Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 56.1 % ❤ 1.2 % :thumbsup: 11.6 % 😯 1.2 % :grinning: 20.7 % 🧥 0.6 % 🙏 0.6 % 😟 3.7 % :cry: 3 % :shit: 1.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Looks like Tom Watson is toast then (or his role, at least). Not a squeak out of Corbyn. Not a squeak out of all the usual suspects who bitch on about how many people elected Corbyn, given just as many elected Watson.

And these petty, small-minded fucks want to run the country on the basis they have the moral high ground? Jog on.

By Boiler
Purity of ideology first. Because if you were in power, you might actually have to take some decisions about, you know, actually running the country. By keeping the party unelectable you can squabble all you like whilst the corpse of the UK is picked clean by the carrion crows.
mattomac liked this

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Watson appears to a man who can get shit done. No place for that kind of thinking when the goal is to hurl from the ditch* whilst the other side fuck up the country.

*Mildly obscure idiom. A hurler on the ditch is the perpetual old git standing watching the game who can tell every player on the field how they would have done it differently and better. Rarely a decent player,
oboogie, Boiler, spoonman and 2 others liked this

By Boiler
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Looks like Tom Watson is toast then (or his role, at least). Not a squeak out of Corbyn. Not a squeak out of all the usual suspects who bitch on about how many people elected Corbyn, given just as many elected Watson.

And these petty, small-minded fucks want to run the country on the basis they have the moral high ground? Jog on.
Oh, I'm sure there are those who won't be happy until Watson has been deselected, never mind removed from post.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Arrowhead wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:13 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:56 pm
It's a bit more than annoying. It pretty much guarantees that the people who need a left-centre reforming welfare state government won't get one. Perhaps something better will rise like a feasant from the ashes.
Starting again seems the only way forward now. The Labour Party has been destroyed.
I guess the next GE will tell us a lot. Elections tend to galvanise parties, even badly fractured ones as we saw in 2017. It's a straw to clutch at, if nothing else!
Smells of wishful thinking to me.

By Abernathy
Corbyn has woken up (or somebody with sense has whispered in his hairy lughole)......

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-20135778
But following the backlash Mr Corbyn requested that the motion be withdrawn this morning - and it was.

Instead he recommended a review to ensure the leadership team "reflect the diversity of our society", including gender diversity, "increase democratic accountability" and launch the possibility of introducing more posts.
Still a cunt's trick to get shot of Watson, though. Just that somebody must have pointed out the insanity of pushing it on the eve of a pre-election conference. Hooe to fuck we increase the accountability of the old goat while we are at it.
Boiler liked this

By Boiler
I suspect that this:
Instead he recommended a review to ensure the leadership team "reflect the diversity of our society", including gender diversity, "increase democratic accountability" and launch the possibility of introducing more posts.
- will bring back memories in some of that infamous 'Cummings' cartoon of the 80s :roll:

By Malcolm Armsteen
Very interesting piece in the New Statesman by Steven Bush, whom I rate highly.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... 7CFTdblmII
Well, I look at my copy of the Labour rulebook and it tells me two things – that the removal of Labour Students from the party’s structures makes it marginally easier to get a Corbynite candidate on the ballot for the party leadership and to prevent others from reaching it, and that removing the post of deputy leader means that in the event of a vacancy at the top, it cannot be filled by Watson.

That also blocks off the one plausible path I can see to a Corbynsceptic majority on the NEC: as acting leader, Watson would be able to appoint three members of the NEC, which taken with his own vote and the remaining Corbynsceptics on the NEC would produce a narrow Corbynsceptic majority. (Albeit one that wouldn’t be able to agree on anything other than being relieved that Corbyn had gone.)

But I just think: I look at Rebecca Long-Bailey having a pretty good day at the office when she filled in for Corbyn at PMQs. I look at John McDonnell’s recent interviews with the Times and the FT. And I see either Corbyn, or his allies, abandoning all caution to remove a neutered foe whose only relevance will be if there is a vacancy at the top. And I think about the continual rumours that Corbyn is planning his exit, which I have always in the past dismissed as the wishful thinking of Corbynsceptics with no viable way to retake the Labour party.

And I think, could it be that this time, the rumours are true?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Reminds me of a line in an Austin Allegro review (maybe Clarkson, J)

"So gutless it couldn't get out of its own way in a straight line".

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:25 am
Reminds me of a line in an Austin Allegro review (maybe Clarkson, J)

"So gutless it couldn't get out of its own way in a straight line".
Pah. You've clearly never driven a 602cc Citroën Visa.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:59 am
I'd abolish the Deputy Leader post in normal circumstances.
Why?
UKIP

Braine-less - hahahah!

Nigel Farage

I wonder if deep down Nige really wants the UK to […]

Well, that was a pleasant sroll in the sunshine (u[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The @Global moderators could move it into &qu[…]