Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 33.3 % ❤ 4.2 % :thumbsup: 17.3 % 😯 1.5 % :grinning: 26.1 % 🧥 1.8 % 🙏 3 % 😟 7.3 % :cry: 3.3 % :shit: 2.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I'm reminded of something a tour guide said on a recent episode of the "We Have Ways Of Making You Talk" podcast about the film A Bridge Too Far.

"They watch the film on the coach over here, we then spend three days telling them how everything in it is wrong."
Oblomov, Samanfur liked this
The film is actually pretty accurate in terms of people and events.

A couple of characters are merged, and the junior guy who gets a bollocking for "imagining tanks" did't get blackballed.
However a tour guide would have problems with the locations, because.

a) It was a battlefield and shit got blown up.
b) Those industrious Netherlanders had upgraded their infrastructure between the events and the filming.
oboogie liked this
Kreuzberger wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:35 pm
Bones McCoy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:30 pm
... coprophagist.
Good ol' Mailwatch. Every day's a school day.
I planned to use Coprophile, but I didn't have the PM's classical education, so decided to google it.

Pro Tip: Coprophile may be actionable, don't go there kids.
https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-l ... ar-johnson

Pound up - somebody knows, or thinks they know, something.

Poor old Crispin and Jacob, out of pocket again.
If there is "progress", I'd bet most if not all of it must be coming from the UK side - it's one thing for the Irish government having to set up customs posts as part of EU & WTO obligations should there be a "no deal", it's quite another if they were to willingly agree to actively set up the same as part of a separate agreement. Varadkar & the Fine Gael government aren't exactly massively popular among the domestic Irish electorate right now, but their performance of representing Irish interests concerning Brexit is pretty much giving them a pass for now, with no effective opposition to Varadkar, Conveny etc. and their handling of it in Irish political circles. However, any move change their current stance without a damn God-tier freaking reason for doing so (especially that the EU and a few other interested international parties would appear to have Irish backs on this), would sink FG and almost certainly lead to early elections that Fianna Faíl & Sinn Fein would be ripe to capitalise on.

I'd also like to think Varadkar & Conveny pass every single word Johnson mutters through a bullshit filter at least twice, before they even start to think about trusting anything he says.

My hunch says that the DUP are about to get thrown under a big red bus, but time will tell.
Boiler wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:34 pm
A Wright Bus?
Could well be - seems there has been a big fall out between the owner of the site and Ian Paisley Jnr.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49996934

I'd be tempted to go "Oh Dear, How Sad, Never Mind!" but a complete collapse would be a major hit economically to the area concerning over a thousand jobs.
Wright obviously corrupt and canny enough to hold on for a DUP-led bung of public money to keep him in the style he's become accustomed to when the new owners take over, probably to cover the exorbitant ground rent.

IPJR corrupt and stupid enough to take it on and present himself as the local saviour. Whilst taking a wee tax off the bung in a brown envelope.
spoonman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:22 pm
My hunch says that the DUP are about to get thrown under a big red bus, but time will tell.
Which also means, by definition, the ERG headbangers get pushed under said oncoming vehicle as well. Which is a rather delicious prospect.

The only problem being, of course, that Brexit ultimately happens and we end up outside the EU without even a People’s Vote beforehand.
youngian wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:35 pm
Will Johnson have enough Labour quiet lifers to vote through any agreement? If not its going to be a repeat of May’s defeat.
I think he probably will this time, although the numbers will obviously be a lot closer. There are probably 20-30 Labour MP's who've simply had enough and just want the loud noises to go away.

I suspect, "Spartan" loons aside, Johnson won't have too many problems on his own side this time either. Back in March, it was quite revealing how many so-called Hard Brexiteers ultimately backed May's deal at the third vote - Johnson himself, Rees-Mogg, Raab, Davis, McVey etc. They're not going to pass up the chance own the Remoaners, no matter how Pyrrhic the victory ends up being. Farage will spit feathers, but he always does anyway.
Smoke and mirrors. They are probably just buying time unless Varadkar had chosen to throw himself under a bus or Johnson believes that he can win over the ERG with his legendary charm.

"Pathway", aye - Liverpool.
Boiler, oboogie liked this
UKIP

Braine-less - hahahah!

Nigel Farage

I wonder if deep down Nige really wants the UK to […]

Well, that was a pleasant sroll in the sunshine (u[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The @Global moderators could move it into &qu[…]