Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 33.2 % ❤ 4.8 % :thumbsup: 17.2 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 26.2 % 🧥 2.3 % 🙏 2.8 % 😟 6.8 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Here's a Brexit story even Jez could get some traction out of; Turkish army buys Scunthorpe. Why would a pension fund buy an insolvent steel plant?

The fund owns a large stake in Turkish steel so Scunthorpe was seen as a desirable addition to the portfolio. Probably for its customer list.
Operation Yellowhammer.
Anagram - Orwell Mayhem.

Rt Hon Kwasi Kwarteng, Esq, M.P. was on Sky news and was asked about Yellowhammer and he said it was Project Fear.

We have indeed entered Orwell's mayhem and the days of the Ministry of Truth.
Arrowhead, Timbo liked this
Would I be right in thinking that assuming that in the event of "no deal" on 31/10, does it then become the responsibility of Ireland and the EU to put border controls in place? Because that would really play into Johnson and Cummings's hands - they could just sit back, do nothing and say "look what the terrible EU is doing"?
It would, it would also be the responsibility of the UK if they wanted their WTO scheduled honoured but ultimately there are EU rules in place which mean the border has to go up, none on the UK side.
The Tories are living in this MInford fantasy world in which you have no checks or tariffs on any goods so therefore no need for a border. Luckily the Gammons have trouble understanding Ireland is a sovereign state so are unaware hoardes of Polish plumbers can flood across the border.
Boiler wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 am
So Johnson and Cummings have played a blinder then - it's all the EU's fault if a border appears? This country does seem to be heading into maverick status.
This same idea was being suggested in some "No deal" quarters well before the first 29 March deadline.

The problem is that those whom are propagating such an idea are not as clever as they think they are.

They ignore the fact that is the unilateral action of the UK that has led to this scenario. Not setting up barriers while trying to reverse the burden of their actions doesn't wash the dirt off their hands.

Every border constituency in NI voted for remain by significant margins, and coincidentally also all voted for Sinn Fein in the last General & By Election. If Brexshitters think that they'll convince most people in those areas that it's the EU & the Freestaters that's responsible for any form of "hard" border and has nothing to do with them, they're in for a major shock.

The Irish government, and the EU, will almost certainly be aware of this card trick potentially being played. Expect them to be well prepared to respond to Brexiteer curveballs on the issue, particularly on the issue of "the EU is forcing Ireland to erect a border". I predict that the EU & Ireland will mention about looking to respect international laws, rules and consensus against the backdrop of the UK's government actions.

Schrödinger's Border: Vote "leave" to apparently take back control of immigration whilst simultaneously leave a great fucking big backdoor open by not bothering to man or secure your land border.

Every other non-EU country: "What's that? The British government is allowing everything to cross into Northern Ireland without any tariffs or checks? Get on the phone and tell them that if they won't do the same at their seaports and airports in Britain or shit is going to get real." The result? Good luck trying to get trade deals sorted when either they already have tariff free access to the UK or you flagrantly breach WTO rules and create an international shitstorm.

Then everyone else gets to import tariff free into the UK? Kiss goodbye to most if not all of your primary & secondary work sectors as well as other business sectors reliant on those employed in them. Enjoy throwing millions on to Universal Credit. IDS then gets secretly evacuated out of the country.

Meanwhile, on Capitol Hill, Washington, USA: the folks there aren't stupid (well, most of them are) and Pelosi has already ruled out any post-Brexit UKUSA trade deal if the UK acts to threaten the GFA. And not just Pelosi, a number of Reps & Senators with notable Irish American links have been singing from the same hymn sheet. So, good luck Johnson, your country of birth won't give you what you want, eh?

Potential result? By impressing no one but themselves and their lickspittles, Britain gets looked upon abroad in two ways - either as the boy who's got no friends and faps far too much, or as the deadbeat dad of the international community.
youngian liked this
Something I was pondering; to take the Brexit line of "we're not paying you €/£ 39m" (setting aside the legal argument that it's already committed money), what will be the Brexiteers state of mind when the EU says in response (again setting aside the legal arguments), "OK, we'll stop our contributions to all those UK projects that are reliant on EU funding".
No doubt the twats will say, "but we're British and bulldog sprit will fill the shortfall", little realizing that shortfall will most likely be taken up by spiv's and chances of the Grant Shapp's mould who will be doing no more than ripping of the British taxpayers
Watchman wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:29 am
Something I was pondering; to take the Brexit line of "we're not paying you €/£ 39m" (setting aside the legal argument that it's already committed money), what will be the Brexiteers state of mind when the EU says in response (again setting aside the legal arguments), "OK, we'll stop our contributions to all those UK projects that are reliant on EU funding".
No doubt the twats will say, "but we're British and bulldog sprit will fill the shortfall", little realizing that shortfall will most likely be taken up by spiv's and chances of the Grant Shapp's mould who will be doing no more than ripping of the British taxpayers
From an administrative standpoint, as long as the will and the money are there, it's quite simple to continue funding EU-reliant projects within the UK on a continuity basis. An enormous amount of what we 'pay to Brussels' never actually leaves the UK, it is distributed by the government on the EU's behalf. All that really needs to change is who fills up the big pot at the top of the pyramid.
How credible is

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/178 ... mBFPdE6Aqo

Gordon Brown has said the European Union will next week "withdraw" the current deadline for Brexit and remove any excuse for no-deal on October 31.

The former Labour Prime Minister said his belief was based on talks with EU leaders in recent days.

In particular, he said he understood that France’s President Macron, the prime mover behind the October 31 deadline when it was agreed in April, no longer insisted upon it.

He said President Macron had demanded a six month extension rather than a year to “sound tough” to a domestic audience six weeks before the European elections.

Mr Brown said that although EU leaders could not unilaterally annul the deadline, he now expected them to say they were ready and willing to extend it, adding to the pressure on Boris Johnson to avoid no-deal.

Speaking briefly to the media afterwards, Mr Brown said: “I think they [the EU] will withdraw it [the October 31 deadline]. That’s what I believe they should do and I believe they will do.

“It’s got to be an offer. Under Article 50 it’s by agreement.”

He also said he believed there would be the required unanimity on the part of the EU27.

“I have been talking to people and I believe that to be the case. In fact, if you look back, about three weeks ago Ursula von der Leyen said she was prepared to do so.

“What I’m saying is there’s meetings next week that may make that offer. I think there’s a meeting of the Commission next week.”

A friend on Facebook wrote:You know how Boris is trying to wangle it so that Parliament won't have time to block a "No Deal" departure before the 31 October deadline set by the EU? Well, what if the EU unilaterally (re)moved the deadline - gave the UK another 6 months? Then it will be clear that "no deal" is all on Boris because he and his crackpot Brexiteer lackeys haven't got any alternative to what's already been agreed.
The Sun

Meanwhile in Scotlandshire... SCOTTISH SUN SAYS […]

The LibDems, generally

If only Jeremy had had the numbers.

Newsnight

Good. Lord knows he needs to relax. Poor craytur.

https://i.redd.it/ssx6vrrymqj31.jpg