Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 33.2 % ❤ 4.8 % :thumbsup: 17.2 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 26.2 % 🧥 2.3 % 🙏 2.8 % 😟 6.8 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Some Eurosceptics suggested their votes against the bill would kill off any hopes still harboured by the independents of being readmitted to the party. Steve Baker, the leader of the European Research Group, referred to Hammond’s seat in Surrey, saying: “It feels like there will be a candidate selection in Runnymede shortly.”
Hammond voted 3 times for May's deal, for Johnson's at 2nd reading. Baker voted against May's deal 3 times. And Hammond is supposed to get deselected?
Johnson is currently doing well in the polls due to him repeating the mantra that Brexit will happen on 31st October but now his plans have it the buffers he has lost his unique selling point. If we have a general election in the next 6 weeks Johnson and the Conservatives will be left trying to sell a Withdrawal Bill that many Tory MPs don't really agree with. On one side of the Tories will be Labour and the Lib Dems offering a second referendum and on the other side will be Farage and the Brexit Party pushing the 'no deal' or 'clean break solution.' In such a scenario it is hard to see where the Tories are going to pick up lots of extra seats.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:32 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 pm
Yes. He could be thinking of new and completely novel ways of fucking up his party and the country.
It wasn't really his fault Burnham/ Cooper didn't show for the leadership contest.
He's to blame for the three-quid Trots and Corbyn.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:54 pm
Hammond has got reselected anyway. Same with Anne Milton. The other 7 rebels are walking out anyway, I think..
Actually, I don't know about Sandbach. She's come in v the government a few times. Don't think she's retiring.
satnav wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 pm
Johnson is currently doing well in the polls due to him repeating the mantra that Brexit will happen on 31st October but now his plans have it the buffers he has lost his unique selling point. If we have a general election in the next 6 weeks Johnson and the Conservatives will be left trying to sell a Withdrawal Bill that many Tory MPs don't really agree with. On one side of the Tories will be Labour and the Lib Dems offering a second referendum and on the other side will be Farage and the Brexit Party pushing the 'no deal' or 'clean break solution.' In such a scenario it is hard to see where the Tories are going to pick up lots of extra seats.
It all comes down to Farage.

If they do a deal with the Tories and selectively stand down they can gift the Tories many many seats. Brexiters, no matter how annoyed with Johhnson they may be, arent going to vote for someone they consider to be a mouldy old north London marxist.

Johnson will play the 'Give me a majority to deliver Brexit' card, and I think he'll get it as the Remain vote splinters.
I suppose this does give more time for Remainer MP's to really highlight how bad the deal is and hammer it home. It gives time for impact assessments to show people just how much this is going to hit the country. There are plenty who will vote it through regardless and in many cases without even reading it but hopefully, with more time for scrutiny, those who are wavering can be worked on. Just a shame I don't trust Labour to do this.
visage wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:13 am
Johnson will play the 'Give me a majority to deliver Brexit' card, and I think he'll get it as the Remain vote splinters.
That didn't work well for May as voters were sophisticated with tactical voting. Remainers will still pile in behind Labour where it is the only serious challenger and Labour voters have shown in the Councils and Euros that they will tactically switch.
visage wrote:
Six words that sum up the awfulness of the political landscape right now. Thankfully, one good thing about the Tories pulling ahead in the polls recently is that they probably no longer see any need to strike a grubby GE deal with Farage.
Boiler liked this
Arrowhead wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 am
visage wrote:
Six words that sum up the awfulness of the political landscape right now. Thankfully, one good thing about the Tories pulling ahead in the polls recently is that they probably no longer see any need to strike a grubby GE deal with Farage.
Let us hope so.
Last night I heard/read a rumour that Farage had been offered a lordship.
My blood froze at the though of that con-artist collecting his free expenses every morning before touring the media studios and raking in appearance fees.
20 more years of the Question Time season ticket.
The Tories, Generally

Narrow profit margins, pressure from big supermark[…]

2019 General Election

Here's how you do it, journo's... https://twitter[…]

Newsnight

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/11972329610[…]

The LibDems, generally

holds out hope of govt of national unity To be […]