Discussion of other UK political parties
:sunglasses: 28.7 % ❤ 8 % :thumbsup: 1.1 % :grinning: 29.9 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 27.6 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 1.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
According to a book by Stuart Maconie, it was a conscious decision by the NME to "do Morrissey" after years of fawning. It was in the summer of 1992, when as said, the BNP were beginning to make waves, and the next year would win their first council seat in Tower Hamlets. Racism was on the rise, football hooligans were beginning to surface again (Malmo riots during Euro 1992), and general heightened aggression, manifest in such forms as road rage, was a cause for concern.

That said, Maurice E Smith did give them plenty of ammunition to hoist his petard. And his general conduct since largely reinforces his reputation as a full of himself twat with some very nasty attitudes.
Arrowhead, Oblomov liked this
youngian wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm resigned to the fact that most of my musical and film heroes are unpleasant human beings to save disappointment. But probably not as horrible as Lou Reed.
Reed was politically and socially sound though. Whilst conversationally coming across as cold, brusque even, he was quite a shy man. I think that it is fair to say that he was comfortable with his art and how he made it but that that iconic-status was far more difficult to live with and left him quite baffled.

Morrissey, on the other hand, isn't fit to lace his corsets.
Arrowhead, Watchman, Oblomov liked this
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm
And he's a crap guitarist. Popularly known as Xerox. Duane Allman played the good bits on Layla.
Well, yes. He apparently suffers from a slow hand.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm

And he's a crap guitarist. Popularly known as Xerox. Duane Allman played the good bits on Layla.
A metaphor for his career, that. Starts off quite rocky and interesting, but gets slower, meandering and fucking boring after that, and just seems to go on forever. He hasn't done anything worthwhile since the second Cream record

Considering his contemporaries, he's had quite the run of luck to end up where he did. Had Peter Green not gone a bit mad, or Jeff Beck decided he wanted to make music more than seventy three people would listen to, or Rory G. not faced the battle to get gigs because he wasn't a fucking showband, for example, he'd be a footnote. That's before even considering his biggest stroke of luck, Jimi Hendrix dropping off the perch.

But aye, on topic. He's a horrible bollocks of a man.
He could write songs that resonated with a post-youth generation of a certain period, though. Those who can afford a hundred+ quid a ticket for shows and gobble up the merch like locusts, while thinking that having "Cocaine" on a t-shirt is oh-so edgy.

Dining out on those past glories is miserable but understandable in equal measure. What else are you going to do if you were at a place and time, and don't quite have the polymath qualities to reinvent yourself either within the genre or across other art forms?

Laurie Anderson, David Byrne, Benjamin Zephaniah, the late Leonard Cohen - these are all artists that have defined the modern era and are still an inspiration. I'm sure we can quickly fill up a new thread with people that would also grace suck a list.

But. Clapton, Morrissey, Jagger. This is just cruise ship fodder karaoke which deserves to be dismissed as such.
davidjay wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 am
Am I being particularly stupid tonight? Only that one's gone right over my head.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/peter-g ... twood-mac/
They may not have been the first but Chumbawamba (yes, really) noted that Clapton's rant was even more loathable considering the black music he ripped off for his own gains.
Oblomov wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:03 am
They may not have been the first but Chumbawamba (yes, really) noted that Clapton's rant was even more loathable considering the black music he ripped off for his own gains.
Indeed.
Talking of Yaxley-Lennon.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... orting-ban
Tommy Robinson faces jail again after being found in contempt of court for “aggressively confronting and filming” defendants in a criminal trial and broadcasting the footage on social media.

The former leader of the English Defence League (EDL) – whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon – could be imprisoned for up to two years in relation to the incident in 2018, when he filmed defendants accused of the sexual exploitation of young girls.

The footage, in breach of a reporting ban, was then livestreamed from outside Leeds crown court while the jury was considering its verdict.

Robinson, 36, from Luton, Bedfordshire, had denied any wrongdoing, insisting that he had only referred to information that was already in the public domain.
Jeremy Corbyn.

If he could command a majority in the Commons, I t[…]

MMR Jab

Wakefield fed into an anti-"nanny state"[…]

Jess Phillips

I see that Jess has a new book coming out, called […]

The Sun

Song of the Yellowhammer "A little bit of br[…]