Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 32.7 % ❤ 6.8 % :thumbsup: 11.6 % 😯 3.4 % :grinning: 37.4 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 0.7 % 😟 1.4 % :cry: 4.1 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
I can't really see this going down well in the Tory shires either, £15bn of 'their' money being spent to join up two restive provinces when there are still potholes on their lane? Capital spending north of Watford is tantamount to foreign aid to a good chunk of Johnson's base.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
That 15bn figure is just something he pulled out of his arse.

At 34 miles long, the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge cost more than that, and it didn't have to traverse a gazillion tons of WW2 ordnance in 300m of water or deal with the North Atlantic tripping up on the continental shelf.

I have windsurfed in that swell just off Machrihanish and the sky goes out, even in summer.
Timbo liked this

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
If it was some kind of major artery, if the ferries were full every sailing, every day, and demand was growing every day, then maybe it might be worth looking into.

Between airports and bridge planning with no actual output, I find myself wondering exactly how much the civil engineering industry has on Boris, because there has to be a reason he's perpetually chucking money at them.
oboogie liked this

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Why? Vanity. It's as simple as that. "King of the Word" stuff, writ large.

Even if a civil engineering solution could be found, the required motorways at either end would break that "budget" in short order. Frankly, it's just bollocks and a dead cat's bollocks at that.
By Andy McDandy
Do a study, sign a few contracts, declare it unworkable, cancellation consolation prizes to his mates.

It's the no ships shipping company writ large.
Timbo liked this

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 pm
Why? Vanity. It's as simple as that. "King of the Word" stuff, writ large.

Some folks try to multiply
From sunrise to sunset
Leave behind more of their kind
So no-one will forget

(with apols to Level 42)

By Boiler

Johnson - I absolutely refuse to dignify him with 'Boris' - has all the qualities one should find utterly hateful in a person, especially if you are small-c Conservative: a serial liar, a philanderer, has fathered multiple children like someone from a sink estate in Mailworld, is profligate with other peoples' money (bridges, buses, you name it) and yet - and yet - he gets away with it time and time again.

I can only assume that those who've been groomed in the name of Brexit are indeed wilfully blind to this.
spoonman, Projective Unity, Timbo and 1 others liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:42 pm
It would cost more than £15bn, if it's feasible at all. There's very deep water there. As with the failed airport, the point is to look like he's a fresh thinking bold sort of guy.
Ahh yes, the airport, to be built on top of a sunken munitions ship if I remember rightly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -munitions
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Abernathy
It's a common thread - the people who support Brexit and insist even yet on a hard Brexit are people who haven't thought enough about it, whether through an incapability to do so, or a wilful stubbornness , are the same people that love "Good 'ol Boris". He's a right laugh, innee?
Projective Unity liked this

By davidjay
Deep down, they must know he's lying. But it doesn't matter. Whether it's because he's a ledge, or because Brexit, or because he says what we're thinking, or because they believe that for some reason he cares about them, Johnson can say whatever he likes and it's being lapped up. These are dangerous times.
Meanwhile in France

It doesn't get any Frencher than this. Fridays fo[…]

Question Time

Gammon Logic. What the fucking hell has happene[…]

Labour, Generally.

I suppose there is always Lord Buckethead. Al[…]

Mark Francois MP

I assume they don't call him 'Penfold' for nothing[…]