief in him made me think something could really be happening here. How wrong I was.
His taking the votes of those young people for granted and then throwing them a bus pass as a token gesture for their being trapped in the UK doing gig economy jobs because there's fuck-all else left is going to come back and haunt him. Or, rather, the party.

By Abernathy
Labour will keep getting thwacked – and rightly so

https://infacts.org/labour-will-keep-ge ... ightly-so/
But what chance is there of Corbyn being brave and bold? He is not a strong leader and he has surrounded himself with a coterie of hardline Brexiters notably Seumas Milne, his director of strategy and communications.

Much more likely Labour will continue to take three baby steps forward and two baby steps backwards. This is a dereliction of duty at a time of national crisis – just when Boris Johnson is about to enter Downing Street and try to rip us out of the EU in the most destructive way.
Corbyn cannot lead. He has not the remotest idea of leadership. It is more obvious than ever it was that electing this incompetent as party leader on the basis of a sort of outbreak of mass fan boy/girl hysteria was the biggest error that the Labour Party has ever made.
lord_kobel, oboogie, davidjay and 2 others liked this

By Oblomov
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:25 pm
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
His taking the votes of those young people for granted and then throwing them a bus pass as a token gesture for their being trapped in the UK doing gig economy jobs because there's fuck-all else left is going to come back and haunt him. Or, rather, the party.
Some of them still seem fond of him if the reaction to my criticisms of Magic Granddad on Reddit are anything to go by.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:24 pm
I'd rather have Jez than Johnson, obviously, but Keir ought to be mindful that quite a lot of the public don't agree with me.

We'll soon be faced with a choice between a hard line Brexiteer and Boris Johnson.
Labour, Generally.

Nandy and Flint are among those calling for Labo[…]

2019 General Election

Interesting tweet I saw suggested that the Labour-[…]

The Trump Presidency

I've always wondered what would have happened if[…]

Peter Hitchens

Hitchens claims that BJ is the new Blair. For so[…]