•  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:42 pm
davidjay wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:40 am
They aren't the only two topics, although as you only ever see what you want to see, it's an understandable mistake.

However, they are the two most popular topics. Now, given that this forum is largely made up of politically aware, largely Labour-sympathetic posters, why do you think that is, bearing in mind that these two are the Labour leader and the biggest political story for seventy years?
Of course they're big topics, and of course they will command the lion's share of day-to-day discussion, but it's obsessive. In every other political space I'm involved with we discuss brexit, but it isn't all we talk about. This thread is a good example, a clear delineation from brexit and Corbyn, and yet here we are, discussing them again.

The obsession with brexit is a centrist brainspider problem e.g. every time Corbyn tweets some genius replies "YEAH BUT STOP BREXIT #FBPE #WATON", whether or not it's relevant to the topic at hand.
They're not the only topics discussed on here, not by a long way, so if you say they are you're either incredibly stupid or else trying to get a reaction.
By Andy McDandy
Shitman, it's not.

You launch a pointless attack on someone you dont like, demanding evidence that they're left wing (define that how you like) enough for your liking.

We point out his views on a variety of topics, including Corbyn and Brexit. It becomes clear that you dont really know much about the person you're attacking.

You say we're obsessed with Corbyn and Brexit.

I do wonder. I think you've adopted a political position because its trendy, but you really dont know much about it. Yeah, 15 year old kid in a Nirvana t-shirt about sums it up.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:03 pm
You can attack far right characters and be centrist. In fact they love it because it's easy credit to scream "orange man bad" over and over.
Ah, so you're outing yourself as a far right arsehole? You can fuck off from this website then.

By Abernathy
lord_kobel wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:16 pm
Winegums wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:03 pm
You can attack far right characters and be centrist. In fact they love it because it's easy credit to scream "orange man bad" over and over.
Ah, so you're outing yourself as a far right arsehole? You can fuck off from this website then.
A far left arsehole, surely? Anything but a centrist arsehole, god forbid. Gotta get your labels right.

Maybe we should simply agree on arsehole. Or Nirvana T-shirt wearing arsehole.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:15 pm
You launch a pointless attack on someone you dont like, demanding evidence that they're left wing (define that how you like) enough for your liking.

We point out his views on a variety of topics, including Corbyn and Brexit. It becomes clear that you dont really know much about the person you're attacking.

You say we're obsessed with Corbyn and Brexit.

I do wonder. I think you've adopted a political position because its trendy, but you really dont know much about it. Yeah, 15 year old kid in a Nirvana t-shirt about sums it up.
And his views on a variety of topics are profoundly centrist. What exactly do you think makes someone centre vs left wing? What, exactly, are your criteria?

By Oblomov
lord_kobel wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 pm
Winegums wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 pm
What exactly do you think makes someone centre vs left wing? What, exactly, are your criteria?
Yes, I asked you this before and you ignored it. Are you going to answer it now?
@Winegums please respond.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Oblomov wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 pm
lord_kobel wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 pm
Winegums wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 pm
What exactly do you think makes someone centre vs left wing? What, exactly, are your criteria?
Yes, I asked you this before and you ignored it. Are you going to answer it now?
@Winegums please respond.
It's broadly about committal to social liberty and economic equality. However, everyone will espouse such platitudes. Specific examples of a left-wing platform

Health - fully supports NHS. Wants greater investment in NHS, removal of obstructions such as internal market, PFI.

Housing - supports significant council house building projects. Supports legislation limiting # of homes anyone can own (no more professional landlords). Supports better legislation protecting tenants

Jobs - Wants to improve employee rights and strengthen trade unionism

Education - close gap between wealthy and poor. End creeping privatisation of schooling

Justice - ensure timely access to legal system and justice for the accused and victims. Have community policing fully integrated to communities. Destroy the London Met and salt the earth so that nothing can ever grow there again.

Defense - Stop Western imperialism.

These are a handful of views. But even then it's also about how you conduct yourself with in the realpolitik. O'Brain equates Boris and Corbyn in terms of racism. Even if you thought Corbyn was racist (big claim), it's profoundly disingenuous to compare Jeremy "protest apartheid" Corbyn to Boris "picaninny smiles" Johnson. Even people who privately known Johnson say he's a massive fucking racist.

But it's this sort of false equivalence that really marks him easily as a centrist for me. He's never going to pin his colours to the mast with his actual political views, instead he's going to sit in the centre and say "gosh gee I'd love to vote for Labour but I can't with that mad Marxist in power, I guess I'll have to vote Lib Dem. Again.". It's funny how Labour is always just a sliver too left-wing for these genuine left-wingers like O'Brien. If only they'd elect Liz Kendall and run on a business friendly manifesto, then they'd get into power.
Labour, Generally.

A Jewish Voice for Labour genius speaks. https://[…]

And on they go... Prince William and Kate go[…]

The Tories, Generally

The nasty party strikes again. Tory treasurer […]

The Sun

Boris has an opportunity. Let’s hope the re[…]