Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 57.6 % ❤ 1.2 % :thumbsup: 11 % 😯 1.2 % :grinning: 20.3 % 🧥 0.6 % 🙏 0.6 % 😟 3.5 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 1.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts

I don't like this stuff. Just in terms of the turnover of modern universities, we're talking huge amounts of money to be in charge of. And the skill set goes much wider than just managing money- you have to have academic credibility and knowledge, and be able to fund raise. It's very much an international job market too. Though Labour doubtless thinks it's playing a populist blinder on this stuff, I'm very doubtful it's working politically. People might say "X is paid too much", but many of them probably say "the government needs to interfere less" or "governments shouldn't punish success" at the same time.

Much better though has been the stuff on working conditions in higher education. Go for this, big time.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Angela Rayner: "If Labour get into power on the 13th we will abolish tuition fees. No ifs, no buts. Absolutely

You could replace it with The Student Investment Tax. Its like tuition fees but called a tax and an investment. Doesn’t Scotland do something slippery like that?

By Tubby Isaacs
youngian wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Angela Rayner: "If Labour get into power on the 13th we will abolish tuition fees. No ifs, no buts. Absolutely

You could replace it with The Student Investment Tax. Its like tuition fees but called a tax and an investment. Doesn’t Scotland do something slippery like that?
Think the Lab-LD Coalition had something like that but the SNP scrapped it.

By cycloon
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:50 pm

I don't like this stuff. Just in terms of the turnover of modern universities, we're talking huge amounts of money to be in charge of. And the skill set goes much wider than just managing money- you have to have academic credibility and knowledge, and be able to fund raise. It's very much an international job market too. Though Labour doubtless thinks it's playing a populist blinder on this stuff, I'm very doubtful it's working politically. People might say "X is paid too much", but many of them probably say "the government needs to interfere less" or "governments shouldn't punish success" at the same time.

Much better though has been the stuff on working conditions in higher education. Go for this, big time.
I feel like the two are connected though. Big salary VCs focusing on milking international students and education-as-product... goes hand-in-hand with using post-docs and PhD students on cheaper insecure contracts than lecturers on permanent deals. Cheap cheap cheaaaaap.

By Tubby Isaacs
The bloke complaining there has some pretty heavyweight public service experience, investigating police conduct. Labour isn't exactly overflowing with that sort of thing. In fairness to Claudia Webbe, she's got heavyweight experience too, with Operation Trident, so I'm not saying she's unworthy. Labour could use both of them.

By Tubby Isaacs
Actually, he doesn't come across great from that. Does Labour really need an Asian candidate for that constituency? I know people used to tell Asian politicians to "go and find a seat in Leicester" but that isn't how it should work. And I'm not sure it's constructive to talk about an "anti-Indian" motion being passed at Labour conference, or to tie that to Claudia Webbe because she was in the chair. What was she supposed to do?

By Tubby Isaacs
That "door policy" thing sounds particularly laughable. Like she was a bouncer at Studio 54 or something. Sounds like somebody was being annoying and she stopped them coming into a meeting. That might or might not have been right but the idea it's disqualifying is ridiculous.
oboogie liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
It is, apparently, the case. Someone came late and tried to force their way in despite being told that no-one would be admitted after the meeting had started (an old Trot trick).
oboogie liked this
2019 General Election

Corbyn comes across as weak to many, his tactic[…]

HIGNFY

I can't see the BBC surviving Johnson's first term[…]

The new leader of the Labour Party

On the plus side, if Long Bailey becomes the an[…]

Labour, Generally.

I assumed Blue Labour was either a joke, or a set-[…]