Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 56.1 % ❤ 1.2 % :thumbsup: 11.6 % 😯 1.2 % :grinning: 20.7 % 🧥 0.6 % 🙏 0.6 % 😟 3.7 % :cry: 3 % :shit: 1.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I had thought the motion was to remove their charitable status and assorted tax breaks. Not bring them into the state system.
Samanfur liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:26 pm
Labour being held back, again, by the dinosaurs of the Trade Union Movement:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... Owm6kRKrQs

So Labour will concede that argument (and the votes it brings) to the Greens and Lib Dems. Nicely done, brothers.
2030 is a bit, well, brave, isn't it? Scotland's current target is 2045 and that was considered bold when announced.

By Tubby Isaacs
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:38 pm
I had thought the motion was to remove their charitable status and assorted tax breaks. Not bring them into the state system.
Endowments, investments and properties held by private schools to be redistributed democratically and fairly across the country’s educational institutions.

By Tubby Isaacs
Brave, I'd say.

As is this:
Ensure universities admit the same proportion of private school students as in the wider population (currently 7%)
How does the percentage look when you adjust for the numbers who get the grades required for the courses? To use the percentage of the general population makes no sense.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Samanfur
As someone who's currently on CLP delegate duty in Brighton, I can confirm that a wall of gammon representing the affiliated organisations - which outweigh us in weighting the votes - is rendering it so that the CLP delegates may as well clock off early and hold a beach party.

We're trying, I promise.
Last edited by Samanfur on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
Our private school system is an enormous source of soft power for this country. Even when I was a boarder in the 90s, my cohort at a minor establishment in Canterbury was made up overwhelmingly of Abacha-era Nigerians, Colonial-era Hong Kongers, quite a few Russians who looked (and drank) like they were in their early 30s, and a good wedge of Indians. Forcing Tarquin and Jocasta into the local comp helps nobody. I'd be happier to see a system where people felt private schooling offered no measurable advantage. This just stinks of wiping out the competition out of pettiness.

By Tubby Isaacs
Timbo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:51 pm
Our private school system is an enormous source of soft power for this country. Even when I was a boarder in the 90s, my cohort at a minor establishment in Canterbury was made up overwhelmingly of Abacha-era Nigerians, Colonial-era Hong Kongers, quite a few Russians who looked (and drank) like they were in their early 30s, and a good wedge of Indians. Forcing Tarquin and Jocasta into the local comp helps nobody. I'd be happier to see a system where people felt private schooling offered no measurable advantage. This just stinks of wiping out the competition out of pettiness.
Does anybody seriously think Boris Johnson would have wound up at a "bog standard comp" anyway?

By Abernathy
Samanfur wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:54 pm
I'm currently sitting in a composite meeting on tomorrow's Brexit motion.

I should've brought a sleeping bag. If I don't make it out alive, Mr. McDandy gets my LRP gear.
Please, Sam, refuse all offers of fudge.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Ian Lavery on Sky, lying through his fucking teeth.

McCluskey earlier shouting down Beth Rigsby when she tried to interview him. Shocking behaviour, when he couldn't answer he resorted to bullying.

This was why we tried to reduce Trade Union influence. Another one to thank Ed Miliband for.
UKIP

Braine-less - hahahah!

Nigel Farage

I wonder if deep down Nige really wants the UK to […]

Well, that was a pleasant sroll in the sunshine (u[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The @Global moderators could move it into &qu[…]