Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 43.6 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 6.7 % 😯 3.6 % :grinning: 35.6 % 🧥 0.4 % 🙏 1.3 % 😟 2.4 % :cry: 2.4 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:31 pm
It seems possible that the Fuckwits who voted to leave in Wales were - English...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-research

TL:DR - it was areas with large, retired English populations that voted Leave. 'Welsh' areas didn't.
The question of why Wales voted to leave the EU can in large part be answered by the number of English retired people who have moved across the border, research has found.

Despite being one of the biggest beneficiaries of EU funding, Wales voted leave by a majority of 52% to 48% in the 2016 referendum – a result that took some analysts by surprise. However, work by Danny Dorling, a professor of geography at Oxford, found that the result could in part be attributed to the influence of English voters.

“If you look at the more genuinely Welsh areas, especially the Welsh-speaking ones, they did not want to leave the EU,” Dorling told the Sunday Times. “Wales was made to look like a Brexit-supporting nation by its English settlers.”

Also
Dorling’s research, which was presented at the British Science Association’s annual meeting at Warwick University, also suggested that most of the UK’s leave votes did come not from the north of England but the south, with the highest numbers in areas populated with affluent older people, such as Hampshire, Cornwall and Devon.

“The Welsh did not want to quit the EU, but that is one of many false beliefs about Brexit. The biggest is that the pro-leave vote was due to northerners,” he said. “It’s true some northern areas were strongly pro-Brexit, but the population there is too small to swing the vote.

“The real support for Brexit, in terms of numbers of votes, was in places like Cornwall, which was 57% for leave, Hampshire with 54%, Essex with 62% and Norfolk with 57%. It is those southern English voters that are dragging Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland unwillingly out of Europe.

“Everyone blames Wigan and Stoke for Brexit but we should really be blaming Cornwall and Devon.”
I wonder if Ian Lavery has read this?
Dorling's right about all the well off southern Remainers. But on Wales, I'm very doubtful. If I think of well off English retirees in Wales, I don't think of them in Port Talbot, Rhondda or Torfaen, which Leave won easily. I do think of Vale of Glamorgan and Monmouthshire, which voted Remain. So I'd like to see his working. Wales generally has lots of pensioners, and lots of pensioners (even in Scotland) voted Leave.

By Tubby Isaacs
Everyone blames Wigan and Stoke for Brexit but we should really be blaming Cornwall and Devon
In which Danny Dorling discovers that counties are bigger than towns and cities.

Cornwall is by some measures the poorest county in England too. So an odd one to pick on if you want to pin Brexit on the affluent.

By Oblomov
'"honestly she could be putting babies on spikes and it would still be a good thing because her principal use is pulling labour off the fence on brexit. corbyns middle ground 'dont really mind if we brexit' is toxic. corbyns failure to endorse any deal that is presented to parliament under a tory govt means risking no deal. no deal brexit is worse than any austerity any right wing libdem would support."

Liberals nailing their colours to the mast!'

From one of my WhatsApp group chats.

Looks like we're adopting the American definition of liberal :roll:
By WTF?
Membership Days
KevS wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:56 pm
This is beautiful.

British fish? So a fish crosses an arbitrary line on a map and it's granted citizenship and leave to remain. Two human beings on a pedalo, however, is a different story altogether. Brexit cunts.

The late Arthur Thompson, gangster of this parish, is reputed to have murdered a rival by stuffing a fish supper wrapped in newspaper down his throat. There's never an Arthur Thompson around when you need one.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
WTF? wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:55 am
KevS wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:56 pm
This is beautiful.

British fish? So a fish crosses an arbitrary line on a map and it's granted citizenship and leave to remain. Two human beings on a pedalo, however, is a different story altogether. Brexit cunts.

The late Arthur Thompson, gangster of this parish, is reputed to have murdered a rival by stuffing a fish supper wrapped in newspaper down his throat. There's never an Arthur Thompson around when you need one.
You coudn't do that with todays forrin calamari rubbish.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
It's patently transparent that some of these "members of the public" are simply reading from a script.

Last week "100% support Boris".

Today "What law has he broken?"

But the occasional team chant gives the proverbial 110% in demonstrating zero grasp of the constitution or critical thinking.
Today I present.

"Those people saying Boris should resign, three judges ruled his actions were legal (they didn't - ed), so the judges should also resign".

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Watchman wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:18 am
I thought "British" fish, was caught in British water, landed in British ports, processed by British workers......and then sold 75% to Europe
Yebbut what about the immigrant fish that just float in from forrin waters.
No passports or nuthink.

The only way to identify them is by the free car and flat screen telly.
Oblomov, Boiler liked this

By cycloon
Was in a National Trust cafe earlier. Some guy was saying 'i don't care it's illegal' about the ruling.

Sorry, chump, but nobody cares about your opinion. Fuck me the absolute carnage people are unintentionally wreaking, and the worship of their leaders who are intentionally wreaking... Fuck them. It's beyond words.
spoonman, Arrowhead liked this

By MisterMuncher
Fuck that guy. Absolute crying shame he didn't get himself into a nice, swift embrace with a well made reinforced concrete wall, such that a blood sample would be easily drawn from a wide area.

Driving ban, no insurance, driving pished in a 60-odd grand yoke.
Timbo liked this
Nigel Farage

I wonder if deep down Nige really wants the UK to […]

Well, that was a pleasant sroll in the sunshine (u[…]

UKIP

CEO of a sweetie shop driven out by the paper boy.[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The @Global moderators could move it into &qu[…]