•  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:19 pm
And being one again gloating at workers turned out of their jobs
There' a good thread on this comment here

It gets interesting because in 2010 Aaron voted for David Milliband which makes me suspect that as well as being nasty, he's also talking out of his arse.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Boiler wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:35 pm
Luxury fucking communism. Again.
Whatever the motives for that headline, and I'm going with "self deprecating click bait", it is hard to see beyond the sheer common sense of bringing transportation in to common ownership. We are already part the way there with scooters, pushbikes and cars. The difference being that ultimate ownership currently lies in the hands of private enterprise.

These enterprises are largely loss-making and that, I would contend, is because of their cost per customer acquisition which sees them ship vast amounts of cash on marketing and breaking in to new geographic territories.

Local authorities don't need to create markets. They have the databases already. They own the market and their databases are GDPR-compliant.

The big societal difference will need to be in how these assets are used. Many are currently marketed as a use-it-and-abandon-it resource which, frankly, is creating a lot of resentment in communities to which tourists flock, fiddle with their apps and then leave their bikes or whatever without a second thought.

It is worse with cars. Often, the only obvious parking space is an entrance to an apartment complex - we have those in spades - and some twat has left their highly-branded Mini right where the emergency services could and would need access.

Yes. I believe that this can and should happen but the road to good intentions is paved with hellish hurdles.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts

Sure, it's very bad what the CRS do, and have done for ages. Then again France has a much stronger tradition and (to a point) toleration of protest than we do. Stuff that happens in France wouldn't be allowed to get that far.

But this is the same Macron who tried to raise petrol duty a while ago and got forced to back down by an unholy alliance, right? When Corbyn gets brave enough to propose that, get back to me.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Sure, it's very bad what the CRS do, and have done for ages. Then again France has a much stronger tradition and (to a point) toleration of protest than we do. Stuff that happens in France wouldn't be allowed to get that far.

But this is the same Macron who tried to raise petrol duty a while ago and got forced to back down by an unholy alliance, right? When Corbyn gets brave enough to propose that, get back to me.
and the likes of Bastani were happy to cheer on the gillet jaunes on without realising who they were or stood for.

By Boiler
Posts LikeBB
Found ourselves chatting to a Breton CRS officer yesterday - they were on duty in the 17e as the Mayor of Paris was meeting the Mayor of Jerusalem to inaugurate Jerusalem Square and a goodly few pro-Palestine demonstrators had pitched up.
2019 General Election

Not sure what the possible impact on the election[…]

Boris Johnson

For a fair chunk of the electorate the Prime Minis[…]

Richard Littlejohn

Have you ever met anyone called Atiyah? Me, neith[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

I think it was a terrible idea. And Ed was warned […]