Topics about a single subject's Daily Mail experience
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Esqui
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It comes from both sides. Remember, you don't have a right not to be offended.

I appreciate that you recognise you may have over-reacted, LJB. But I would also give a dirty look to a couple of you who reacted. I'd give reasons, but it should be obvious - patronising remarks (I know I'll regret using that phrase, lest the dogs grab that bone) and what my mum would call backchat (unneccessary comments) in the posts above.

In amongst that, Abernathy did provide some good advice. If you're prone to posts that aren't always clear, take an extra couple of seconds to re-read posts before posting. For those who love correct grammar, you can always become a mod and get the ability to directly correct people's posts!

By Malcolm Armsteen
So you'll be issuing a list of things that are officially acceptable and we mustn't mention them? Or maybe a list of things we can mention?

I look forward to it.
By Esqui
There's far more to it than just the words. Context is a major part here. There's nothing wrong with saying "Perfectly happy. Thank you for asking." on the forum, but saying it in the same context as oboogie did earlier is, in my opinion unnecessary. Will I censure him for it? No. Will I delete it? No. Because I don't think it was bad enough to warrant that. It was (to me), for want of a better phrase, ill-advised.

Equally, me saying "That was unnecessary" is nowhere near the same as me saying "This is now forbidden". I'm not banning anyone from saying anything, I'm just saying that in order to keep the discussion going well, sometimes it might be worth holding one's tongue on occasion. It's a suggestion, and one that I hope most reasonable people would take on board. If anyone feels they can't carry on without my dictating what you can and can't say, I can always try and put you on moderated posts.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
I was being civil. Which is more than LJB was, however he had the good grace to apologise for it and I acknowledged the fact. And that, as far as I'm concerned, should have been an end to the matter. You clearly disagree.
By Fozzy
But I think most people do hold their tongues on most occasions. The board is littered with posts with some pretty dodgy grammar and spelling which goes unchallenged and uncorrected unless it really is difficult to understand, so it's unfair to suggest that people are constantly jumping down others' throats every time an apostrophe is out of place. You have to look no further than today's exchange to see evidence of that.

Like I've said before, it is just basic good manners to try to make your posts intelligible and to avoid some of the more horrible errors which are known to make several people twitch (and lose all sense of what the poster is trying to say) because they jar so much, e.g. the dreaded "could of". Some people (not just here) carry on as if it's some sort of social solecism to ask them to put just a bit of effort into communicating clearly, and I wish I understood why.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Do you know why the mail made a big deal over mmr because of their hostility towards the then Labour government

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/ ... e-analysis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Fozzy
I recently came across something written by Dr Rosemary Leonard, who was the Mail's resident GP at the time of the MMR scare. She thought from the beginning that it was a load of rubbish and that it was glaringly obvious that the research was absolutely crap, even before it came out that Wakefield had a commercial interest in it. She came under massive pressure from the Mail to write stuff following their party line, and, despite taking Dacre's shilling, seems to have been genuinely shocked that their journalists had no interest whatsoever in the fact that it was not only obvious bollocks but dangerous bollocks at that. It does of course lead to the question why she never noticed before, but I suspect that's why she no longer works there. She gets her revenge by recounting the story of an uninoculated girl who got measles and lost her hearing as a result.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Well this is a bit awkward for the Daily Mail.

But don't fear. They'll just pretend they were never involved and blame on social media...obviously.

One leading myth about the MMR vaccine is based on research done by Andrew Wakefield in the 1990s which claimed MMR led to autism.

His results were later found to be fake, and the work was called 'fatally flawed', 'fraudulent' and 'dishonest' by experts in the field.

Yet the Daily Mail kept reporting it even after is was debunked.

Health minister accuses social media giants of failing to crack down on anti-vaxxers as official figures show up to one in four children haven't had both of their MMR jabs

Social media giants have been accused of failing to crack down on anti-vaxxers as official figures show up to one in four children haven't had both of their MMR jabs.

Health minister Jo Churchill said more action needs to be taken to fight 'misinformation' about the safety of vaccines.

One in seven five-year-olds in England may not have had all their routine jabs, Public Health England revealed today.

In London, the figure rises to around one in four children.

All parents urged to check their child's immunisation records – especially those whose children are about to start school.

It follows a spike in measles cases, with 231 cases confirmed in the first quarter of this year.

The MMR vaccine protects against measles, mumps, and rubella.

The first dose is usually given to infants at around one years old. A second dose is given before school, at which point the person is fully protected for life.

The number of Britons vaccinating themselves or their children has steadily declined in recent years.

Ms Churchill said the Government will work alongside social media companies to make sure people have access to enough information to 'help keep their children safe'.

She said immunisation is important in fighting diseases like measles, warning more needs to be done to make sure parents have their children vaccinated.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Ms Churchill said: 'There has been a spike, we've had more than 230 cases of measles in the UK during the first quarter of this year, so we will be strengthening the role of the local immunisation coordinators and making sure that parents have all the information that they need.'

She said the NHS and the Government need to work with social media companies so that 'misinformation is also taken down, and that we give people the correct information that they can help keep their children safe'.

Ms Churchill added: 'I actually think we can go a little harder and make sure they work with us.'

She said: 'We know that vaccinations are an incredibly good way of protecting large numbers of the population.

'And the side-effects of somebody that contracts measles are awful, and it also affects other groups with low immune systems, so people suffering from leukaemia for example.'

Figures released by PHE today estimate that more than 30,000 - around one in 19 - five-year-olds may still need to receive their first dose of MMR.

Around 90,000 in England may still need to receive their second dose of MMR - almost 30,000 of these children are in London.

Not having the MMR jab leaves them significantly more at risk compared to pupils who are fully vaccinated when starting school.

Around 100,000 - one in eight - five-year-olds across England may still need their 4-in-1 pre-school booster that protects against diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus and polio.

Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at PHE, said: 'It's a real concern that so many young children – as many as a quarter of a reception class in some areas - could be starting school without the full protection that the NHS childhood immunisation programme offers for free.

'We're particularly concerned about children being at greater risk of measles. We're continuing to see outbreaks of the disease occurring in communities across the country, many linked to visiting European countries over the summer holidays.

'It's crucial that children have maximum protection as they begin to mix with other children at the start of their school journey.'

Britain was declared 'measles free' by the World Health Organisation in 2016 after a 36-month period with no 'endemic' transmission – meaning the only outbreaks in that time had started abroad and were then passed on.

Since 2016, however, uptake of the MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) jab has fallen each year and the WHO has revoked the country's measles-free status.

Boris Johnson said last night Britain has lost its 'measles-free' status three years after the virus was eliminated in the country.

He pledged a 'decisive' response to tackling the spread of misinformation by the 'antivaxx' movement.

The Prime Minister plans to call a summit with social media companies to discuss how they can stop myths, scare stories and conspiracy theories about vaccines spreading online.

Companies such as Google, Facebook and Twitter have recently been called on to monitor claims vaccines don't work in the same way they do violent or threatening messages.

Others claim the vaccine doesn't work – but after the introduction of MMR by the NHS in 1988, a year in which there were 86,001 cases of measles in England – within 10 years, in 1998, this had dropped to just 3,728 reported.

The figure has fluctuated since, believed to be partly due to the Wakefield scare in the mid-90s.

Cases of measles have soared by 300 per cent worldwide in the last year, with the WHO warning recently that efforts to halt the spread of measles were 'backsliding'.

A lack of access to the vaccine is often the problem in poorer countries.

Measles is a highly contagious viral disease, which can be prevented, that can cause complications including blindness and brain swelling and increase susceptibility to other diseases.

Ms Churchill said the Government is working to make sure there are no shortages of drugs, including measles vaccines, following Brexit.

She said: 'On the measles vaccine, there are buffer stocks in place and I don't see any issue with supply.'

By Daley Mayle
Long after it was debunked they liked to ride two horses and published articles stating that MMR did not cause autism but ending it with a quote from a one-woman anti-MMR pressure group called JABS.

I think they got the idea of balancing an expert's opinion with batshittery from the BBC.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
But don't fear. They'll just pretend they were never involved and blame on social media...obviously.
Their reasons for doing so are self-serving but they do have a point about social media.
By Andy McDandy
Wakefield fed into an anti-"nanny state" mentality, that while certainly fuelled by social media, didn't start there. It was the likes of Peter Hitchens with his constant asking if the Blairs had vaccinated their children (like it was anybody's business) and the default cynics at Private Eye who drove it from the start. Remember that when it started, social media wasn't even a thing.

The "logic" was simple. Government says it's good for you. Government is known for lying. Treat all government with suspicion. Throw in the media's love of fucking narrative, a lone voice speaking out against the system, and yeah, it happened.

Interestingly enough, Wakefield is the most cited author in academic papers. Even though almost every instance is people pointing out that he was wrong and a massive fraud.
The Sun

middle-class, artichoke-chompers They've moved […]

C**t of the day

The RNLI_disgrace hashtag on Twitter is giving me […]

Local journalism at its best

Anyone under the age of forty should have to have […]

An appropriate time to use the term 'virtue signal[…]