Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 50 % ❤ 4 % :thumbsup: 4 % 😯 2 % :grinning: 22 % 🧥 2 % 😟 2 % :shit: 14 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I think in your example you can still sit down and say "We tried to do X. We couldn't anticipate Y" and leave it to the electorate to decide if your explanation is good enough. Quite frankly I think a spinless, honest answer might even shock them into liking you.
Winegums wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:31 pm
I think in your example you can still sit down and say "We tried to do X. We couldn't anticipate Y" and leave it to the electorate to decide if your explanation is good enough.
And why couldn't you still do that, even without a manifesto?
Winegums wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:31 pm
Quite frankly I think a spinless, honest answer might even shock them into liking you.
Well that's precisely it - it's just I can see the case for moving that bit forward in the process. So instead of saying 'we're going to do this' and then 6 months later saying 'turns out we can't do this, sorry'. You just say 'we're going to try and do this, and if we can't we'll make as much headway as we can', and then 6 months later saying 'we hit problems, but this is what we have done.

Manifestos are absolutely primed to cause scenarios where you overpromise and underdeliver, even with the absolute best intentions. I don't think they necessarily need to go away, but if they were less absolute where all you're really doing by being absolute is setting traps for yourself I really can't see that hurting.
Cryer has been consistently for a people's vote as the best solution out of the impasse for some time and has pushed Labour in that direction, even if he voted leave in 2016. Corbyn has been consistent (ha!) in trying to avoid giving the people the final say while giving out mixed, confusing messages on what Labour would do, up to and including saying it would decide very quickly on what it would stand for if a GE was called.

This is piss poor conspiracy stuff debunked in seconds.
lord_kobel liked this
Quoting Omar Little from the critically lauded HBO drama, The Wire.

I'm not sure of the link between John McDonnell and a a shotgun wielding thug who violently robs drug dealers while whistling "The farmer's in the dell"

Arrowhead liked this
SoulBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:05 pm
Quoting Omar Little from the critically lauded HBO drama, The Wire.

I'm not sure of the link between John McDonnell and a a shotgun wielding thug who violently robs drug dealers while whistling "The farmer's in the dell"

It's part of the macho image that a lot of Corbynistas like project. Like middle class kids who buy gangsta rap they act all hard and tough but will shit themselves at the first sign of trouble.
Arrowhead liked this
SoulBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:05 pm
He may well be a violent shotgun wielding thug, but chances are he still has a more coherent Brexit policy than McDonnell or, indeed, the entire Labour shadow cabinet right now.
Boris Johnson

Post Brexit trade deals. Britain is a sales rep c[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

One might assume such historians might manage to s[…]

The Trump Presidency

A glance at his presser today reveals that he's ta[…]

Labour, Generally.

Somebody suggested Brexit wasn't one of the init[…]