Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 62.6 % ❤ 1.3 % :thumbsup: 5.2 % 😯 1 % :grinning: 21 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 2 % 😟 1.6 % :cry: 2.6 % :shit: 1.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 am
Lots of people BTL seem to think this is diplomatic genius.

Diplomacy was invented by Jeremy Corbyn. This involves giving the same response for 40 years to every crisis he's only been a bystander to.
Escalation risks a deeper conflict, all sides must show restraint.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
To be honest it is refreshing seeing a UK politician not sucking Trumps dick (cf the Tory leadership), nor lusting for a war with Iran which would utterly fucking ruin us.
By visage
Membership Days Posts
Surely a NATO leader who will *always* oppose action will simply encourage other countries to take the piss?

You dont need to be a neoliberal warmonger to see that Iran are a threat, both to the local region and the world at large.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
I've seen a lot of attempt to drill up appetite for a war with Iran, including the US complaining that their spy drones were shot down :roll:

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
visage wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:15 pm
Surely a NATO leader who will *always* oppose action will simply encourage other countries to take the piss?

You dont need to be a neoliberal warmonger to see that Iran are a threat, both to the local region and the world at large.
Well indeed. See also a leader who reckons you sit down with convicted IRA bombers two weeks after the IRA have tried to kill the Prime Minister. Let off some bombs, get a meeting with PM Jez.
oboogie liked this

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Remind me how the troubles ended again? Was it with bombings and army stuff, or something else?

By MisterMuncher
Oh, go on. Tell me. I'm fucking *fascinated*.

I mean, if you're somehow genuinely convinced that the Provisional Wing put the guns up because the MP for Islington told them it was the way forward, and not because P O'Neill decided it was probably a better idea in the long run and had been pretty much planning it from the arse end of the seventies, I've a lovely bridge I could sell you.

It's also a touchingly paternalist and post-colonial take on things to see. Took a good English peacenik to convince those silly Paddies to cut the nonsense, did it?
Boiler, Abernathy, Timbo and 2 others liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Corbyn never has been a peace conciliator but a bag carrier for liberation struggle. Terrorism is the artillery of the oppressed and armed struggle can bring the oppressors to the negotiating table. In other words he supports militarist balance of power politics over international institutionalism (which Corbyn’s dismissed throughout his career as instruments of US imperial expansion).
Timbo, oboogie liked this

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:47 pm
Oh, go on. Tell me. I'm fucking *fascinated*.

I mean, if you're somehow genuinely convinced that the Provisional Wing put the guns up because the MP for Islington told them it was the way forward, and not because P O'Neill decided it was probably a better idea in the long run and had been pretty much planning it from the arse end of the seventies, I've a lovely bridge I could sell you.

It's also a touchingly paternalist and post-colonial take on things to see. Took a good English peacenik to convince those silly Paddies to cut the nonsense, did it?
The point is that the troubles ended with a negotiation, not an assassination.

By bluebellnutter
Winegums wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:03 pm
Remind me how the troubles ended again? Was it with bombings and army stuff, or something else?
It was a combined effort of negotiation on the part of John Major and Tony Blair from the UK side and Bertie Ahern in RoI (with no little assistance from the Clinton Administration) which bought all the sides round the table.

The sort of people who these days are considered evil centrists sorted it out.
lord_kobel, oboogie, Oblomov liked this

If you're thinking of joining the party to ensure […]

Labour, Generally.

I can't help thinking that if Corbyn had provide[…]

HIGNFY

Adverts on BBC1 as the price of keeping BBC2 &am[…]

2019 General Election

Corbyn comes across as weak to many, his tactic[…]