For other types of media
:sunglasses: 42.9 % :grinning: 42.9 % :cry: 14.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By KevS
Membership Days Posts
#578650
An associate of mine was there, and actually had a question picked but not read out.

Whether it was "Oi, Davis! What the blithering fuck were you thinking of?" or not, I can't say.
Boiler liked this
 
By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
#578673
davidjay wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:46 pm
Winegums wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:28 pm
davidjay wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:23 pm
On what planet, in what context, can James O'Brien be considered right wing?

Railing against anyone on the left who doesn't conform to your idea of socialist purity, giving fascists an easy ride. Which side are you on boy?
Summary of evidence presented so far

For him being right wing:
He voted for a Conservative to be Mayor of London.

For him being left wing:
He makes fun of people on his radio show for having dumb opinions.


If you think he's left wing, just present some evidence of him being left wing.


https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... hievement/







Is that enough?
Thanks for going to the effort of finding these. However, they don't really prove what you think they do. Put simply, attacking characters on the right doesn't make you left wing. There's more than two positions.

I said anti-brexit stuff doesn't constitute left wing, because people other than lefties can oppose brexit. It's the centrist-position de jour to oppose brexit, and is therefore unsurprising that so much of your evidence of O'Brain being "left-wing" is him just railing against brexit.

He is the quintessential smug centrists. He even wrote a book called "How to be Right" for fuck's sake. Here he is smugging off about it



I thought to myself "I bet he admires Rory Stewart" and googled it. Lo and behold


For comparison. Owen Jones is a left-wing journalist. He writes frequently about austerity, inequality, racism, classism. He wrote a book about the demonisation of the working class, not how to epicly own people in arguments.

In summary, O'Brien is a centrist, not left-wing, as far as I can tell from the evidence presented.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578688
Seems to me that for Doctor Shitman, owning the t-shirt is more important than liking the band.

I don't know if he's read O'Brian's book, but it's not simply "how to own thickoes in arguments". Its mostly an exploration of how he's come to have the stance he has, and why. The chapter on fixed odds betting terminals and the deconstruction of "classical liberalism" being a case in point.

Looks like a case of deciding someone's guilty, then scrabbling around for evidence.
lord_kobel liked this
 
By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
#578691
Winegums wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 am
Put simply, attacking characters on the right doesn't make you left wing.
It's still more than corbyn does.

Winegums wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 am
It's the centrist-position de jour to oppose brexit,
Do you want to explain just what definition of "centrist" you're using?

Winegums wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 am
He even wrote a book called "How to be Right" for fuck's sake.
And? What's your point? Should he have called it something like "Common Sense" or "Arguments For Democracy"?

Winegums wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 am
I thought to myself "I bet he admires Rory Stewart" and googled it.
Pointing out that he could beat corbyn isn't "admiring" him, it's just stating a simple fact.

Winegums wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 am
For comparison. Owen Jones is a left-wing journalist.
For comparison. Owen Jones is a massive corbyn cultist. I wonder why you like him so much?

Winegums wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 am
He writes frequently about austerity, inequality, racism, classism.
And O'Brian has talked about those frequently as well. What's your point?
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578699
I know. I'm just proud of thinking the nickname up.

Oh, and for Shitman's benefit, it's not a "centrist position du jour" to oppose Brexit. It's not a passing fad. It's fundamentally the crucial issue facing this country. Continued prosperity tempered with a little pride-swallowing, or suicide with head held high.

Your position on the political spectrum is defined by your outlook and policies. You seem to think it's the other way round. "I am left wing therefore anything I think is left wing by default".
 
By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578707
Things we have learned today:
Making a bit of a joke about your book sales is bad
Pointing out that a popular (not populist) politician would run rings round a useless one means you admire them
Regularly criticising far-right figures isn't relevant (no surprise there)
Spending your life attacking inequality and injustice isn't as important as blindly obeying Grandpa.
 
By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
#578721
You can attack far right characters and be centrist. In fact they love it because it's easy credit to scream "orange man bad" over and over. Centrists are typically neutral or play up a regretful liking of centre right candidates. There's no justification in that tweet, just the statement that Stewart would beat Corbyn. No observation of Stewart's voting record, or anything.

FOBT are bad and I'm glad O'Brien dislikes them, but at the same time this is the sort of technocratic tinkering that centrists love. There's no greater social analysis or commitment to ending inequality, it's just fixing this one technical glitch in an otherwise totally functional society.
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:23 am
I know. I'm just proud of thinking the nickname up.

Oh, and for Dr Winegums' benefit, it's not a "centrist position du jour" to oppose Brexit...


This is literally all centrists stand for. Brexit is the first thing they've had in decades to feel strongly about. Centrists look out the window wistfully remembering the 2012 olympics, the greatest period in our history.

Glad we've gotten back to corbyn and brexit in this thread though. Literally the only two topics anyone in this forum ever fucking talks about. 【OBSESSED】
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578724
Actually I look back to 1997-2001. Mainly because I was balls deep in northern goth totty for most of those 4 years. But yeah, the London Olympics was a nice piece of saying to the world that Cameron and co didn't represent all of us.
 
By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
#578731
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:23 am
I know. I'm just proud of thinking the nickname up.

Oh, and for Shitman's benefit, it's not a "centrist position du jour" to oppose Brexit. It's not a passing fad. It's fundamentally the crucial issue facing this country. Continued prosperity tempered with a little pride-swallowing, or suicide with head held high.

Your position on the political spectrum is defined by your outlook and policies. You seem to think it's the other way round. "I am left wing therefore anything I think is left wing by default".
Dr Nick sees everything in binary terms either you for Corbyn or against him, because of Corbyn's piss poor handling of Brexit many remainers are agianst him therefore Dr Nick is anti-remainer.
 
By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
#578734
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 pm
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:23 am
I know. I'm just proud of thinking the nickname up.

Oh, and for Shitman's benefit, it's not a "centrist position du jour" to oppose Brexit. It's not a passing fad. It's fundamentally the crucial issue facing this country. Continued prosperity tempered with a little pride-swallowing, or suicide with head held high.

Your position on the political spectrum is defined by your outlook and policies. You seem to think it's the other way round. "I am left wing therefore anything I think is left wing by default".
Dr Nick sees everything in binary terms either you for Corbyn or against him, because of Corbyn's piss poor handling of Brexit many remainers are agianst him therefore Dr Nick is anti-remainer.
Glad we've gotten back to corbyn and brexit in this thread though. Literally the only two topics anyone in this forum ever fucking talks about. 【OBSESSED】
 
By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578782
They aren't the only two topics, although as you only ever see what you want to see, it's an understandable mistake.

However, they are the two most popular topics. Now, given that this forum is largely made up of politically aware, largely Labour-sympathetic posters, why do you think that is, bearing in mind that these two are the Labour leader and the biggest political story for seventy years?
 
By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
#578813
davidjay wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:40 am
They aren't the only two topics, although as you only ever see what you want to see, it's an understandable mistake.

However, they are the two most popular topics. Now, given that this forum is largely made up of politically aware, largely Labour-sympathetic posters, why do you think that is, bearing in mind that these two are the Labour leader and the biggest political story for seventy years?
Of course they're big topics, and of course they will command the lion's share of day-to-day discussion, but it's obsessive. In every other political space I'm involved with we discuss brexit, but it isn't all we talk about. This thread is a good example, a clear delineation from brexit and Corbyn, and yet here we are, discussing them again.

The obsession with brexit is a centrist brainspider problem e.g. every time Corbyn tweets some genius replies "YEAH BUT STOP BREXIT #FBPE #WATON", whether or not it's relevant to the topic at hand.
  • 1
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
Liz Truss

I know you're considered to be a bit of an insti[…]

The Tories, Generally

Well, this'll keep the Chiltern Crybaby NIMBYs h[…]

The number of white middle class journos jumping o[…]

The Sun

THE SUN SAYS Us Brits aren’t negotiating wi[…]